Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

And in other news, bears shit in the woods and bear shit does not stick to rabbit fur.

@bigeye
My (current) drip is that the BBC seem to, more and more, talk of distances in kilometres (even when nautical miles should be being used). I accept there is a minority of people who can quote what a nautical mile is but all of us are brought up with the statute mile.

Is this some form of Brexit snub, or just some form of ignorance on the part of the programme makers?

@bigeye
My (current) drip is that the BBC seem to, more and more, talk of distances in kilometres (even when nautical miles should be being used). I accept there is a minority of people who can quote what a nautical mile is but all of us are brought up with the statute mile.

Is this some form of Brexit snub, or just some form of ignorance on the part of the programme makers?
Well, I used to work in Nautical Miles as it happens, working with ex-RN Navigation officers. We always referred to steaming days rather than distance as it was easier to brief and to avoid confusion. Most of the vessels we were monitoring were averaging around 13knots: so approx 315 NM AGW WP, IIRC.

Unfortunately this was in my previous life. I've no idea about the BBC's policy regarding distance units.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Never a truer word was writ.

I would that suggest that the real reason for the aggressive nature of the interviews conducted by many of the characters mentioned here is that the nearer you get to seat of power the more it's apparent that those that wield it are ALL a cloud of self serving, desperate c*nts.
Fine but then hang them on their own words rather than just shout at them.

That doesn't happen if you don't let the buggers get a word in edgeways.

A caption not seen during BLM protests (here used in BBC report on anti-lockdown demo):

1606584967367.png

Another light hearted snapshot of the News.

1. British Airways tweeted ‘Good luck England‘ (England v Wales) and subsequently apologised and took the tweet down.

As it was British Airways, for those of us have no idea what British Airways is they helpfully provided a very useful picture... of the retired 747 fleet
1606604371793.jpeg

2. A jogger discovers a new variety of apple whilst out jogging. What do we get to help our understanding of joggers and/or apples?

1606604493684.jpeg

I sort of recognise the apple as an apple but...

(and of course, there is no reason why a jogger can’t look like an apple clutching, tree dwelling anti motorway campaigner)

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a fair point. My Thursday nights generally used to be late thanks to watching QT then The Week, neither of which I would dream of missing. With the cancellation of one and the continual ramping up of bias and dumbing down of the other, I tend to get to sleep earlier on a Thursday nowadays. The only thing I tend to watch by choice on BBC is the news (and recently we've been casting around for an alternative), "The Repair Shop", and whatever SWMBO tells me I'm watching (not much). I haven't actually watched a full episode of QT for at least 6 months.

Ten years ago I used to watch BBC TV as a first choice for any political coverage, for entertainment, information and comedy programmes. Over the last two years that has mostly stopped, and at the very least reduced markedly; my tastes haven't changed massively, but the output of the BBC has. I can't watch any of our national broadcaster's output without noticing I'm being preached at, I no longer have the same level of trust in the news provided, and coverage of politics is so biased toward a metropolitan liberal standpoint it is beyond parody.

I now rely on printed news (and ARRSE of course) and do not watch television news any more.
I did try complaining a few times, both to the BBC and ITV but was merely told each time how only their ideas were really right and it was indicated that there was no need for complaints.

Police storm church broadcast in Milton Keynes over 'loud music'

Police storm church broadcast in Milton Keynes over 'loud music'

Police stormed into a church broadcast

It must have been rather terrifying for those in the church as:

two police officers arrived at the building on November 20
and
claimed there were too many people supporting the broadcast and demanded they leave.

That must have been some storming of the church. It will be the equivalent of the 'balcony' amongst Thames Valley bobbies. “I was the 432nd man into the church right behind Dixon and Ventress“ sort of thing but never mind, when the pastor protested, seven more flatfoots waltzed up turned up for a bit more storming.

The Chief Constable has apologised for his officers' actions and the BBC must be very proud of its dramatic headline.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Sturgeon being interviewed by Whatserface on R4 Today Programme, she's been interrupted FOUR TIMES, as opposed to the usual constant over-talking reserved for Government ministers. The usual argument is that "the Tories are in power, and should be subjected to a higher level of inquisition" doesn't apply, as the SNP are in power in their own right.

Finishing up on 1 min 30s of Wee Nippy talking about her own family uninterrupted; I can't imagine Raab or Sunak being allowed the same, or people might think of them as human rather than EVIL TORIES.

On a more positive note Nick Robinson appears to have been told his fortune, Robert Jenrick George Eustice was actually allowed to finish one sentence before being interrupted earlier.

Edit: wrong Tory!

Last edited:
"Everyone shall be allotted a potato."
Each one dug up lovingly with your own bare hands.

Remember Comrade, tractors and tools are reserved for Politburo members only.

Latest Threads