The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

There is a popular programme on Radio Scotland called 'Off the Ball' which brands itself as 'the most petty and ill-informed programme on radio' and revolves around football. I quite enjoy it generally as it's hosts, Tam Cowan and Stewart Cosgrove, do not support the Old Firm and the banter can be quite funny although I realise it's a bit of a Marmite programme. Cosgrove, however, lets his politics float to the surface far too often for my liking and is never pulled up for it. On the other hand Cowan was once suspended for saying nobody cared about women's football.

Each week they have guests who are sometimes allowed to get a word in edgeways and today's guest was Etienne somebody who has apparently created Scotland's first black cartoon superhero. I wish the guy well but he was only on for that reason as we haven't, afaik, had any other kind of Scottish cartoon superhero. (Does that guy in the Simpsons count?)

We got to know of his 'journey' as he's from DR Congo via somewhere else as his parents left him behind when they came here. Needless to say, the chap got the red carpet treatment from Cosgrove although the bloke seems bemused by much of said banter. (Mind you I'm not sure many people know where *Blan're is.)

*Blantyre

Thought this was your Scottish black superhero. Makhatini from Maritzburg.

ACAB

LE
Seriously, am I missing something here or is this possibly the biggest non-story yet?

From the BBC, posted yesterday, with a helpful picture of a helpful Police Officer. Out of sight are rioting public order issues and absolute carnage.

View attachment 551341
I'm calling BS on that. I live in Hythe and have yet to hear / see any negative repercussions re Brexit

Ski Sunday is now politically contaminated. SKI SUNDAY!

I like watching this programme as I am a very keen skier (I'm a ski instructor but have decided not to mention it) and thoroughly enjoy watching the skill and perseverance displayed by the top end practitioners (Even boarders).

Today after showing the highlights from the World Championships in Cortina, the scene changed to the top of a lift area somewhere. Two presenters, one male one female, look into the camera and it goes something like this: "No matter where you ski, N.America, Europe or anywhere else: There is one thing that all these places have in common. The participants are almost exclusively white...." I didn't hear the rest as I changed channels.

For god's sake, it's Ski Sunday, "A magazine programme, dedicated to bringing you the latest news on ski-ing, snowboarding and winter sports from around the world."

I mean...come on!

I like watching this programme as I am a very keen skier (I'm a ski instructor but have decided not to mention it) and thoroughly enjoy watching the skill and perseverance displayed by the top end practitioners (Even boarders).

Today after showing the highlights from the World Championships in Cortina, the scene changed to the top of a lift area somewhere. Two presenters, one male one female, look into the camera and it goes something like this: "No matter where you ski, N.America, Europe or anywhere else: There is one thing that all these places have in common. The participants are almost exclusively white...." I didn't hear the rest as I changed channels.

For god's sake, it's Ski Sunday, "A magazine programme, dedicated to bringing you the latest news on ski-ing, snowboarding and winter sports from around the world."

I mean...come on!
Basketball is the same

Capture.PNG

Covid 19 2021?

I mean...come on!
Try putting the alternative argument for the 100m

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

"A request for an armed forces leaver who had a positive experience of transitioning to civilian life and accessing support was made to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) but it said it could not be arranged in time for publication."

Really?
That's a very interesting observation to me, a SSAFA mentor, and other mentors.

There's more support now than there has ever been. And, be clear, that's in relative and absolute terms. If people need help, they can access it.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I gather the BBC has now turned its attention to the Blitz with a new programme explaining just how terrible people were to be committing crimes in the past, during all that bombing.

I gather the BBC has now turned its attention to the Blitz with a new programme explaining just how terrible people were to be committing crimes in the past, during all that bombing.
white people?

Those nice Germans (from the EU don't you know) were just bombing to stop antisocial behaviour. Some of those cockernees probably didn't embrace diversity either.

That Mr Hitler was terribly misunderstood as well. He was just pre-empting those terrible Zionists who are so nasty to the nice Palestinians........

I mean...come on!
It would be interesting to know if the BBC have some kind of toolkit, or detailed form that every programme has to fill in to tick its diversity box. Or, this is a product of the 'working to the fuhrer' and the programme makers themselves just decided to do it on a whim.

Walter_Ego

Old-Salt
It would be interesting to know if the BBC have some kind of toolkit, or detailed form that every programme has to fill in to tick its diversity box. Or, this is a product of the 'working to the fuhrer' and the programme makers themselves just decided to do it on a whim.
It's a very good point .I'd love to see minutes from production meetings for programmes around Heinz 57 , er MLKjr 57th anniversary of assassination

Dread

LE

"A request for an armed forces leaver who had a positive experience of transitioning to civilian life and accessing support was made to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) but it said it could not be arranged in time for publication."

Really?

[super-strength tinfoil hat + tongue in cheek] The MoD/taxman/government has 'lost' nearly all service leavers who aren't collecting a pension.

Without collecting the data from the census, how else are councils going to ensure that ex-military are at the back of every housing queue (and never move up the ladder) or evicted from current accommodation? How else will the NHS know to make a veteran wait 18 months for cancer treatment while Common Purpose tofu knitters are rushed to the front? How much easier it will be for the Momentum Stazi to round-up veterans when Labour get back in office?
[/super-strength tinfoil hat+ tongue in cheek]

I read the previous comments about BBC Ski Sunday and I thought people might be interested in this. I have to declare an interest as I am white, working class and grew up in a council estate in Birmingham. Oh yes, I came from from what was described as 'a broken home' in those days, now described as single parent family. The thing is, like the majority of people, I've never felt entitled.
"What's this got to do with Ski Sunday?", you ask. Here's the answer, it will be difficult but stick it out to the end if you are able.

The clip starts at 22:50 on the slide...

This is more evidence for why the BBC license fee should be abolished but in my opinion the BBC needs to be completely overhauled. It saddens me to say this but I read recently the one of my favourite radio shows Just A Minute on Radio 4 is returning. Nicholas Parsons was the chairman (I'm a rebel, aren't I) but he passed on recently so there will be a new chair every week like HIGNFY and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. When I heard that Nish Kumar will be one of the guest 'chairs' I decided, that was it for me.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I read the previous comments about BBC Ski Sunday and I thought people might be interested in this. I have to declare an interest as I am white, working class and grew up in a council estate in Birmingham. Oh yes, I came from from what was described as 'a broken home' in those days, now described as single parent family. The thing is, like the majority of people, I've never felt entitled.
"What's this got to do with Ski Sunday?", you ask. Here's the answer, it will be difficult but stick it out to the end if you are able.

The clip starts at 22:50 on the slide...

This is more evidence for why the BBC license fee should be abolished but in my opinion the BBC needs to be completely overhauled. It saddens me to say this but I read recently the one of my favourite radio shows Just A Minute on Radio 4 is returning. Nicholas Parsons was the chairman (I'm a rebel, aren't I) but he passed on recently so there will be a new chair every week like HIGNFY and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. When I heard that Nish Kumar will be one of the guest 'chairs' I decided, that was it for me.
They will be complaining that the snow is white next!

Latest Threads