Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

At no point have I ever been instructed to emphasise a particular point or shoot in a certain way, or indeed attempt to make a political point.

I doubt the captain of the Titanic ever consulted with the stokers over changing course either.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Full disclosure: after nearly 15 years, through careful manipulation of scripts and images, I've been conducting a campaign to quietly promote The Teddy Bear Alliance party..
Despite my best efforts I feel I'm not making much headway
I didn't know you were a Glasgow Rangers supporter!

Channel 4 coming second ? Strange because I thought they were almost as bad as the BBC when they were reporting on Black Lives Matter and BLM would still be the lead story long after they'd been discredited by Gary McFarlane's kamikaze car crash interview on Talk Radio

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
And again I'd respond, as a consumer, that how you describe the BBC's news set-up is not reflected in its output.

Not aimed at you personally - I take in good faith what you're saying - but the even-handed approach and composition of the news team is not something I can perceive of as a result of what I see.
Public perception is a real problem I agree.

Maybe you didn't notice the bit where I said I attended the editor's meetings where it's decided what context is offered, what line of questioning will be taken, what questions the researchers put forward.

I'm not sure how an editor influences the personal biases or prejudices the presenter/questioner has. However, when producing a news package our scripts (including questions and responses) have to be approved before editing and I have never seen a script altered for political effect.
I take your point, but as @Auld-Yin pointed out that just looks like everyone knows what the editor wants in the first place.

I've survived in my freelance career by using a simple premise that it's an unwritten obligation of mine to understand my boss, anticipate his/her needs and make them look good. Even if I don't necessarily agree with their course of action, and even if they're an absolute arse (I which case I've usually got an exit plan ready for the day when I can't take it any longer)

So in effect what your saying is that at the editorial meeting for Tuesday someone sat down and said "Right boss, this private covid testing, we're going to highlight that the untermensch cant afford it, we'll big up the price and won't mention the wider benefits to the economy". "Spot on Tarquin. Right, next item; what's the angle on....."

Channel 4 coming second ? Strange because I thought they were almost as bad as the BBC when they were reporting on Black Lives Matter and BLM would still be the lead story long after they'd been discredited by Gary McFarlane's kamikaze car crash interview on Talk Radio
Ch4 in second place is surprising. Having said that, they do have the decency to be open about their left wing bias.

Nick Robinson went tonto on Rishi Sunak this morning on the Today programme, by far the most aggressive and abrasive interview I've ever heard croaky Nick deliver. It wasn't really an interview, as Sunak wasn't allowed to answer anything without being talked over or interrupted, it was closer to an attack. Robinson spent at least five minutes carping on about a fictional Teaching Assistant who he accused Sunak of effectively reducing the wages of in real terms, coming back again and again until he finally conceded (to himself) he wasn't going to get the Gotcha soundbite he so desperately sought. Then he was off sermonising on overseas aid and Defence spending, Gawd help us.

Sunak did okay, but it sounded to me like he was taken aback by the ferocity of the attack from Robinson.

As per usual, nothing was learnt from the interview, apart from the fact that Nick Robinson is very, very cross with the Tory Government, who he thinks are all very nasty.

Funnily enough, I listened to Today from 0745 to 0900 this morning, and didn't hear mention of Cat Lady Cadwalladr's inelegant climb-down over her allegations of Russian money funding Brexit (Guido link below):

I wonder why?

Robinson is an ********.
(I know somebody who was at the same school).

The BBC is a hoofing enormous conglomerate made up of individuals from all walks of life. My experience is limited to it's current affairs and news gathering operations. I have no idea how the luuvies in Manchester operate but I do know that BBC News is as likely to attract journalists from the Spectator as it is the Tribune.
I've worked with correspondents from both ends of the political spectrum and many centre based. The one thing they have in common is that they are professional and will do their upmost to maintain balance.

Whilst I was at BBC Millbank I attended numerous cross-desk editorial meetings involving all the political senior producers and journalists, I've sat in on many senior 'closed door' political editors meetings and I've shot and edited countless BBC political 'packages' and shot innumerable interviews with everyone from the Prime Minister of the day down...

At no point have I ever been instructed to emphasise a particular point or shoot in a certain way, or indeed attempt to make a political point.

If there is an agenda, such as Aljazeera's blatant pro Muslim Brotherhood stance or the Daily Mail's backing of the Tories, I'd be very interested to hear how it's implemented .
We established that AlJaz, or you could say FOX/CNN, from top-to-bottom, are politically biased.
We established that the BBC is rather unique in the world, because its bias is not directed, or organised.
We established that the BBC bias is a species of a collective confirmation bias, which also exists in the wider world of media/entertainment types, by default.

So what we've got now, is essentially a broadcaster that is ran to produce left leaning middle of the road stuff, with occassional gritty hard left leaning content.

Summary:-
The BBC to survive must diversify opinion and we know that. But the BBC, seems to have taken the decision that it only applies to youth culture and BAME opinion of a specific variety (left leaning). I'm sure plenty of younger conservative voices exist, or the myriad of cancelled people of the right could give the broadcaster more of a reflection of how the nation feels and thinks.