Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuine question. I used to drive from the north to Hammersmith on some Sundays and never got charged. Has Citizen Khan bought it in on weekends as well now?
Yep. With the ULEZ charge it's £30 a day.

Edit: beaten to it by everyone...

Here's a classic example of the classic woke-ishness of the Beeb, all very harmless but so indicative of the mindset.

Now to be clear Tinkerbell is not real, she never existed, she's an imaginary character so if Disney wants to portray her as an African-American, who gives a shite? Secondly the lass is entitled to her political opinions, entirely unremarkable opinions for a young woman of her age, class and race.

But it's the breathless reportage of Yara Shaidi being cast as Tinkerbell that just leaves you shaking your head in wonderment. The BBC are reporting it like the Daughters of the American Revolution had just appointed an ethnic Chinese transwoman with disabilities as their new chief. It's Disney, it doesn't get more woke than Disney, they have been casting BAME actresses and actors for the best part of a generation now, that's fine, who cares? But it's about as radical as casting a plump, balding, old, white Englishman, with a stammer to play Winston Churchill.

And then it quotes the BBC's house journal, The Guardian, which is equally gushing about Shahidi's politics, "Even if being vaguely progressive is now the celebrity norm, by Hollywood standards Shahidi is practically a radical". Where does one start unpicking that? "Even if"? Is there any doubt about how Hollywood views politics since the death of Charlton Heston? "Vaguely progressive"? Seriously, is it a grey area, are their still a few white supremacists working on hit TV shows? "Practically a radical"? Her politics are so mainstream she is supported by Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama, if that's radical I'd hate to see what the equivalent of the Shining Path are like in the US.

OK- breathe.

Who is Yara Shahidi, Disney's new Tinkerbell?

Sexton Blake

War Hero
This makes interesting reading, explains why the BBC is frightened of Paul Dacre...

From the same source that you linked I found this interesting too.

1. Yes, slight thread drift; apologies.
2. No I honestly don’t have an issue with Floella.

Truxx

LE
Here's a classic example of the classic woke-ishness of the Beeb, all very harmless but so indicative of the mindset.

Now to be clear Tinkerbell is not real, she never existed, she's an imaginary character so if Disney wants to portray her as an African-American, who gives a shite? Secondly the lass is entitled to her political opinions, entirely unremarkable opinions for a young woman of her age, class and race.

But it's the breathless reportage of Yara Shaidi being cast as Tinkerbell that just leaves you shaking your head in wonderment. The BBC are reporting it like the Daughters of the American Revolution had just appointed an ethnic Chinese transwoman with disabilities as their new chief. It's Disney, it doesn't get more woke than Disney, they have been casting BAME actresses and actors for the best part of a generation now, that's fine, who cares? But it's about as radical as casting a plump, balding, old, white Englishman, with a stammer to play Winston Churchill.

And then it quotes the BBC's house journal, The Guardian, which is equally gushing about Shahidi's politics, "Even if being vaguely progressive is now the celebrity norm, by Hollywood standards Shahidi is practically a radical". Where does one start unpicking that? "Even if"? Is there any doubt about how Hollywood views politics since the death of Charlton Heston? "Vaguely progressive"? Seriously, is it a grey area, are their still a few white supremacists working on hit TV shows? "Practically a radical"? Her politics are so mainstream she is supported by Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama, if that's radical I'd hate to see what the equivalent of the Shining Path are like in the US.

OK- breathe.

I once cast Dick Strawbridge as Tinkerbell in the Staff College pantomime complete with tutu and pipe.

Go figure.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
From the same source that you linked I found this interesting too.

1. Yes, slight thread drift; apologies.
2. No I honestly don’t have an issue with Floella.

Steel pan music reminds her of Trinidad, where she ‘was a person, not a colour‘?

Oh, do shut up. Identity politics forces us to see colour, not the person, and she reads like she’s entirely bought into it.

OK- breathe.

Woke culture ticks every negative religious stereotype from uniform to speech code and itself despises religion, though only shows it clearly in relation to christianity, because only its sense of righteousness can be the correct one and its interesting where organised religion, has adopted woke (anglicans) it gets a far better press.

This story is the equivelent of a parable from jesus and its noticiable nobody really cares if the new show will be any good, because it doesn't matter so long as the boxes are ticked and virtue has been assigned to the creative types.

Steel pan music reminds her of Trinidad, where she ‘was a person, not a colour‘?

Oh, do shut up. Identity politics forces us to see colour, not the person, and she reads like she’s entirely bought into it.
I saw the person not the colour - and immediately thought to myself "I wouldn't shag that - she's a munter & she's got f*cked up hair".

Slime

LE
My advice is, if you have a blender is to start the blender on high speed and drop the iPhone in it, claim on the insurance and get a real phone

Luckily I can get advice from proper tech experts rather than random posters, plus know why I stick with Apple devices. :)

So true. The vast majority of people see other people but are now forced to see colour and make assumptions and decisions on colour!

Slime

LE
So true. The vast majority of people see other people but are now forced to see colour and make assumptions and decisions on colour!

As an observation, since the arrival of BLM and other recent BAME campaigns I‘ve actively started watching tv adverts to see the ‘correct’ BAME content rather than the ad subject :)

The ‘correct’ BAME content is obviously wildly incorrect in regards to the U.K. population, and mostly ignores a lot of BAME groups but keeps BLM happy.

It seems many ad agencies think BAME means that 50% of actors on screen are black, and ignore many other BAME groups, and especially ignore that some BAME groups consist of white people :)

This new trend doesn’t make me angry etc, it’s just amusing to watch an ad and tick off the actors in order seeing they satisfy the BAME quota.

As an easy starter, watch the latest Halifax ad. Not only do they have an equal mix of black and white presenters, but they take it in turns being on screen :)

As an observation, since the arrival of BLM and other recent BAME campaigns I‘ve actively started watching tv adverts to see the ‘correct’ BAME content rather than the ad subject :)

The ‘correct’ BAME content is obviously wildly incorrect in regards to the U.K. population, and mostly ignores a lot of BAME groups but keeps BLM happy.

It seems many ad agencies think BAME means that 50% of actors on screen are black, and ignore many other BAME groups, and especially ignore that some BAME groups consist of white people :)

This new trend doesn’t make me angry etc, it’s just amusing to watch an ad and tick off the actors in order seeing they satisfy the BAME quota.

As an easy starter, watch the latest Halifax ad. Not only do they have an equal mix of black and white presenters, but they take it in turns being on screen :)
Would you really want to buy a house from the fat smug white bint?

If you also add the plethora of visible sexual orientations, you end up with a 3-D bingo card.

that’s unfair, saw a BAME advert last night featuring a lesbian couple, one white and ginger, one black...
Ginger lives matter too.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

You’re one up on me, then. I wish it didn’t make me angry but it does. Not because I’m racist but because it’s a falsehood and its happening means that those with a disharmonious intent are being kowtowed to.

The point is, they won’t stop there. They will press and press every advantage and opportunity. Then, one day, we’ll look around, not recognise the place, and wonder how we got here.

You’re one up on me, then. I wish it didn’t make me angry but it does. Not because I’m racist but because it’s a falsehood and its happening means that those with a disharmonious intent are being kowtowed to.

The point is, they won’t stop there. They will press and press every advantage and opportunity. Then, one day, we’ll look around, not recognise the place, and wonder how we got here.

You mean you haven't already wondered that?

Slime

LE
Would you really want to buy a house from the fat smug white bint?

This might make me a bit thick, but I can’t even picture the faces of any of the actors!
My interest stops at following the colours and order they are shown........Bearing in mind some will shout ‘racist’ if the last person shown was black.

None of this stuff is new really. It was years ago when things like the Milky bar adverts switched from live actors to a cartoon format as lobbyists demanded a black child actor should play the milky bar kid :)

But it's about as radical as casting a plump, balding, old, white Englishman, with a stammer to play Winston Churchill.
In the BBC’s next historical drama, Morgan Freeman plays Churchill, Samuel L Jackson is Hitler and Romesh Ranganathan plays King George VI.

An upcoming young West Highland White Terrier has been cast as Gibson’s Dog (suitably renamed as ‘Chalkie’).