Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a fair point. My Thursday nights generally used to be late thanks to watching QT then The Week, neither of which I would dream of missing. With the cancellation of one and the continual ramping up of bias and dumbing down of the other, I tend to get to sleep earlier on a Thursday nowadays. The only thing I tend to watch by choice on BBC is the news (and recently we've been casting around for an alternative), "The Repair Shop", and whatever SWMBO tells me I'm watching (not much). I haven't actually watched a full episode of QT for at least 6 months.

Ten years ago I used to watch BBC TV as a first choice for any political coverage, for entertainment, information and comedy programmes. Over the last two years that has mostly stopped, and at the very least reduced markedly; my tastes haven't changed massively, but the output of the BBC has. I can't watch any of our national broadcaster's output without noticing I'm being preached at, I no longer have the same level of trust in the news provided, and coverage of politics is so biased toward a metropolitan liberal standpoint it is beyond parody.
My Bold ... agreed …. I honestly believe the BBC has lost the plot and thus viewers / listeners ,,, it is more politically engaged … has lost contact with ordinary folks’ preferences and tried to dictate them with programmes consistent with their hidden agenda … has become a self justifying and mutually gratifying organisation … in the competitive world it would cease to exist .
Which goes back to my post of the BBC making programmes for an ever dwindling audience that reflects the BBC's liberal bias...it is in effect becoming a self feeding machine of more and more metro-liberal programming because that is its audience, and that audience now congratulates the BBC on how well it is doing so the BBC makes more of the same content, meanwhile the rest of its one time audience is now subscription TV based.
I can sum this up:

The BBC, in being determined to be what it sees as relevant, is making itself irrelevant.

I actually said 'Wow' when I read that. That is a stunning fall from grace.

Rather, it reflects how the BBC is failing to reflect the mood of the nation.

Increasingly, I think its misguided mantra of 'Holding the government to account' is also a case of holding the population to account - you know, that hidebound XRW, homophobic, racist population.

The BBC's new boss-man has one hell of a job to do to turn this steaming turd around.
QT Description:-
Question Time. Topical debate in which guests from the worlds of politics and the media answer questions posed by members of the public.

The key words are: 'Topical', 'Politics' and 'Media'..... Generally, its all mainstream voices and the occassional off-narrative person, is a treat and a treat that has been in decline for years. But those who have appeared in recent times, show the unhappiness widespread in the country. Far better than hundreds of the safe variety of the show.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Question Time. Topical debate in which guests from the worlds of politics and the media answer questions posed by members of the public.

The key words are: 'Topical', 'Politics' and 'Media'..... Generally, its all mainstream voices and the occassional off-narrative person, is a treat and a treat that has been in decline for years. But those who have appeared in recent times, show the unhappiness widespread in the country. Far better than hundreds of the safe variety of the show.
Daily Politics Show under the stewardship of Jo Cockburn is going in exactly the same direction!

Nothing wrong whatsoever with 'Topical', 'Politics' and 'Media' per se.

What is wrong is the national taxpayer funded broadcaster loading those three things along with its carefully selected question raising audience and biased host to suit its own left leaning and woke agenda.

There are apparently films on BBC in a series called "small axe" or something like that

It appears to have a lot of very good actors , and is created and produced by a very good director,

but as the Beeb have been forcing the program down my throat through continually advertising it, I have decided that I will never give it viewing time

Why?? because , I am an over privileged white aged racist bastard apparently

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Nothing wrong whatsoever with 'Topical', 'Politics' and 'Media' per se.

What is wrong is the national taxpayer funded broadcaster loading those three things along with its carefully selected question raising audience and biased host to suit its own left leaning and woke agenda.
Quite. If, for instance, there is a real danger of an XRW backlash to (insert issue of the day, or choose from XR, BLM, or Muslims getting a bit shabby), then get some of extreme Right on and expose their viewpoints. Engage them in debate and show them for the bigots or extremists that they are.

The solution, instead, seems to get the same old 'liberal' types on to warn us how if we don't adhere to The One True Way we will become a Nazi republic.

There's a delicious irony to that.

(It could also be that the XRW backlash is something of a fallacy, mind.)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There are apparently films on BBC in a series called "small axe" or something like that

It appears to have a lot of very good actors , and is created and produced by a very good director,

but as the Beeb have been forcing the program down my throat through continually advertising it, I have decided that I will never give it viewing time

Why?? because , I am an over privileged white aged racist bastard apparently
Same.

And yet Trojan Records and the Small Axe sessions feature prominently in my record collection.

ETA: Another irony... I wonder how many young black people in this country know the significance of the title.

Last edited:
Nice to see the Articles opened up to 'Have Your Say’ are back on tried and tested super safe ground today after yesterday’s, 'The BBC is Shit' tsnami.

1606310334413.png

1606310391505.png

Another little Kuennsberg gem on the Chancellor’s Spending Review due later today...

Now, colour me cynical if you will but 'Senior MP'? If said senior MP was a Conservative MP then she’d have gleefully told us:

"It's going to look horrible." The simple truth about the Spending Review according to a senior Conservative MP.

So we can reasonably assume it is an opposition MP and given that, we’d be taken aback somewhat if the senior MP said anything different to that.

Sneery Laura also manages to shoehorn in:

Again, if she is referring to a former Conservative Treasury minister, I am quite certain she’d have mentioned it (probably in emboldened block caps).

If the BBC had deliberately set out to engender mistrust and cynicism amongst it‘s audience, it really couldn’t have done a better job.
I'm pretty sure Global News said it was Liam Fox.

Daily Politics Show under the stewardship of Jo Cockburn is going in exactly the same direction!
The westminster bubble is all they're know and on pretty much every topical subject, the narrative is written and debate is all about messaging, that which bothers the media most and concerns us, hardly at all.. What we would prefer, is the media getting to the bottom of the truth.

Covid whatever me, you, or others think. I want to see a myriad of voices and the determination to have one narrative(control) and the amount of throttle to be applied to the public, is not a debate at all.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The westminster bubble is all they're know and on pretty much every topical subject, the narrative is written and debate is all about messaging, that which bothers the media most and concerns us, hardly at all.. What we would prefer, is the media getting to the bottom of the truth.

Covid whatever me, you, or others think. I want to see a myriad of voices and the determination to have one narrative(control) and the amount of throttle to be applied to the public, is not a debate at all.
I understand fully the reasons for and the power of debate, but do you feel that opposition purely for opposition sake actually advances any debate?

Is the kick back at anything proposed by Johnston or one of his senior team really debate? What happens when the Opposition actually agree with the government? In this case it appears Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition seem to think opposing Boris Johnson us way more important than opposing covid.

ETA for fat fingers!

Last edited:
I understand fully the reasons for and the power of debate, but do you feel that opposition purely for opposition sake actually advances any debate?

Is the kick back at anything proposed by Johnston or one of his senior team really debate? What happens when the Opposition actually agree with the government? In this case it appears Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition seem to think opposing Boris Johnson us way more important than opposing vivid.
The opposition agrees with the other side on pretty much everything(foreign aid) and both sides of the debate, are at odds with the Government, as always wanting more cash. So the entire debate now on the box and on the political shows, are regimented and empty of any content.

What is missing from the debate, is the alternative voices who don't just argue about the topical narrative, but whether the narrative itself is justifiable and why our representatives are so unaware that outside of the Ivory towers of westminster, people are unhappy (I can think of Laurence Fox on QT. It coming as a shock that people outside a bubble, had alternative views).

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The opposition agrees with the other side on pretty much everything(foreign aid) and both sides of the debate, are at odds with the Government, as always wanting more cash. So the entire debate now on the box and on the political shows, are regimented and empty of any content.
Do you want to have another go with some words in a different order?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you want to have another go with some words in a different order?
I think what he is saying that debates in the HofC should be opened up to the whole country so they can have their voice heard. Now they have internet meeting electrickery set up that should be really easy! :)

I think what he is saying that debates in the HofC should be opened up to the whole country so they can have their voice heard. Now they have internet meeting electrickery set up that should be really easy! :)
Alternatively, we could have our elected representatives work on our behalf without acting like children...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The trouble is, all of Parliament's bandwidth would then be taken up with even more worthless prose than it is already. Can you imagine the excremental verbiage that @Emcon Ecomcon , @Higgs_bosun and @Graculus would pile up between them if they were allowed to directly contact Parliament? It's bad enough on Arrse, FFS.

Latest Threads