The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

The RCN is also setting up a 35mn quid "strike" fund! Let the NHS go on strike and see where all of that good will they've managed to get over the past year goes! Let's see how proud they'd be to wear NHS ID/insignia out on the street when due to their actions in striking, most of the population now regard them as lower than a Romanian Big Issue seller when the "strike" has cost them Granny/Grandad/Auntie Mabel etc.
35m strike fund. National treasure Captain Tom raises 35m, coincidence? I think not

I do really, but that won't stop the Facebook frenzy.

I note with a certain cynicism that the 1800 News lead with Oh the humanity! Why have this cruel and heartless Boris Grrr government given a paltry 1% pay rise to Our NHS Angels when the RCN says that the figure should have been 12.5% !

12.5%?! are you having a giraffe?

It was someway through the piece that the Beeb seemed to grudgingly admit that, of all the Public Sector, the NHS is the only branch to receive any form of reward.

grrrr.
Maybe the teachers who've sat on their arrse on full pay for the greater part of the past year could contribute.

In July 2003 he had an off-the-record conversation with Andrew Gilligan, a BBC journalist; during their discussion they talked about the 2002 dossier on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, which stated that some of Iraq's chemical and biological weapons were deployable within 45 minutes. When Gilligan reported this on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he stated that the 45 minute claim was included at the insistence of Alastair Campbell, the Downing Street Director of Communications—something Kelly denied.
Edit
No need for an informative @Truxx

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I note with a certain cynicism that the 1800 News lead with Oh the humanity! Why have this cruel and heartless Boris Grrr government given a paltry 1% pay rise to Our NHS Angels when the RCN says that the figure should have been 12.5% !

12.5%?! are you having a giraffe?

It was someway through the piece that the Beeb seemed to grudgingly admit that, of all the Public Sector, the NHS is the only branch to receive any form of reward.

grrrr.
And no mention anywhere of the 30% some of them received last year.

IMHO they could have another rise, say 50% of the money they recovered from health tourists. That would make them realise that refusing to help collect it has consequences.

Although it's expected you'd defend your profession, my neighbour for one.
I'm not so much defending my profession as calling out a ridiculous generalisation. How do you know what your neighbour has or hasn't been doing?

I've just spent several hours of my afternoon marking a set of tests that I spent several hours writing last week. I'll do the same thing tomorrow for another couple of sets that I wrote last Saturday. I'm working like normal as are all of my colleagues and the majority are doing more than usual. The primary teachers I know in other areas are still working as is the person who teaches in a PRU. My colleagues' family members that teach in other schools are working. All of the primary schools I go past on my way to work have been open with kids in.

If you'd posted "Maybe the squaddies who've sat on their arrse on full pay for the greater part of the past year could contribute" then people would have rightly pointed out that was nonsense. Same thing.

I'm sure there have been some lazy teachers that have used COVID as an excuse to sit around and do nothing. Their (lack of) impact is probably cancelled out by their lazy equivalents in the NHS.

Right, I'm done biting for today :) Edited as it's Current Affairs to remove naughty words.

Edit again - the situation isn't helped by the majority of public opinion being formed by the teaching unions which are by and large a pile of useless bellends with a vastly overinflated sense of importance.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If you'd posted "Maybe the squaddies who've sat on their arrse on full pay for the greater part of the past year could contribute" then people would have rightly pointed out that was nonsense. Same thing.
That is a fair bite-back.

What I'm less impressed with is the demands for NHS staff to be awarded pay rises for doing the job they signed up for.

Which is what it comes down to.

That is a fair bite-back.

What I'm less impressed with is the demands for NHS staff to be awarded pay rises for doing the job they signed up for.

Which is what it comes down to.
Don't forget all that lovely overtime loot.

It occurs to me that the military are the only public service that do not get overtime pay for all the extra hours they work. I've heard all the X-Factor and 24/7 arguments and they are weak at best. I know that it is also very common for soldiers to work fewer hours than most people, but things like the Covid 'all hands to the pump' scenario throw the overtime deficit into sharp relief.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't forget all that lovely overtime loot.

It occurs to me that the military are the only public service that do not get overtime pay for all the extra hours they work. I've heard all the X-Factor and 24/7 arguments and they are weak at best. I know that it is also very common for soldiers to work fewer hours than most people, but things like the Covid 'all hands to the pump' scenario, throw the overtime deficit into sharp relief.
Yebbut. NHS. Heroes.

Maybe the teachers who've sat on their arrse on full pay for the greater part of the past year could contribute.
Err, NTD is a senior teacher at an academy in South London, has been working full-time on-line teaching her students four days a week, then runs her maternity/paternity teacher charity in her ‘spare’ time, writes for the TES and looks after two small children. She works more hours than you have ever done.

Err, NTD is a senior teacher at an academy in South London, has been working full-time on-line teaching her students four days a week, then runs her maternity/paternity teacher charity in her ‘spare’ time, writes for the TES and looks after two small children. She works more hours than you have ever done.

Four days a week?

That's some modern-day slavery right there.

Do NOT diss teachers. Wooden Wonder will be displeased. The Old Man, fighter pilot for twelve years, retrained as a woodwork, technical drawing, metalwork and occasional English teacher. SWMBO rose to head teacher of a special needs school. As noted, NTD, is a ******* legend. Apologies, but where the **** would we be without teachers?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Why not? After all they're fair game when it comes to holidays in normal times.
Really? What do you think they do? Do you think they eat ice cream all day? Or perhaps they produce lesson plans for the next term and discuss and produce welfare plans with their colleagues and social care colleagues? Have a guess.

ETA: either you’re being deliberately daft or you don’t have a clue. I have watched three generations of my teaching relatives work their arses off - NTD in particular (she can be found on the interweb if you look for MTPT).

Last edited:
Apologies, but where the **** would we be without teachers?
I'd be on 80% pay for 0% work for a start.

Still, we can't all be like 2 Mercian on their paid holiday to Kenya. [/sarcasm]

Any chance of a mod pruning this divergence off into a more appropriate thread?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, and she does online radio broadcasts to help teachers with their mental health issues. Sleeps about 3 hours a night.
SWMBO was a teacher when we met. I saw some sheer incompetence take a very committed and very work-oriented individual close to a breakdown. I also some rank favouritism based on some people being gay.

Bending over a pool table in a crowded pub on a staff night out and shouting "Does anyone want to fück me up the árse?!" resulted in a mild rebuke via a memo to all about behaviour.

One member of staff asking about another's sexuality, in order to not cause offence, and being told "Yes, she's a lesbian but just ask her about it - she's quite open and not offended" resulted in a sacking over 'privacy'.

A small insight but also true.

I watched someone work as a baby teacher for £16k/yr north of 70 hours a week because 'professionals' hadn't put a coherent plan of work together - something which she'd warned, because she'd come from a commercial background, was a risk. She was told to shut up and stop being negative.

There are some good, committed teachers. There are also some whining, militant shíts, frankly.

I've an immense amount of respect for the good ones. The highly unionised and indoctrinated 'committed public servants' can bugger off.

Latest Threads