Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

NSP

LE
The funny thing is they use a very unflattering still of Mike Graham fotr the adverts/news:-D
If you listen online via the their own live stream pop-up the ad breaks are interrupted by region-specific COVID ads. I get the first few seconds of whatever ad and then a cheery voice cuts in giving me, "Here in the south-west I'm wearing a mask to protect my family." Then another voice: "I'm wearing a mask to protect my neighbours." And so on. A few seconds before the break ends it cuts back into "...ery little helps," or whatever slogan the advertiser finishes their ad with.

If I was talkRADIO I'd be spitting tacks at having my advertisers spitting tacks at me for having the ads they've paid to be heard being over-spoken by the government. Or anyone else, really.

I know it's region-specific because if I am online normally it says "south-west." If I spark up the VPN and it thinks I am abroad I don't get the interruption.

Fat Driver

Old-Salt
If you listen online via the their own live stream pop-up the ad breaks are interrupted by region-specific COVID ads. I get the first few seconds of whatever ad and then a cheery voice cuts in giving me, "Here in the south-west I'm wearing a mask to protect my family." Then another voice: "I'm wearing a mask to protect my neighbours." And so on. A few seconds before the break ends it cuts back into "...ery little helps," or whatever slogan the advertiser finishes their ad with.

If I was talkRADIO I'd be spitting tacks at having my advertisers spitting tacks at me for having the ads they've paid to be heard being over-spoken by the government. Or anyone else, really.

I know it's region-specific because if I am online normally it says "south-west." If I spark up the VPN and it thinks I am abroad I don't get the interruption.
RadioGarden all the way for me. I choose some seriously out of the way places for radio listening.

I'd like to see a bit of footage of the police dealing with this covidiots worthy of its own "Friday Night Smackdown" video, really.
BBC didn’t show any ‘clashes’ but just showed close ups of parts of the crowd (no wide shots) and said there was a crowd of thousands who turned up.

BBC didn’t show any ‘clashes’ but just showed close ups of parts of the crowd (no wide shots) and said there was a crowd of thousands who turned up.
I don't watch the BBC anymore - but I wouldn't be surprised if they added 'extreme right wing' to the narrative - maybe even instead of "mostly peaceful" they will even add violent racists as well.....you all know what the MSM is like. I watched the protests on Youtube earlier, noticed the Police were a bit heavy handed compared to how they treated the BLM and Antifa scum. Two tier policing in the UK now, I wonder who's pulling the governments strings? Maybe Soros?

NSP

LE
AH, so about half a dozen all told, then.

pc flaps

Old-Salt
Edited for brevity.

I suspect that if the BBC had to rely on subscriptions, to survive financially, that the PC crowd would discover that woke stuff is fine when somebody else is paying but in the commercial world money talks and BS walks.

I'd give them a year maybe two before 'It ain't half hot mum' was dug out from the vaults and Mr Linneker got a 90% pay cut. (he'd still be overpaid).

I'd do a pee laughing if they were forced by viewer power to repeat that. No doubt with some pious warning before the start about how "this programme contains views that were typical of the time and modern viewers may find offensive"

Subscription is the only way to go as they've shown they're incapable of reform from within.

Cat(s), pigeon; go!

'It was reported last night that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is "unleashing the hounds" at the top of British broadcasting - by offering two of the top jobs in British television to two outspoken critics of the BBC.

'The London Times reported that Paul Dacre, the former editor of the Daily Mail, is Johnson's pick to take up the chairmanship of broadcasting regulator Ofcom. Dacre will want to crack down on alleged bias at the BBC.

'Lord Moore, the former Daily Telegraph editor, who has in the past condemned the criminalisation of those who refuse to pay the BBC licence fee, has been asked by Johnson to take up the post of BBC chairman.

'A source close to Johnson said: "This is part of a process of the prime minister putting Brexit allies in key positions."

'However, the failure to advertise the BBC role has caused an uproar, as the appointment of its chairman is supposed to be an open process.'

Cat(s), pigeon; go!

'It was reported last night that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is "unleashing the hounds" at the top of British broadcasting - by offering two of the top jobs in British television to two outspoken critics of the BBC.

'The London Times reported that Paul Dacre, the former editor of the Daily Mail, is Johnson's pick to take up the chairmanship of broadcasting regulator Ofcom. Dacre will want to crack down on alleged bias at the BBC.

'Lord Moore, the former Daily Telegraph editor, who has in the past condemned the criminalisation of those who refuse to pay the BBC licence fee, has been asked by Johnson to take up the post of BBC chairman.

'A source close to Johnson said: "This is part of a process of the prime minister putting Brexit allies in key positions."

'However, the failure to advertise the BBC role has caused an uproar, as the appointment of its chairman is supposed to be an open process.'

Good, hopefully they will scrap the licence fee as well, and decriminalise it. Also any programs/films already produced by the BBC should be put into an online public archive as the licence payer has already paid for these - so they should belong to the public and NOT the BBC.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good, hopefully they will scrap the licence fee as well, and decriminalise it. Also any programs/films already produced by the BBC should be put into an online public archive as the licence payer has already paid for these - so they should belong to the public and NOT the BBC.
I disagree with your last point. The films and programmes belong to the BBC and are a source of funding for them. In your scenario we could all rock up at a cinema and watch a film as many times as we like but only pay for the first viewing on the principle that your first visit paid the way. Same for rock gigs, can you follow a band and get in free from the second visit onwards?

No, these are part of the BBC's stock and used to make money thus keeping the licence fee down.

However, the failure to advertise the BBC role has caused an uproar, as the appointment of its chairman is supposed to be an open process.'
Unlike the Guardian, the Irish Independent forgot to include this:
Guardian said:
The A government spokesman said the application process for the new chair of the BBC will be underway shortly, adding: “It is an open recruitment process and all public appointments are subject to a robust and fair selection criteria.

Lip service to the recruitment process perhaps but what high level appointment isn’t?

What is the BBC scared of? If it is adhering to the terms of its charter (as it has repeatedly insisted it does*) it should have no fear of Ofcom or its own non executive chairman.

The Guardian said:
Jean Seaton, the BBC’s official historian, said that the appointment of Moore might have been possible to defend on its own. A BBC sceptic and senior journalist might be someone’s preferred candidate. “But it is the idea of the two of them in tandem that would be such a disaster and cannot be defended,” she said.

Why is the BBC's official historian commenting on yet to be made appointments to Ofcom and the non executive BBC chairmanship? Is the historian's view the corporate view of the BBC or just the personal wittering of an employee with no business to be wittering about such things?

*at least up to the point the new DG hinted that perhaps it doesn't

I disagree with your last point. The films and programmes belong to the BBC and are a source of funding for them. In your scenario we could all rock up at a cinema and watch a film as many times as we like but only pay for the first viewing on the principle that your first visit paid the way. Same for rock gigs, can you follow a band and get in free from the second visit onwards?

No, these are part of the BBC's stock and used to make money thus keeping the licence fee down.
Where did the BBC get the money to produce these? From the licence payer - so the licence payer owns these (AKA the British public) as these are the people that paid for them. That's why they should be free and in an online archive accessible for everyone once the BBC go private & subscription based.

Last edited:
Where did the BBC get the money to produce these? From the licence payer - so the licence payer owns these (AKA the British public) as these are the people that paid for them. That's thy they should be free and in an online archive accessible for everyone once the BBC go private & subscription based.

Typical whining snowflake. Demands the BBC funding is changed to suit themself, and then demands they get stuff for free because of that change.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Where did the BBC get the money to produce these? From the licence payer - so the licence payer owns these (AKA the British public) as these are the people that paid for them. That's thy they should be free and in an online archive accessible for everyone once the BBC go private & subscription based.
As I said - I disagree.

Typical whining snowflake. Demands the BBC funding is changed to suit themself, and then demands they get stuff for free because of that change.
It's not for free - the public have already paid for these. Also why should people that don't watch BBC need to subsidise the people that do? Do you subsidise people that watch Netflix?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Cat(s), pigeon; go!

I've just checked the calendar, and it isn't 1st April.

Chuffed to bits, this should be more entertaining than the Beeb's programming.

Saw this and thought of this thread:

1601217174789.png

Saw this and thought of this thread:

View attachment 507746
I'd love to see the end of the BBC.

All the buildings/studios should be sold, all the equipment such as computers, cameras, office equipment - well everything basically should be sold off. The pensions should be capped at the same as current state pensions. All money's in the bank and all moneys from buildings and equipment sold to be split up and divided and refunded to licence payers. Also any film or TV archive to be public domain.
Then anyone that worked for the BBC should seek alternative employment or start their own TV company and go subscription.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'd love to see the end of the BBC.

All the buildings/studios should be sold, all the equipment such as computers, cameras, office equipment - well everything basically should be sold off. The pensions should be capped at the same as current state pensions. All money's in the bank and all moneys from buildings and equipment sold to be put split up and divided and refunded to licence payers. Also any film or TV archive to be public domain.
Then anyone that worked for the BBC should seek alternative employment or start their own TV company and go subscription.
And that is just going to the other extreme. Somewhere in the middle is the best ground.

Latest Threads