Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

The first doctor although an alien adopted the human form of a man and had a grand daughter which would suggest that even aliens conform to the female / male species.
Adopted grand daughter, if I remember correctly.

Wow. Excellent.
I noted too, in contrast to the lovely Fiona or Dimblebot, no constant interruptions from the host when the discussions sway from the hard left line.
That episode may be an anomaly. Typically the host interrupts conservatives but not those to the left. Again, typically, there is only one conservative (or vaguely conservative) per panel. It was dire under that host and it has got worse under the new host.

I am rapidly (have) reached the state that after reading your posts I feel more confused and less knowledgeable! :rolleyes:

I realise you are responding to the clip, but this is not your first post leaving me as Confused-of- Arrse.
Translation:-
Fiction - as in the TV/Movies, have all become so politicised that the storylines/characterisations are left as afterthoughts and why its all so crap.

Note: The Critical Drinker - is a Scottish youtube TV/Movie/Games Critic who gives amusing reviews.

Last edited:
How strange.

Much shroud waving about new variant being more deadly. Strangely only passing mention of the truly impressive 409000 first doses given yesterday. How can this be?

I think the BBC and others are due a second dose of Rumsfeld

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones (sic).​

I was listening to More or Less earlier on BBC R4 and they were analysing why the UK had the largest reported drop in GDP due to covid (20%) compared with e.g Germany, France, Holland etc

Eminent statistical professor is interviewed and points that our stats are better because we remove from the GDP any value added by teaching and non covid medical procedures etc, which were suspended during lockdown, whereas our continental cousins reckoned that if teachers were being paid during lockdown then their GDP contributions should be included. When he treated other European countries to the same standard of statistical reporting as us, hey ho we all roughly had the same drop in GDP.

He went on to say that he ignores any reports that compare the UK to other countries, eg excess mortality, infections per million pop, deaths per 100000 pop, etc. as without comparable data and reporting standards, it's all pretty meaningless.

Do we hear such common sense on the TV news? No, I heard later from a reporter that new and improved covid is 30-40% more deadly. Sad faces and portentous tone all round. It was only later when the govt briefing was shown that the absolute mortality risk for a male over 60 had increased from 1.0% to 1.3%

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
I was listening to More or Less earlier on BBC R4 and they were analysing why the UK had the largest reported drop in GDP due to covid (20%) compared with e.g Germany, France, Holland etc

Eminent statistical professor is interviewed and points that our stats are better because we remove from the GDP any value added by teaching and non covid medical procedures etc, which were suspended during lockdown, whereas our continental cousins reckoned that if teachers were being paid during lockdown then their GDP contributions should be included. When he treated other European countries to the same standard of statistical reporting as us, hey ho we all roughly had the same drop in GDP.

He went on to say that he ignores any reports that compare the UK to other countries, eg excess mortality, infections per million pop, deaths per 100000 pop, etc. as without comparable data and reporting standards, it's all pretty meaningless.

Do we hear such common sense on the TV news? No, I heard later from a reporter that new and improved covid is 30-40% more deadly. Sad faces and portentous tone all round. It was only later when the govt briefing was shown that the absolute mortality risk for a male over 60 had increased from 1.0% to 1.3%
Good post. More or Less is a gem in a world of turds.

Translation:-
Fiction - as in the TV/Movies, have all become so politicised that the storylines/characterisations are left as afterthoughts and why its all so crap.

Note: The Critical Drinker - is a Scottish youtube TV/Movie/Games Critic who gives amusing reviews.
The Drinker and Heels are my go to's for film/tv crits.
You missed another good one who has connections to both: Nerdrotic

English councils battling financial ruin​

BBC article about nine out of ten councils going skint and the usyal government grrr...

Here is a snapshot of the financial state of local councils from some of the BBC's local political editors.

What do these five out of the six specifically mentioned councils have in common?
  • Nottingham
  • Manchester
  • Luton
  • Wirral
  • Birmingham
The only council mentioned that doesn’t share the same commonality as the list above is Bath and North East Somerset Council (BANES).

What conclusion might a reasonable thinking person draw?

BBC article about nine out of ten councils going skint and the usyal government grrr...

What do these five out of the six specifically mentioned councils have in common?
  • Nottingham
  • Manchester
  • Luton
  • Wirral
  • Birmingham
The only council mentioned that doesn’t share the same commonality as the list above is Bath and North East Somerset Council (BANES).

Can we start with an easy one?

• Nottingham
  • Manchester
  • Luton
  • Wirral
  • Birmingham

Oddly no mention of Croydon (Lab) which is officially bankrupt and has some hit team in hopefully sorting the books and terminating with extreme predjudice, all the non jobs.

Can't wait to see my next CT bill, would any sane person willingly lob money into a bankrupt organisation-apart from the usual carpet baggers/asset strippers.

• Nottingham
  • Manchester
  • Luton
  • Wirral
  • Birmingham

Well if you stray outside your core competencies of emptying the bins and sweeping the streets your are going to get your fingers burnt

Local politicians, feckin talentless amateurs. Oh when you absolutely have to fill a mass grave.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I think that the drinkers assertion that there is an almost palpable sense of spite emanating from the producers around the plummeting ratings, savage critiques and refusal to change tack also encapsulates the current BBC paradigm.
The more woke and liberal they go, the more they alienate the audience demographic they need to retain.

I’d liken it to a traditional pub, complete with horse brasses, oak timbers and real ale. Staid but popular and with a loyal clientele.
Suddenly it’s bought and owned by someone with a “progressive” vision.
Within days the old fixtures have been ripped out and it now has gaudy decor, loud music and its signature drink is Mongolian Koumiss . The manager (She dislikes patriarchal terms like landlord/lady) bars any locals who disagree with the changes and yet wonders why the pub is increasingly empty. The young hip clientele she’s hoping to attract can see through the naffness and don’t really do pubs anyway.
The manager knows they’ve utterly misread the situation, but encouraged by a small cabal of cronies, obdurately refuses to accept the reality and undo the changes or even make some concessions. The pub eventually closes. It’s sold, demolished and the site becomes a housing development. So goeth the BBC?
To be unfair, that reminds me of 1980.

My new radio showed up today. FM/DAB/DAB+ and internet. It means I'm not stuck with the BBC, the increasingly woke Times Radio and Croaky Voice Man* on TalkSport.

*Steven Hartley who does the idents and was also in The Bill.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well if you stray outside your core competencies of emptying the bins and sweeping the streets your are going to get your fingers burnt

Local politicians, feckin talentless amateurs. Oh when you absolutely have to fill a mass grave.
230 redundancies, no wonder it didn't make any money!

Oddly no mention of Croydon (Lab) which is officially bankrupt and has some hit team in hopefully sorting the books and terminating with extreme predjudice, all the non jobs.

Can't wait to see my next CT bill, would any sane person willingly lob money into a bankrupt organisation-apart from the usual carpet baggers/asset strippers.

And what news of Northampton ?

Latest Threads