Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

JUst watched Scottish politics

Gordon Brewer intervirwing interrogating the leader of SC&UP so if England allows chlorinated Chicken in , then Scotland has to allow it in as well?

"England doesn't allow chlorinated chicken from the States in, nor indeed hormone injected beef... " he carries on explaining a bit more , but gets interrupted again by Brewer saying basically we aren't here to talk about chlorinated chicken

at that point the good lady walks past , picks up the TV controller and switches the damn thing off

" I don't want you ranting on about this shit all day ! " says she

so here I am , ranting

I find I'm listening to Hancock's half hour on a loop most days. Never get tired of it.

Excellent choice. They’re all on the iPlayer/Sounds App doofer at the moment.

6D6DC697-2598-490C-BAC5-6EDA29821B13.png
See also the Goons.

768CD218-2F54-4CC9-838A-AB98210C5FE1.png

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Just had the random turning on of Radio 4. It's Desert Island Discs, and funny old thing it's the same Feminist Lesbian Black winner of the Booker Prize that was on the other week on a different show!

It's as if they have an agenda....

Just had the random turning on of Radio 4. It's Desert Island Discs, and funny old thing it's the same Feminist Lesbian Black winner of the Booker Prize that was on the other week on a different show!

I'm just glad if the radio or TV is on then I don't have to deal with that unfunny Scotch bloke Susan Calman.

He was omnipresent at one point.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

I've given up. I never thought I'd say that but I have. I've given up on the news, and I've given up on Radio 4.

I'm bored of being harangued. I don't deserve it and I won't put up with it. I have the right to live my own life quietly, so long as I'm not bothering others. That's what I do, and I can't see how I'm somehow guilty of something by doing that.

sunny james

War Hero
I gave up on
I've given up. I never thought I'd say that but I have. I've given up on the news, and I've given up on Radio 4.

I'm bored of being harangued. I don't deserve it and I won't put up with it. I have the right to live my own life quietly, so long as I'm not bothering others. That's what I do, and I can't see how I'm somehow guilty of something by doing that.
I gave up on Radio 4 a few years ago. I used to listen every morning to the toady show before coming to the same realisation as you. I think it was smarmy Nic Robinson and that bitter Mishal creature that really annoyed me, always looking for that gotcha soundbite quote for the news headline.
It's Talk Radio with Mike Graham for me now.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
LBC's not bad if you avoid James O' Brian & Sheila Fergarty
The only half decent presenters on LBC are Nic Ferrari and Iain Dale. Majid Nawaz is good as he’ll at least put forward a well thought out argument or position. Steve Allen is entertaining as he takes the piss out of everyone but he’s on too early for me to listen to regularly.
I tend to listen to talkRADIO as they will put over a common sense view and will support or hold the government to account depending.

Times Radio's not bad at all. No (real) adverts either.

you‘ll be in the same boat as me then. Someone said when I posted a similar comment ‘you no longer know what they want you to think’. A sobering comment.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
you‘ll be in the same boat as me then. Someone said when I posted a similar comment ‘you no longer know what they want you to think’. A sobering comment.
Courtesy of Donald Rumsfeld

" Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."

Dredd

LE
Very true. I can only think of one episode of that which touched (very briefly) on a political figure, the one where Hancock tries to emigrate using a fake passport in the name of Harold Macmillan. The same with other comedies of that era.
Hancock doesn't get old.

You have obviously forgotten the one where he stood to become an MP.

Although admittedly, there was little actual politics in it . . .

Dredd

LE
Courtesy of Donald Rumsfeld

" Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."

I loved that quote.

It was being pilloried at the time as being nonsense, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence could clearly understand what he was saying. It was verging on the profound.

And so it came as no surprise that the "news" and "comedy" circuit couldn't understand it. The fact they attacked it said much more about them than it ever did about him.

You have obviously forgotten the one where he stood to become an MP.

Although admittedly, there was little actual politics in it . . .
I have, good point. There was also the one about the suffragette movement, and about the rail strike. Apart from those... :)

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Yea, I may give Talk a go, Iburnt through 5 Live a while ago, and that prick O'Brien does my head in.
I find it’s got a really good schedule
06:30-10:00Julia Hartley-Brewer
10:00-13:00 Mike Graham
13:00-16:00 Iain Collins
16:00-19:00Dan Wootton
19:00-22:00 James Whale with Kev and Ash.
It is a bit right wing-ish but to be fair, all presenters will grill their guests, especially political ones, evenly and not necessarily give them an easy ride unlike R2 and R4.
Don’t get me started on James O’Brien though. Utter ********.

It's a programme that has huge potential. It just screams out for balance.

The current scary 'audience' effect is largely one forced on the producers in order to deal with the technical constraints of the pandemic. Hopefully that side of things on this and other programmes can be tweaked to better suit the straitened circumstances as things move on, complaints mount up and experience is gained.

It's the lack of political balance that is something that deserves immediate attention.

I actually quite liked, for example, the late Jeremy Hardy. He could be very funny.... up until the point when he'd almost inevitably go off on one. He was a very talented man, but he made his political sympathies very obvious and there was never any balance or counterpoint. What should have been comedy to be enjoyed by all would very often sound as if it had drifted into some kind of a slightly pithy Red Guards 'struggle session'.

I would find a similar programme panelled and produced almost exclusively by overt Tory sympathisers equally depressing.

There may be changes. I don't know the politics of the newly-installed DG of the BBC, but he certainly seems conscious of the criticisms being levelled at his corporation as he is conscious that the future form of the BBC is currently under review.

To coin the words of someone not a million miles from here, we must 'Wait and see'.
Amazing insight!

Latest Threads