Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

And that is just going to the other extreme. Somewhere in the middle is the best ground.
You are wrong.
We do not need a media arm forcibly funded by the public.
If you think a clear out of the left in the BBC will solve the problem, you are grossly mistaken. Even if partially successful, a few years down the line and we'd have the same problem.
What possible reason, aside from audience manipulation, would you want a broadcasting company that the people are forced to pay for? There is nothing that the BBC produce currently that I benefit from.. Quite the opposite in fact.
If it helps, I don't like the rest of the media either but I'm not forced to fund them, unless I choose to do so.

Last edited:
And that is just going to the other extreme. Somewhere in the middle is the best ground.
This is my message to the BBC

Where is the middle - the licence payer owns everything, they paid for everything. The BBC needs curbed, and put in it's place. They should be subscription based only and all assets sold off or put into state hands. They should rent the buildings and equipment back from the government and any money in their accounts given to the treasury....that's being fair.

Oh, Fletcher, isn't that just a little bit hard on the BBC?

(I suspect you are, however, a bit more of a Mr Mackay than a Mr Barraclough........)

:)
Nope - the lefty BBC deserve everything that's coming to them. They don't give a flying fook about getting people fined/jailed for non-payment of a licence tax. I'll give them the respect that they deserve - none. It can stand on it's own merits and if it's as great as they think it is - it shouldn't be a problem for them to survive. However the money and assets the BBC currently have belong to the people - not the BBC, so they can pay for the privilege of using those assets - just the same as the people that were taxed to pay for it all.

Once we get rid of the left bias in the media - phase 2 of the plan will be to infiltrate the universities and schools and get rid of the lefty's in those and re-educate the children, also scrap the Lords and supreme court.

As for the commie Antifa and BLM - designate those as terrorist organisations and strip their assets and jail the ring leaders.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the launch of the News GB channel with Andrew Neil at the helm. He made his announcement on Twitter stating that he had nothing but fondness for the BBC whilst making it abundantly clear where the blame lay. I believe it goes live in 2021.

It looks like a swing and hit against the BBC, that's one way to save on redundancies

NSP

LE
It looks like a swing and hit against the BBC, that's one way to save on redundancies

Unfortunately she hasn't posted her views on her FB else the General (retd) may well have felt moved to set her straight.

I disagree with your last point. The films and programmes belong to the BBC and are a source of funding for them. In your scenario we could all rock up at a cinema and watch a film as many times as we like but only pay for the first viewing on the principle that your first visit paid the way. Same for rock gigs, can you follow a band and get in free from the second visit onwards?

No, these are part of the BBC's stock and used to make money thus keeping the licence fee down.
iirc there was a court case a while ago concerning BBC copyright. The famous line at the 1966 World Cup “They think it’s all over - it is now” was deemed to be owned by the BBC as it was recorded on their kit.

They can't help themselves. Yesterday, during the UCI Road World Championships on BBC2, they had to shoehorn in the diversity line.

"Thousands of us were out riding our bikes, but is it representative of the world we live in? Some believe the sport needs more diversity."

Cue a 4 minute segment about the lack of black bike riders at the top (which I couldn't be bothered to watch)

1601278860682.png

They can't help themselves. Yesterday, during the UCI Road World Championships on BBC2, they had to shoehorn in the diversity line.

"Thousands of us were out riding our bikes, but is it representative of the world we live in? Some believe the sport needs more diversity."

Cue a 4 minute segment about the lack of black bike riders at the top (which I couldn't be bothered to watch)

View attachment 507886

Did not a certain Norman Tebbit have a phrase (in a different context)that might be apposite here.

View attachment 507886

Last I looked no one in the UK was holding a gun to anyone's head and telling them they're not allowed to cycle. It's a choice people make and the frantic attempts to involve those who are just not interested is more than a little patronising IMO.

Reminds me of a whisky brand in SA who decided to get all fluffy and with it by training a black guy to fly hot air balloons. They approached a mate who was quite happy to do the training and began scouting around for a prospective balloon pilot. I had a student who was fairly sharp so I mentioned him to the instructor mate who asked me to put the idea to him and bring him along for an interview.

First thing he asked me when I mentioned he would get free training and fly the sponsored balloon (something anyone else would have to cough for from their own pocket and provide their own balloon and fuel) was how much he would be paid to do so. I had no idea but took him to meet the instructor and sponsors and sort it out with them. They were happy with him and set up a TV crew, photo shoot and the whole shebang to introduce him. Put him and his family up in a five star resort (rest of us got a B&B down the road) and spent the day throwing a festive launch at which their product flowed like water.

He showed up for two lessons and then decided waking at 4am to work like a Trojan for a 5:30am flight was for the birds and we never saw him there again. He didn't bother completing his PPL either when it got to the exam stages.

You can't force people to do things in which they have no interest.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 507886

Last I looked no one in the UK was holding a gun to anyone's head and telling them they're not allowed to cycle. It's a choice people make and the frantic attempts to involve those who are just not interested is more than a little patronising IMO.

Reminds me of a whisky brand in SA who decided to get all fluffy and with it by training a black guy to fly hot air balloons. They approached a mate who was quite happy to do the training and began scouting around for a prospective balloon pilot. I had a student who was fairly sharp so I mentioned him to the instructor mate who asked me to put the idea to him and bring him along for an interview.

First thing he asked me when I mentioned he would get free training and fly the sponsored balloon was how much he would be paid to do so. I had no idea but took him to meet the instructor and sponsors and sort it out with them. They were happy with him and set up a TV crew, photo shoot and the whole shebang to introduce him. Put him and his family up in a five star resort (rest of us got a B&B down the road) and spent the day throwing a festive launch at which their product flowed like water.

He showed up for two lessons and then decided waking at 4am to work like a Trojan for a 5:30am flight was for the birds and we never saw him there again. He didn't bother completing his PPL either when it got to the exam stages.

You can't force people to do things in which they have no interest.
In a different way it makes me smile at all the “ diversity” bollocks punted by the BBC’s countryfile ( towniefied abortion of a prog on the countryside, for saffas info)
Right in the middle of an enormous conurbation of Leeds Bradford and industrial West Yorkshire they hold once a year ( covid excepted) The Great Yorkshire show.
This is not just agri but country sports mega shopping etc the full 9 yards.
We go every 2 or 3 years, and the mehimsahib comments every time that with the exception of a handful of sleek but intimidating Sikh ladies competing in the flower arranging classes, all competitors are resolutely white and if you see a slack handful of Asians or blacks in a crowd of maybe 40k that will be it.
Just not interested in the countryside all around them.