Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

BBC Midnight TV News leading on Breona Taylor Grand Jury.

Sure there's nothing happening in the UK anyway.

Mary Hinge

War Hero
BBC Midnight TV News leading on Breona Taylor Grand Jury.

Sure there's nothing happening in the UK anyway.
Radio 4's Today programme led with this story at 7.00am. The 'reporter' omitted from her report that it was Taylor's drug pusher partner who opened fire on the police first.
As usual with BBC news reports, lying by omission.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I expect people on this site to ‘take him on’ and as usual, you have expressed it far more eloquently than I could manage - thank you.
Sadly, there is no one employed by our so-called National Broadcaster willing to take him on. All I heard was sycophancy and ignorant agreement with his POV. That’s the tragedy.
I refer you to the Jordan Peterson interview on C4.

Cathy Newman makes much of her Oxbridge education but she really was shown to be a mediocrity in terms of her grasp of the nuances of language and the subtleties of the social interplays to which Peterson was alluding.

Sycophancy is one thing. One might view it in terms of being on-message. We have a problem with like begetting like in the media (as in many sectors), and wholesale agreement with the 'one true message' is a part of that.

As to ignorance... to carry on using Newman as an example, a degree in English doesn't imply an immediate grasp of history, much less current affairs. It might imply an understanding of the construction of the language (however, see my first paragraph) but that's potentially all, I'd suggest.

If you're bound by your political presumptions - increasingly an issue given the Marxist indoctrination in our universities - you're not going to challenge, for instance, that the Bristol Beacon is a Good Thing. 'Establishment' = bad and that's all you need to know. Oh, and he was white and wealthy, eh? Exploitative capitalist, then.

The real issue here, however, and I'm talking as someone who's produced news in the past, is depth. There's been no real 'So who was Colston?' for background (or, if there has been, it was there and gone in a flash).

The BBC is doing one of two things, neither of which is credible or creditable.

It's either trying so hard to be 'with it' that it's not bothering with getting to the roots of a story because people are 'too busy' and they want facts not detail (and damn whether the 'facts' are correct or not); or, it's not digging into the background (in this case, at least) because it's pushing an agenda and Colston might not after all prove to be the bogeyman that it wants and needs.

Clumsy narratives need simple messages that can be repeated over and over.

Edited to remove the Andrew Neil reference which is now incorrect.

Last edited:

O Zangado

War Hero
"In Discussing "Who's grand Plan," is of course difficult..."

...edit for; spellink, dicktion cos im a kno nothing granmarless prole :razz:

Good points and worthy of the all likes, including mine, however...

[Pedant shield down]
But who's going to correct somebody whose grammar is a bit iffy? You owe it to pedants everywhere and the grammarpolizei in particular to have a quiet word with @Dafty duck?

Also sorry to hear you have lost your granma. All our thoughts and prayers..., etc. :hug:
[/Pedant shield up]

OZ

I'll wager the first bit actually happens

1600940031953.png

Radio 4's Today programme led with this story at 7.00am. The 'reporter' omitted from her report that it was Taylor's drug pusher partner who opened fire on the police first.

Sky news too. Not one iota of info about the boyfriend's trigger time or the shot copper.

You would be forgiven that it was a cold-blooded execution if you didn't read the facts elsewhere

Last edited:
Ironically, the (BAME) Mayor of Bristol used that very argument this morning when condemning large numbers of statues across the country that have been erected due to the actions of a ‘“very small number of white, privileged elite” in past years.
I doubt he would get the irony of his argument if it slapped him between the eyes!
Has anybody told him the native, ethnic population of these Isles are white.
And it was the native, ethnic black population of Africa who did the enslaving, for trade.

Oops

War Hero
They'd included that valuable little snippet on their 8 o'clock report......

I wonder if someone might've had a quiet word in the intervening?

Okay, I'll take him on.

Who does Mr Rees expect statues to have been erected to? The 'ordinary' people, in line with some idealised and never-existed egalitarianism? That's a bit rich [sic] coming from a member of a political party which has probably done the most to stymy social mobility in recent years.

Many of those statues weren't necessarily erected and paid for by the individuals themselves. They were raised to honour the lifetime achievements of said individuals, by communities that were grateful. Note: communities, not just a self-selecting, -perpetuating and -excluding elite.

Yes, no doubt some influence will have been exerted by families and peers but plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose or, if you prefer, 'four legs good, two legs bad'; just because the choices aren't to Mr Rees's personal taste does not make them wrong, then or now. I'd question Labour's elevations of some people to the House of Lords. Some of them aren't fit to be there, and let's wait and see how they're viewed in the fullness of time, eh?

Many of those statues exist to commemorate the philanthropy of the individuals concerned. Colston for one. Rhodes for another. There are numerous others. And note again: philanthropy, not oppression, not exclusion. All those nasty, oppressive hospitals and museums and indentureships and scholarships; what on earth to do about them.

White? Well, yeah. What does he expect in a country which until the post-WWII era was quite un-hideously white?

...for reference, we don't refer to Africa as being hideously black and we don't refer to the Indian Subcontinent as being hideously brown, so why should this country's history and institutions be described as being hideously white? Even today, the country's history is predominantly white, merely by virtue of demographics.

Elite? Well, I suppose that if you've done well you are part of an elite. But noblesse oblige; the idea that those at the top have an obligation to greater society's betterment. It seems to be a largely European concept. One could compare here quite favourably with - oh, pick any number of places in Africa. How much money did Robert Mugabe have in his offshore accounts when he died, while the country disappeared under hyperinflation? How many limousines does the King of Swaziland Eswatini have, while his citizens cope with the highest levels of HIV infection in the world?

What a terrible job we've made of being a country, eh?
I was watching something about Brunel the other night on 5 and when he built the bridge (15 years after slavery ended), the programme still managed to slot in a 10 minute vignette dedicated to slaves and was so artificial that it showed how little history, is now, no longer simply about facts and designed to serve the altar of diversity.

The point is the nation state and the patriotism that is its bedrock, is the real enemy and a population of individuals is a damn sight easier to manipulate.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I was watching something about Brunel the other night on 5 and when he built the bridge (15 years after slavery ended), the programme still managed to slot in a 10 minute vignette dedicated to slaves and was so artificial that it showed how little history is now no longer simply about facts and designed to serve the altar of diversity.

The point is the nation state and the patriotism that is its bedrock, is the real enemy and a population of individuals is a damn sight easier to manipulate.
Brunel who habitually smoked cigars - something that was photoshopped out of a picture of him a few years back because smoking is bad for you.

Likewise with Trumps press conference ref a vaccine for Covid, nearly an hour edited totally out of context to make what he actually said look ridiculous

Sadly, amid all the headlines of Trump evil, Boris Grrr, Brexit bad, there is not a single mention - not one - of this :

Oops

War Hero
Likewise with Trumps press conference ref a vaccine for Covid, nearly an hour edited totally out of context to make what he actually said look ridiculous
If you want an example of Rabid Boris Grrr.... Tune into yesterdays'
World at One interview, nay rant by Chairman of Yo Sushi and Pret or 'charge a tenner for a butty' whatever he is....on BBC sounds.
He really loses the plot,twas hilarious, he must be so proud this morning...
Anyway, fast forward to Evan Davies' Pm prog at 17.00, a carefully edited soundbite or three by the 'Scion of the British Service Industry' blah blah....

I was taught at Skool 'context is everything'.
(That was in a different century, however)
Eta.
To be fair to Sarah Montague (I think)who conducted the interview, she sat back and let him run....
Gold.

bestri10

Clanker
Sky news too. Not one iota of info about the boyfriend's trigger time or the shot copper.

You would be forgiven that it was a cold-blooded execution if you didn't read the facts elsewhere
when i first heard of the incident, judging by the info these new sources were giving out it made it seem as if the officers literally just walked up to her sleeping and shot her.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
If you want an example of Rabid Boris Grrr.... Tune into yesterdays'
World at One interview, nay rant by Chairman of Yo Sushi and Pret or 'charge a tenner for a butty' whatever he is....on BBC sounds.
He really loses the plot,twas hilarious, he must be so proud this morning...
Anyway, fast forward to Evan Davies' Pm prog at 17.00, a carefully edited soundbite or three by the 'Scion of the British Service Industry' blah blah....

I was taught at Skool 'context is everything'.
(That was in a different century, however)
Eta.
To be fair to Sarah Montague (I think)who conducted the interview, she sat back and let him run....
Gold.
Yep listened to that, CEO came across as an idiot who wanted to imagine away the nasty virus so everyone could happy.

It was telling that this chap with so much concern for others, knew that he had made people redundundant in his restaurant business, but had no idea exactly how many.

As you say it was hilarious, and fair do to the Montague woman for giving him enough rope, i guess a word will be had with her about that.

when i first heard of the incident, judging by the info these new sources were giving out it made it seem as if the officers literally just walked up to her sleeping and shot her.

Which was the theme of a R4 Today interview with her families lawyer a month or so ago.

When it was pointed out a cop was shot first, then it became a laughable drivel of bullshit about how he was a honest man protecting his property and loved ones in the face of a hostile physical entry . . . in fear for his life. . . . it's what all men would do . . . did nothing wrong . . .

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Ironically, the (BAME) Mayor of Bristol used that very argument this morning when condemning large numbers of statues across the country that have been erected due to the actions of a ‘“very small number of white, privileged elite” in past years.
I doubt he would get the irony of his argument if it slapped him between the eyes!
Which culturally appropriated language and clothing was he using whilst arguing???

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Where will they get their money? Get a Job?
That I would like to see.

More like thieving, drug dealing and selling the content of their food parcel handouts.

Latest Threads