The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

ericferret

War Hero

Addition

There was a TV program as well but I can't find a reference.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I watched 1917 at the weekend. SWMBO could hear me tutting and mumbling and asked at the end what was wrong.

Like many recent period films, war and non-war, the eye for detail for costumes and so on was very impressive. We're a long way from the 1960s Hollywood takes on WW2 where everyone had 1960s and not 1940s haircuts.

But, there were smatterings of non-white faces in places that just wouldn't have happened at the time.

Even with the white actors, there were issues - for instance, regional accents from all over the country rather than from a single place. For instance, the guys from the Dorsets would have all sounded like they were from Dorset. There wouldn't have been a smattering of Geordies, Cockneys and so on.

It's not racist to be historically correct rather than politically correct.
Not necessarily so. By 1917 most of the local battalions had replacements from places other than their recruitment area. For instance, the book I reviewed recently 12 Days on the Somme makes the point that the reinforcements were not from West Yorks but London area and accents to match.

I like a television, its a place where the family come togetherand so have a stake in the future of the BBC,
Would it not fall over? Ever thought of using the dining table? Reading?
you seemingly do not have any interest and I'm certain if the BBC were taking a brexity/pro trump line you would be whinging as much as anyone on this thread.
Once again you resort to making shit up "because Brexit" innit? Here's a decent listen for you. do try to keep your attention focused for more than 5 minutes.

As you are invariably rude in your posts anyway, I fail to see your point.
I treat people as I find them, play nice and I play nice.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Not necessarily so. By 1917 most of the local battalions had replacements from places other than their recruitment area. For instance, the book I reviewed recently 12 Days on the Somme makes the point that the reinforcements were not from West Yorks but London area and accents to match.
Happy to be corrected.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Even with the white actors, there were issues - for instance, regional accents from all over the country rather than from a single place. For instance, the guys from the Dorsets would have all sounded like they were from Dorset. There wouldn't have been a smattering of Geordies, Cockneys and so on.
I had an uncle who was a regular in the Buffs, but later was transferred to the London Regt as an instructor. Finally he finished up in the Middlesex Regt. I can only assume the moves were to reinforce Regts due to casualties.

ETA Sorry, just seen #746.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I had an uncle who was a regular in the Buffs, but later was transferred to the London Regt as an instructor. Finally he finished up in the Middlesex Regt. I can only assume the moves were to reinforce Regts due to casualties.

ETA Sorry, just seen #746.
To be best, I did think BCRs, or whatever they were called back in the day. But it also seemed that no two accents were the same.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
From Wikipedia on the film’s historical accuracy:

“The film has a multiracial supporting cast, with black and Indian actors portraying British soldiers in the trenches. In reality, the number of black soldiers serving in the British Army (rather than colonial regiments) during World War I is unknown but is likely to have been negligible. The 2nd Devonshire Regiment was never brigaded with any West Indian or African units (it spent the war in 8th Division). Over 15,000 men from the Caribbean enlisted, including black Caribbeans living in Britain, and by 1915 it was decided to group them together into a single regiment, named the British West Indies Regiment. Indian Sikhs would have served in their own regiments as part of the British Indian Army, not as individuals in the ranks of British regiments and Corps. By the end of 1915, the Indian infantry formations had been withdrawn from the Western Front and sent to the Middle East.“

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Certainly the case for my Grandfather who joined from his home in Colchester in 1915. He and his cousin from the next street ended up in the West Kents.
His cousin is still in France, having survived two weeks near Arras.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BBC breakfast show this morning talking about the kids getting their school 'exam' results. Cue the National Students Union coming on and the only topic she had was disadvantaged groups would be disadvantaged by these results. Straight into how unfair it is, no discussion by her of the process, just a moan - before any results are known.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC breakfast show this morning talking about the kids getting their school 'exam' results. Cue the National Students Union coming on and the only topic she had was disadvantaged groups would be disadvantaged by these results. Straight into how unfair it is, no discussion by her of the process, just a moan - before any results are known.
That would include white kids from the lower classes, then - currently the poorest performers.

Good on her, I say.

(Even if it's probably not the demographic she was alluding to...)

Truxx

LE
I thought everything school wise was rosy up there in Scotland ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That would include white kids from the lower classes, then - currently the poorest performers.

Good on her, I say.

(Even if it's probably not the demographic she was alluding to...)
Indeed and she was very careful with her words not naming any group, so she gets the benefit of doubt.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought everything school wise was rosy up there in Scotland ?
Yes, every thing is hunky-dory with St Nic (pbuh) running the show.....

in to the ground!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, aye.

Steve Wright is 30 years past his sell-by date.
To be fair, so is my taste in music.

Best thing on Radio 2 is Johnny Walker's Sounds of the Seventies on a Sunday afternoon, sadly bracketed by Elaine fcuking Paige playing show tunes for two hours from 1-3, and an animal obsessed, unamusing, cross-dressing Scouser from 5 onwards, possibly to infinity (or at least it feels like it lisstening to the cnut).

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair, so is my taste in music.

Best thing on Radio 2 is Johnny Walker's Sounds of the Seventies on a Sunday afternoon, sadly bracketed by Elaine fcuking Paige playing show tunes for two hours from 1-3, and an animal obsessed, unamusing, cross-dressing Scouser from 5 onwards, possibly to infinity (or at least it feels like it lisstening to the cnut).
It’s the style of presentation. I found Evans annoying but there was no faulting the choice of tunes.

I like a television, its a place where the family come together and so have a stake in the future of the BBC, you seemingly do not have any interest and I'm certain if the BBC were taking a brexity/pro trump line you would be whinging as much as anyone on this thread.
We have at least four televisions in this house, and I only see their product when I interrupt the wife's soap/quiz for cretins crap, or the son's Top Gear or similar. Both of them mostly seem to ignore their screens, as they have another, smaller, mobile one to fixate on. Conditioned by years of watching movies on a laptop screen, I squat before a monitor and write angry letters to Editors inbetween Netflix and Amazon movies.
Johnny Walker must be in his 90s now, but still the only show on BBC Radio I'd listen to (not that I do; weekends on R2 are now exclusive to the LBGT community, and I would be misappropriating their airspace).

Latest Threads