The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Just because you can, it does not mean you have to.
I can understand that process, but for myself, I usually read his passive aggressive output with interest and try to understand what motivates him... Every decade has a new zeitgeist, that moves and tries to control us. Some people become possessed by the geist of there youth and others pick and choose bits as they're go, usually the bits that make there personal circumstance better. In your mans case, its more unusual and he seems to actively dislike the past and is rarely a foot, outside of lockstep with the the Twitter zeitgeist.

That generally tells me he is not really interested in anything, except winning an argument and failing an outright win, adopts his chippy passive persona. My own view of life, is more complicated and in the case of the BBC it flips flops constantly, because I can see the benefits of a public broadcaster.

The BBC itself is changing, but not for the better and its pursuit of the international has saw it neglect the proles in the regions to the extent this debate is so acrid.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I can understand that process, but for myself, I usually read his passive aggressive output with interest and try to understand what motivates him... Every decade has a new zeitgeist, that moves and tries to control us. Some people become possessed by the geist of there youth and others pick and choose bits as they're go, usually the bits that make there personal circumstance better. In your mans case, its more unusual and he seems to actively dislike the past and is rarely a foot, outside of lockstep with the the Twitter zeitgeist.

That generally tells me he is not really interested in anything, except winning an argument and failing an outright win, adopts his chippy passive persona. My own view of life, is more complicated and in the case of the BBC it flips flops constantly, because I can see the benefits of a public broadcaster.

The BBC itself is changing, but not for the better and its pursuit of the international has saw it neglect the proles in the regions to the extent this debate is so acrid.
It doesn't report much international news these days, apart from Trump Bad Grrr.

Nothing or very short mentions about South African farm murders, Italian economy, German Banks, Chinese floods and wars, Indian rapiness or seriously dangerous politics, Belarus, Crimea, Libya...

Just fluff and victims to pursue their agenda.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It doesn't report much international news these days, apart from Trump Bad Grrr.

Nothing or very short mentions about South African farm murders, Italian economy, German Banks, Chinese floods and wars, Indian rapiness or seriously dangerous politics, Belarus, Crimea, Libya...

Just fluff and victims to pursue their agenda.
Reporting much of that stuff would show the Tories in a good light. Can’t have that.

Come come now dear lady... the BBC News is second to none and here is a perfect example, screen grabbed but a moment ago and thus right up to the minute:

1596445150002.png

Why on earth does the BBC think this is a ‘Must See’? It either (a) doesn’t know it’s audience or (b) it is actively trying to re-educate us by ramming its own agenda down our throats.

Must see? My Arrse.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuinely, other than the grilling he got off Andrew Neil, how/when else was he given a hard ride?

Even during the AN interview, he was only really asked to demonstrate how the sums were going to add up. Being asked the same question several times because of failing to answer it isn't victimisation, it's pressing the point. Nor is not slavishly agreeing with someone, or leaving unchallenged contentious assertions.
IMHO the BBC did have a bias against Corbyn when he was in charge(try not to laugh) of the Labour Party; not as extreme as their bias against the Tories or Brexit, but it was there. Rather than straight reporting, they were constantly looking for the negative angle (which there were so, so many to choose from). Whilst that is situation normal for any Conservative, for a Labour leader it's a novelty nowadays. Look at a the soft glove treatment Sir Keir Starmer receives, compare and contrast.

I don't want the BBC to bring back It Ain't Half Hot Mum (much as it was funny, it was of its time), or start playing the National Anthem at close down (if there were such a thing); what I do want is a level playing field of reportage rather than the constant support of a metropolitan, liberal, pro-European, anti-American, national self-hating agenda, specifically in News and Current Affairs programming across all formats.

(I would like to halt to the creeping invasion of Radio 2 by a procession of female / BAME/ LGBTQ presenters with zero broadcasting talent, replacing the previous generation of DJs who regardless of their sexuality, gender or colour were actually good at their jobs, but that's just 53 year old me).

Come come now dear lady... the BBC News is second to none and here is a perfect example, screen grabbed but a moment ago and thus right up to the minute:

View attachment 494230

Why on earth does the BBC think this is a ‘Must See’? It either (a) doesn’t know it’s audience or (b) it is actively trying to re-educate us by ramming its own agenda down our throats.

Must see? My Arrse.
Interesting story though, Americans 'returning' to Africa.
I know of a few that 'returned' from the states, never having been anywhere near the Armpit. It was hilarious. One of them was on the run from the FBI for 419 scamming, telling everyone who would listen. Unfortunately for him, I drank with the US popo at the consulate and his stay was short.
What it does and should tell us, is that they believe that the US is not their home....maybe the idea will catch on.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
IMHO the BBC did have a bias against Corbyn when he was in charge(try not to laugh) of the Labour Party; not as extreme as their bias against the Tories or Brexit, but it was there. Rather than straight reporting, they were constantly looking for the negative angle (which there were so, so many to choose from). Whilst that is situation normal for any Conservative, for a Labour leader it's a novelty nowadays. Look at a the soft glove treatment Sir Keir Starmer receives, compare and contrast.

I don't want the BBC to bring back It Ain't Half Hot Mum (much as it was funny, it was of its time), or start playing the National Anthem at close down (if there were such a thing); what I do want is a level playing field of reportage rather than the constant support of a metropolitan, liberal, pro-European, anti-American, national self-hating agenda, specifically in News and Current Affairs programming across all formats.

(I would like to halt to the creeping invasion of Radio 2 by a procession of female / BAME/ LGBTQ presenters with zero broadcasting talent, replacing the previous generation of DJs who regardless of their sexuality, gender or colour were actually good at their jobs, but that's just 53 year old me).
And that's a fair viewpoint. I'd certainly agree that Laura K was very keen to talk up just how well SKS did against BoJo during their initial encounters.

I"m not sure where I am on the National Anthem; I miss the traditional music that used to be played at the opening of Radio 4 each morning. I certainly agree on news coverage. It Ain't Half Hot Mum? I don't see why it should be banned. But you could add a whole raft of other shows which were funny which don't get aired any more. Dick Emery's stuff, for instance. Or Kenny Everett. I don't need any more Mrs Brown's Boys.

As for Radio 2... I've given up Zoe Ball is unlistenable. Sara Cox is little better. Neither is a patch on Terry Wogan, god bless him, or Simon Mayo. I agree wholeheartedly that talent should be the main driving criterion, and by a country mile, however the BBC doesn't think so.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting story though, Americans 'returning' to Africa.
I know of a few that 'returned' from the states, never having been anywhere near the Armpit. It was hilarious. One of them was on the run from the FBI for 419 scamming, telling everyone who would listen. Unfortunately for him, I drank with the US popo at the consulate and his stay was short.
What it does and should tell us, is that they believe that the US is not their home....maybe the idea will catch on.
How are they returning? Are they 300 years old?

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
And that's a fair viewpoint. I'd certainly agree that Laura K was very keen to talk up just how well SKS did against BoJo during their initial encounters.

I"m not sure where I am on the National Anthem; I miss the traditional music that used to be played at the opening of Radio 4 each morning. I certainly agree on news coverage. It Ain't Half Hot Mum? I don't see why it should be banned. But you could add a whole raft of other shows which were funny which don't get aired any more. Dick Emery's stuff, for instance. Or Kenny Everett. I don't need any more Mrs Brown's Boys.

As for Radio 2... I've given up Zoe Ball is unlistenable. Sara Cox is little better. Neither is a patch on Terry Wogan, god bless him, or Simon Mayo. I agree wholeheartedly that talent should be the main driving criterion, and by a country mile, however the BBC doesn't think so.
And neither of them is as bad as Steve Wright or Jeremy Vine.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Vine's show used to be very even handed but it now toes the party line.
It is noticeable to me that he seemed uncomfortable being even-handed. Ever since he became noticeably partisan, he seems so much more smug and happy.

Auld yin said it. The BBC long ago joined the media pack and only cares about scalps.. Compare the BBC coverage of Blair and Brown ?

Compare how Ian Duncan Smith, Corbyn and Brown were treated, because presumably they're did not go down well on the only scale that matter to journalists i.e. likeability. If you wanted to really dig into this, the famous kennedy court and a media almost completely dedicated to loving him when alive and protecting his tawdry behaviour for years afterwards.

p.s.
look at the BBC coverage of the US election and hardly a word said about biden, but every trump gaffe promoted as a newsworthy headline.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
And neither of them is as bad as Steve Wright or Jeremy Vine.
The disagree is not for Jezza Vine (the hyperventilating bellend he is) but Steve Wright who is mildly irritating but innocuous, whilst Sara bleeding Cox is a gurning unprofessional northerner who things "putting on a funny voice" and talking about her domestic arrangements is the height of witty repartee.

...and breathe.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, aye.

Steve Wright is 30 years past his sell-by date.
At least. I also hate his habit of talking over the track he is playing, I'm not a fan of his music selection and his mob of hangers-on are just plain irritating.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
The disagree is not for Jezza Vine (the hyperventilating bellend he is) but Steve Wright who is mildly irritating but innocuous, whilst Sara bleeding Cox is a gurning unprofessional northerner who things "putting on a funny voice" and talking about her domestic arrangements is the height of witty repartee.

...and breathe.
I'd worked that one out as you hadn't touched my follow-up on Vine. Each to there own on opinions... Radio 2 has become very difficult to listen to with the key day time DJs.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
At least. I also hate his habit of talking over the track he is playing, I'm not a fan of his music selection and his mob of hangers-on are just plain irritating.
That just shows his vintage. It was a habit of DJs back in the days before the internet, YouTube and so on. It was to stop people recording stuff off the radio and so not buying tracks.

That he's still doing it when it's so unnecessary shows how stale he is.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sara bleeding Cox is a gurning unprofessional northerner who things "putting on a funny voice" and talking about her domestic arrangements is the height of witty repartee.
Zoe Ball, at the other end of the day, is no better.

SWMBO is usually a sane, rational sort. Nevertheless, she preserves a special hatred for Ball's use of the word 'tellybox' instead of 'television'. It's all just so bloody twee and patronising.

Latest Threads