Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Daz

LE
Anyone know why Two Wongs dont make a flight has disappeared from the BBC2 scheduled broadcast tonight at 9.00? It vanished about an hour ago and seems to have been replaced with some shite or other
No, and I care less seeing as I don't have a TV

A BBC Covid story on the 6 p.m. news actually included a brief hospital interview with a Dr Wong. I didn't make a "Two Wights" comment at the time because I was just within smiting distance of of Mrs Wightsparker.............

And Dr Wong was talking sense anyway!

Awol

LE
Never understood the issue, Driving license, passport, bank card, loyalty cards...every bit of info from your date and place of birth to your inside leg size is known by other people and yet people baulk at carrying one item that can prove who you are should you kark it alone, prove beyond doubt if you should be here or not, and without it you can't access tax funded stuff such as the NHS, benefits etc etc
Paradoxically, when I first joined Arrse (when dinosaurs hadn’t yet been invented) I was firmly in favour of ID cards. It was the subsequent eloquent discussion of the pros and cons here that made me change my mind, mostly on civil liberties grounds.

It’s genuinely the only time that I can ever remember changing my mind over a serious issue (planning to murder my ex-wife doesn’t count).

I had an NHS number allocated at birth. Didn't everybody?

It was updated in the 1990s, presumably because they ran out of numbers.

I have never been asked for the number in order to access services.
I hadn't a clue what mine was until about 10 years ago when I found it in some documents & made a note of it.

I've registered 3 times with NHS surgeries and dentists and twice they were surprised that I knew it. I got the impression that most people don't know it but isn't difficult for the NHS to find out from your other details.

Bearing in mind that was me actually registering at specific establiahments and I've never been asked for it at any other time. It's not the same as rocking up to A&E for example as, as its never been asked for there.

So as you say, not being able to produce one isn't a bar to treatment.

NSP

LE
The guys a w@nker, I generally find on his film 'reviews' if he likes it, it's shit, if he hates it, I'll love it.
That's me, too!!

I have to admit, though, that when he's on with Mayo they have a chemistry that makes their review slot quite entertaining - even though he's talking up a movie I know will send me to sleep and slating one that will keep my eyes on screen. He does know his subject, I'll grant - he's got a PhD in cinema. His wife is a professor at Exeter University (forty minutes down the M5 from me) and lectures in film. His rapidly-learned harmonica playing to do the theme to Midnight Cowboy at some movie-based event the Mayo programme was involved with was good, too.

This may shed some light; his politicking may have been hyped and actually be behind him (progressing in the real world does that to a fair few lefties - Bolshies in the common room, Tory voters when they start working - and paying taxes):-

"Kermode describes himself in this period [the mid-'80s] as "a red-flag waving bolshie bore with a subscription to Fight Racism Fight Imperialism and no sense of humour.""

Last edited:

Awol

LE
I hadn't a clue what mine was until about 10 years ago when I found it in some documents & made a note of it.

I've registered 3 times with NHS surgeries and dentists and twice they were surprised that I knew it. I got the impression that most people don't know it but isn't difficult for the NHS to find out from your other details.

Bearing in mind that was me actually registering at specific establiahments and I've never been asked for it at any other time. It's not the same as rocking up to A&E for example as, as its never been asked for there.

So as you say, not being able to produce one isn't a bar to treatment.
Too true. Pol Pot could have rocked up outside Great Ormand St hospital and he would have been given first class treatment even if he just thought that he might have earache. In fact, if anyone, from wherever around the globe (and probably Mars as well) had appeared needing treatment they would no doubt have received it. The only possible downer for them would have been getting a (fücking) monumental bill. Luckily there are lots of litter bins outside GOSH, and the NHS aren’t told to root through them for evidence.

If the whole goddamn world is guaranteed emergency medical treatment on the NHS, what the hell is the point of NHS numbers?

Last edited:
Makes a change from the polio vaccine down in Darkest Africa. Yon's haram, innit, blud?

Used to fly coolers around the southern christian/animist south of Sudan, full of polio vaccines. Don't think we did much distribution around the bigger muzzie towns. They might have had theirs brought in on the bigger aircraft in larger quantities, as they had better facilities in larger settlements, so not an accurate reflection.

This illustrates to me the problem.

Again, we're back to the question of bias. The line about 'holding the government to account' is increasingly tired.

What this illustrates is an extreme reluctance to credit this government with any good.

First of all, the BBC had to use Israel as an example of how 'badly' we're doing because, ultimately, some countries in the EU are doing shockingly badly. And we haven't mentioned the Germans looking to circumvent the 'we're all in this together' buy and procure for itself through the back door.

Unity, eh? Solidarity? Competence?

Meh.
I have emailed the BBC to ask if they will now use Israel as a 'yard stick' for any other random measure the BBC wish to choose.

Perhaps road deaths per annum, free school meals, Police brutality, cheese production, anything you want etc.

I love Israel, but I don't love the BBC.

Is this part of the all new teletubbies?

Capture.PNG

How RuPaul's Drag Race UK faced Covid challenge

Oh look, you can get the full set.

Capture.PNG  2.PNG

Bardeyai

Old-Salt

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear!
I hope Mr Cold Collation will be along shortly to guide us through the selection of colours and fabrics. At my age it’s difficult to avoid giving offence and he has considerable expertise in soft furnishings and turmeric tea.
Laura Ashley was never like this.
Thank God you asserted my gender correctly.

To business...

What a dreary lot.

Latest Threads