The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
We have at least four televisions in this house, and I only see their product when I interrupt the wife's soap/quiz for cretins crap, or the son's Top Gear or similar. Both of them mostly seem to ignore their screens, as they have another, smaller, mobile one to fixate on. Conditioned by years of watching movies on a laptop screen, I squat before a monitor and write angry letters to Editors inbetween Netflix and Amazon movies.

Johnny Walker must be in his 90s now, but still the only show on BBC Radio I'd listen to (not that I do; weekends on R2 are now exclusive to the LBGT community, and I would be misappropriating their airspace).
Don't know if its still on, but the Blues Show with Cerys Matthews was surpisingly good. As was any show that had Craig Charles as DJ.

Don't know if its still on, but the Blues Show with Cerys Matthews was surpisingly good. As was any show that had Craig Charles as DJ.
I used to listen to Craig Charles' show quite a bit, Talcum Time was a good feature. I believe it was one of R2's highest rated shows, not bad for late on a Saturday night.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to listen to Craig Charles' show quite a bit, Talcum Time was a good feature. I believe it was one of R2's highest rated shows, not bad for late on a Saturday night.
I liked the music too. Some unusual stuff I didn't know previously but good. A complete inversion to Steve Wright alas. Wright seems to deliberately pick the utter dross that time has tried to forget.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Got to agree on Craig Charles - always a blessed relief when Wright is away.

I also used to like when Richard Madeley stood in for Evans. Evidently, so did others as after a while he stopped getting asked back.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As with everything theres half truths and a lot of spin- coupled to a deliberate effort to ascribe an ulterior motive to everything.

No Blacks on Parade = Racist - explained with a spurious claim that allowing black soldiers to take part in the victory parade would undermine the Empire by letting them know they took part in a war.
The reason that it was logistically unfeasible is dismissed probably by someone who hasent considered you couldn't just hop on a flight.

No blacks in pictures of western front
1) Most non European troops garrisoned their homeland and so many weren't active participants
2) The British forces on the Western front were 99% white.

The black soldiers are written out of history - that is sort of true but its an effective omission due to focus on mass casualty battles rather than ulterior motive - Africa was an unimportant side show - and history very much concentrates on the European theatre - So yes African troops are effectively forgotten - but then so were lots of white troops who served there as well.
Perhaps if schools werent so keen to push the lions donkeys and the 1st day of the Somme was every day (except 1917 when it was muddier) a broader sense of events may be disseminated

Its not so much we failed to acknowledge ethnic contributions - more that regardless of colour if you were in an unimportant theatre you're forgotten (in WW2 its D Day dodgers Italy - Forgotten army Burma and of course many don't realise Indian troops were used to occupy Iran)
Not disagreeing with you but in my case i grew up knowing how the Ghurkas, Sihks, Bombay Lancers etc were elite units in John Company and then the British Army,
I also switched on R5 a few days ago to catch the news headlines and as usual i had to listen to a few minutes of verbal garbage first, in this case about how some one who had got a job was 'horribly white'. That in my opinion is anti indigenous population racism.

Not disagreeing with you but in my case i grew up knowing how the Ghurkas, Sihks, Bombay Lancers etc were elite units in John Company and then the British Army,
I also switched on R5 a few days ago to catch the news headlines and as usual i had to listen to a few minutes of verbal garbage first, in this case about how some one who had got a job was 'horribly white'. That in my opinion is anti indigenous population racism.
Horribly white? Unchallenged? I can't imagine the phrase 'horribly black' being tolerated.

'horribly white'.
Perhaps misquoting Greg Dyke back in 2001?
Greg Dyke, the director-general of the BBC, has condemned the corporation as 'hideously white' and said its race relations are as bad as those in some police forces.

Well, once more into the breach BBC, The telegraph article is paywalled, but the opening sentence says it all.

The BBC should take a greater role in children's education and replace some of the “traditional” elements of teaching, one of its senior executives has suggested.
Does the BBC really think that Joe or Jane Blogg's, would be happy or think the BBC is capable of anything other than re-education. Give the growth of people dumping their TV licences, I think we can surmise that it is largely a NO.

Purnell was a weasel when in government and thus on leaving "politics" for a little jaunt with the left wing, "Institute for Public Policy Research". Moving to the BBC as 'Director of Strategy' was a obviously a good fit, for an ex Labour politician even if it meant giving up his labour party membership.

Purnell was a weasel when in government
I thought the name familiar.

Purnell was one of many MPs involved in political difficulties following the revelations of the 2009 expenses scandal. He told the parliamentary authorities that his main home was in Manchester and claimed the "second home" allowance for his flat in London. In October 2004, he sold his London flat but told HM Revenue and Customs it was his "principal home", not his "second home". A spokesman on behalf of Purnell said that "Any allegation that James avoided capital gains tax is completely untrue. When he bought his constituency home, the sale of his London flat fell through, but it was sold within the period that HMRC continue to treat it as not being liable for CGT ... This would have been true for any taxpayer – there was no special treatment".[13] Also in 2004, Purnell claimed £395 for an accountant's bill which included "tax advice provided in October 2004 regarding sale of flat".[13][14]

Whilst renting a flat between 2004 and 2006, Purnell claimed £100 a month for cleaning expenses and £586 for repairs. At the end of the lease, the landlord kept the £2,520 deposit, claiming the flat to have been in a poor state. A spokesman for Purnell stated: "James felt frustrated that the landlord refused to return the deposit. He initially pursued the matter through legal channels but let it rest as the costs of fighting it further would far outweigh recouping the deposit".[15] Allegation were made by a Sunday newspaper that Purnell claimed more than £1,500 a month rent for the flat although he was responsible for paying half of the £1,820 a month rent and his fiancée was paying the rest. A spokesman for Purnell said "Despite being entitled to claim in full for the whole rental cost incurred by him and his partner, James claimed less than the amount he himself spent. The rules of the House of Commons make it clear that an MP is entitled to be reimbursed for the rent or mortgage paid by the MP and their partner. Nevertheless, James went out of his way to ensure overall he claimed less for accommodation than he himself paid".[16]Purnell also claimed £247 for 3,000 fridge magnets.[17]
Wikipedia.

Oops

War Hero
BBC is RACIST.........

About 20.45 on BBC news channel, a typical, sneeringly condacending report on BAME NHS Drs. In Hull being mistaken for Foreigners etc.

Interviewing Junior Medics mistaken for cleaners etc......
Six of em interviewed all telling their stories, so far so good...

I'm watching at Th'owd folks' house, so they've got Subtitles running...
First Dr. a young lady named Valerie...
Yup, no problems on that score..

Next was , I'm guessing a Sri Lankan chap,
followed by an Indian....
You'd do ok at Scrabble with their names iykwim...

The subtitles froze then disappeared...
It didn't reappear even for the Prof. (White English Lady) who told us how awful we all are, for not being inclusive enough.....(could've just been Hull, she'd probably have a point)

Maybe the Beeb's subtitle AI coding was written in Hull also, eh?
Will Emily have a rant about it?
Will the NewsTeam 'take a knee'?

BBC is RACIST.........

About 20.45 on BBC news channel, a typical, sneeringly condacending report on BAME NHS Drs. In Hull being mistaken for Foreigners etc.

Interviewing Junior Medics mistaken for cleaners etc......
Six of em interviewed all telling their stories, so far so good...

I'm watching at Th'owd folks' house, so they've got Subtitles running...
First Dr. a young lady named Valerie...
Yup, no problems on that score..

Next was , I'm guessing a Sri Lankan chap,
followed by an Indian....
You'd do ok at Scrabble with their names iykwim...

The subtitles froze then disappeared...
It didn't reappear even for the Prof. (White English Lady) who told us how awful we all are, for not being inclusive enough.....(could've just been Hull, she'd probably have a point)

Maybe the Beeb's subtitle AI coding was written in Hull also, eh?
Will Emily have a rant about it?
Will the NewsTeam 'take a knee'?
I doubt many hospital cleaners have a stethoscope round their necks: junior docs on the other hand...

Well, once more into the breach BBC, The telegraph article is paywalled, but the opening sentence says it all.

Does the BBC really think that Joe or Jane Blogg's, would be happy or think the BBC is capable of anything other than re-education. Give the growth of people dumping their TV licences, I think we can surmise that it is largely a NO.
The BBC is haemorrhaging younger viewers - in the guise of educator it probably sees an opportunity to re-programme the little bastards cherubs before they get to the point where they too decide the Beeb is shorthand for shite.

Purnell for The BBC BrainWashing Dept said:
The BBC should take a greater role in children's education and replace some of the “traditional” elements of teaching, one of its senior executives has suggested.

James Purnell, head of radio and education, said the BBC had created such excellent online content for schoolchildren during the Covid-19 crisis that it had changed the game.

The BBC now has “a huge opportunity” to increase its reach in the education field, he said.

Latest Threads