Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

1602779132807.png

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Ellie has just extended her career by a few weeks...

It never fails to surprise me how incredibly stupid and nasty some people like Ellie Harrison are together with the BBC team behind her.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile - What is it with our broadcasters and failed Labour politicians ?

Andy Burnham's opportunism over the Manchester lockdown makes Labour look ridiculous

Andy Burnham is the Labour mayor of Manchester currently preening in the media spotlight.
I met him in House of Commons as part of of a ginger group visit there a few years ago.

So far, I have yet to hear anyone commenting on his latest foray into the limelight use the words :

' Andy Burnham, the former Labour MP and Health Minister under Gordon Brown '

SOURCE

He was a member of the Health Select Committee from 2001 until 2003, then serving as Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to Home Secretary David Blunkett until 2004, when he became PPS to Education Secretary Ruth Kelly. He was promoted to serve in the Government after the 2005 election as a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State in the Home Office.

In 2006, Burnham was moved to become a Minister of State at the Department of Health. When Gordon Brown became Prime Minister in 2007, Burnham was promoted to Chief Secretary to the Treasury, a position he held until 2008, when he became Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

In 2009, he was promoted again to become Secretary of State for Health. In that role, he opposed further privatisation of National Health Service services and launched an independent inquiry into the Stafford Hospital scandal.

After the Labour Party's defeat in the 2010 general election, Burnham was a candidate in the 2010 Labour leadership election, coming fourth out of five candidates. The contest was won by Ed Miliband. Burnham served as Shadow Secretary of State for Health until late 2010, when he was moved by Miliband to become Shadow Secretary of State for Education. He held that role for a year, then returning to the role of Shadow Health Secretary.

After the 2015 general election, in which Labour lost to the Conservative Party, Miliband resigned as leader. Burnham launched his campaign to succeed Miliband in the resulting September 2015 leadership election. He finished a distant second behind Jeremy Corbyn.[2] Following the defeat, he accepted a role in Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Home Secretary. In May 2016 Burnham announced his candidacy to become Labour's candidate for the Greater Manchester Mayoralty and was selected in August 2016.[3] He resigned as Shadow Home Secretary in October 2016 and was replaced by Diane Abbott. The mayoral election was held in May 2017 and the announcement of the June 2017 general election during the Mayoral campaign led him to stand down as an MP.
[4]

To hear the media tell it , he's just a rough-hewn Blairite local Councillor standing up for Northern folk against the smarmy politicos from Westminster......

Er....actually he's a failed former slimy politico at the highest level.

Mayoral office has been a stepping stone to higher office for many politicians previously:
qv:

Boris Yelstsin - Mayor of Moscow
Neville Chamberlain - Lord Mayor of Birmingham
Jacques Chirac - Mayor of Paris
Vladimir Putin - Deputy Mayor of St Petersburg

Burnham is simply following a tried and trusted alternative route to power.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mayoral office has been a stepping stone to higher office for many politicians previously:
qv:

Boris Yelstsin - Mayor of Moscow
Neville Chamberlain - Lord Mayor of Birmingham
Jacques Chirac - Mayor of Paris
Vladimir Putin - Deputy Mayor of St Petersburg

Burnham is simply following a tried and trusted alternative route to power.
Not to mention a certain Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson......

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Let's hope it is not so for his successor who has had to be bailed out by Boris!

He was the ****** that put the final nail in the BBC coffin for me. I tried I really did, but he's an ocean going ****.
He had ‘his great mate’ Romesh Ranganathan on his show the other day, promoting his new book (what a surprise). Another box ticking member of the Woke community who the BBC can’t seem to get enough of.
It was unlistenable, sycophantic best mates type drivel, on one of our National Broadcasters so-called Prime Radio Stations.
Five Live is chock full of this rubbish across its schedules and it’s a real shame, as not so long ago, it was my ‘go to’ station of choice. The Beeb really is making a mess of things, in a desperate quest to capture the youth demographic - well you can keep it Auntie!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It did occur to me the other day that Auntie is like a helmsman 'chasing the compass'

Their largest USER audience demographic is 30+ - they spend enormous energy chasing the 18-25 group.

Thus successfully alienating much of their existing core listener group.....

Dear Beeb,

Take a look at Marks & Spencers failed strategy....and LEARN.

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Time for another random Radio 4 listen.
Caught the end of Any Questions which was good due to some Frog whining.

Then an advert for an upcoming programme about Folk Music and.....Migrants.

*click

Time for another random Radio 4 listen.
Caught the end of Any Questions which was good due to some Frog whining.

Then an advert for an upcoming programme about Folk Music and.....Migrants.

*click
I'm listening to Radio 4 more at the moment. I am trying to get back into it and, in fairness, it is a bit better than when it was 100% in Brexit meltdown. However, it remains woke and you have to keep to off button within rapid reach.
The World Service is ok-ish still.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Er...I thought we'd agreed we weren't mentioning Bojo ? :scratch:

- see the brown envelope on your desk ?*

[* Where's mine ? - Please speak. Ed ]

Latest Threads