The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

WW Err, NTD is a senior teacher at an academy in South London, has been working full-time on-line teaching her students four days a week, then runs her maternity/paternity teacher charity in her ‘spare’ time, writes for the TES and looks after two small children. She works more hours than you have ever done.

WW Really? What do you think they do? Do you think they eat ice cream all day? Or perhaps they produce lesson plans for the next term and discuss and produce welfare plans with their colleagues and social care colleagues? Have a guess.

ETA: either you’re being deliberately daft or you don’t have a clue. I have watched three generations of my teaching relatives work their arses off - NTD in particular (she can be found on the interweb if you look for MTPT).

Oh, and she does online radio broadcasts to help teachers with their mental health issues. Sleeps about 3 hours a night.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks​

Daz

LE
‘only actually works four days a week’ ... what do you think the rest of the stuff is? Fun? Voluntary stuff, running a worldwide charity, doing a radio show, appearing on the BBC, writing for the TES, helping colleagues and strangers, is not work?
Voluntary is not paid employment, what she chooses to do in her own time is her own concern, however, it's not her "work", those's 4 days when she's paid by her employer.

Daz

LE
I concede that you are correct. My initial rebuttal was regarding the ‘lazy teachers’ comment. I have never been taught by or met a ‘lazy’ teacher.
Lucky you, I have, teaching is no different to any other profession, there's good, there's bad and there are indifferent teachers out there, just like any other trade.

WW Err, NTD is a senior teacher at an academy in South London, has been working full-time on-line teaching her students four days a week, then runs her maternity/paternity teacher charity in her ‘spare’ time, writes for the TES and looks after two small children. She works more hours than you have ever done.

WW Really? What do you think they do? Do you think they eat ice cream all day? Or perhaps they produce lesson plans for the next term and discuss and produce welfare plans with their colleagues and social care colleagues? Have a guess.

ETA: either you’re being deliberately daft or you don’t have a clue. I have watched three generations of my teaching relatives work their arses off - NTD in particular (she can be found on the interweb if you look for MTPT).

The lady doth protest too much, methinks​

sed -e s/protest/work/

‘only actually works four days a week’ ... what do you think the rest of the stuff is? Fun? Voluntary stuff, running a worldwide charity, doing a radio show, appearing on the BBC, writing for the TES, helping colleagues and strangers, is not work?

Couldn’t/shouldn’t she simply step back from one or two of the projects she involved in?
The radio show, or appearing on the BBC?

There are only so many hours in a year. No (wo)man is an Island.

Seriously. I've never seen so many land whales waddling around wearing NHS ID lanyards. Surely some of them must be REMFS, they can't all be front line heroes.
I know someone who, during last Springs NHS hagiography changed their social media profile picture to a green coverall clad selfie, underscored by the motto “I drive an ambulance”.
They work in patient transfer, so basically a taxi driver.

Couldn’t/shouldn’t she simply step back from one or two of the projects she involved in?
The radio show, or appearing on the BBC?

There are only so many hours in a year. No (wo)man is an Island.
Yup, we try to tell her to wind it down, but she’s a workaholic, always has been since a teenager. How do you tell a teenaged girl that she can’t play netball, be the captain of the hockey team, play tennis, play Kwik cricket, play violin, viola, bassoon?

elovabloke

ADC
Start a “Those that can do and those that don’t teach“ thread instead of derailing this one.

Start a “Those that can do and those that don’t teach“ thread instead of derailing this one.
What's this one about? Everything that annoys people for any reason whatsoever is the fault of the BBC?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yup, we try to tell her to wind it down, but she’s a workaholic, always has been since a teenager. How do you tell a teenaged girl that she can’t play netball, be the captain of the hockey team, play tennis, play Kwik cricket, play violin, viola, bassoon?
Tell them to get their nickers off?

You realise, of course, being a grate brane, that it takes more time and effort for a teacher to prepare lessons over Zoom etc. then it does for a classroom.
The relevance to what you've quoted being what?
Must be just a coincidence that I have a neighbour who teaches who tells me that she's only been working for one day a week.
Maybe she's the only one.

Voluntary is not paid employment, what she chooses to do in her own time is her own concern, however, it's not her "work", those's 4 days when she's paid by her employer.

But she looks after her own kids an' everything . . . . Grrr

SWMBO was a teacher when we met. I saw some sheer incompetence take a very committed and very work-oriented individual close to a breakdown. I also some rank favouritism based on some people being gay.

Bending over a pool table in a crowded pub on a staff night out and shouting "Does anyone want to fück me up the árse?!" resulted in a mild rebuke via a memo to all about behaviour.

But you still married her. Fair play

Latest Threads