Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

NSP

LE
There's an expensive documentary about slavery being shown on BBC in the next few weeks
Enslaved with Samual L jackson
It'll be interesting if it's just a whitey bashing session, and how the subject of African's enslaving and supplying other African's is approached. I'll wager it's (white) washed over

Will he be calling someone a "motherf****r," though. Apparently he has it written into all his acting contracts that he gets to say it on camera at least once.

NSP

LE
Build trust with a slogan, and that slogan is "New Leadership"

Yep, that should do it, a bit of sloganeering and by golly didn't they choose an absolute winner. I'm in.
Well, that's catchy, isn't it?

They should stick with "For the many, not the few Jew." It's far more accurate.

I think you may have missed the bit at the end... the bit about opening the article up for comments as they invariably do for any article in which a Conservative Minister is named / blamed.

I don’t think there is much wrong with the article per se but in a comparative way... Do you imagine that Boris bunging out a new slogan at the start of his party conference would get the same ‘reasonable‘ coverage? That it wouldn’t be opened up to public comments?
Actually, I don't know as I don't tend to look for or read any comments (be it on BBC stuff or elsewhere).

The occasions I've seen any (mostly when linked to by contributors on ARRSE), they seem to be full of nutters' incoherent rants - like Twitter, but with more outrage.

As for Boris, yes, I would expect him to get reasonable coverage, but that doesn't mean I would expect the BBC to be uncritical.

For better or worse, he's the guy at the top taking the decisions that affect our lives, whereas Keir 'whiner' Starmer can only count the paperclips and moan from the side-lines, so I would expect greater scrutiny and criticism of Boris and the government, even by the national broadcaster.

That doesn't mean I don't think that the BBC is biased, because it is, particularly when it tries to do comedy or satire, which has become excruciating in its wokeness and bile from its anti-government ‘contributors’.

Likewise, the BBC’s whole approach to Brexit, as one journalist pointed out a while ago, wasn’t just biased, but bad journalism, which I think is still causing them an excellent level of cognitive dissonance.

I think this was just the second week with the new (Jewish) Chairman.

(He made some comment last week about his circumcision been merely "a snip").

An "audience" twittering away on-line, is unusual, but that and the awful canned-laughter, is something we may have to get used to :( .

I was just listening to as much of the Saturday repeat that I could physically bear. It is not, I think, as I suggested. I think they have departed from the demented howling of fellow panelists and seem now to have adopted a kind of conference call 'audience'.

The oddness and strained artificiality of end result is probably made worse because the 'audience' reaction is set far too high in the audio mix.

I was just listening to as much of the Saturday repeat that I could physically bear. It is not, I think, as I suggested. I think they have departed from the demented howling of fellow panelists and seem now to have adopted a kind of conference call 'audience'.

The oddness and strained artificiality of end result is probably made worse because the 'audience' reaction is set far too high in the audio mix.
I agree with you about the odd sound from the conference call audience which made the whole thing sound strangely flat.

I've got to admit, I quite like the current chairman (Andy Zaltzman) despite his politics, but then I've been listening to his podcast for years (and his sister's as well, for that matter).

He's also been pretty entertaining as the statistician this summer on Test Match Special.

Yes, I know, I need to get out more.

I agree with you about the odd sound from the conference call audience which made the whole thing sound strangely flat.

I've got to admit, I quite like the current chairman (Andy Zaltzman) despite his politics, but then I've been listening to his podcast for years (and his sister's as well, for that matter).

He's also been pretty entertaining as the statistician this summer on Test Match Special.

Yes, I know, I need to get out more.

It's a programme that has huge potential. It just screams out for balance.

The current scary 'audience' effect is largely one forced on the producers in order to deal with the technical constraints of the pandemic. Hopefully that side of things on this and other programmes can be tweaked to better suit the straitened circumstances as things move on, complaints mount up and experience is gained.

It's the lack of political balance that is something that deserves immediate attention.

I actually quite liked, for example, the late Jeremy Hardy. He could be very funny.... up until the point when he'd almost inevitably go off on one. He was a very talented man, but he made his political sympathies very obvious and there was never any balance or counterpoint. What should have been comedy to be enjoyed by all would very often sound as if it had drifted into some kind of a slightly pithy Red Guards 'struggle session'.

I would find a similar programme panelled and produced almost exclusively by overt Tory sympathisers equally depressing.

There may be changes. I don't know the politics of the newly-installed DG of the BBC, but he certainly seems conscious of the criticisms being levelled at his corporation as he is conscious that the future form of the BBC is currently under review.

To coin the words of someone not a million miles from here, we must 'Wait and see'.

And will remain insulated from as long as the licence fee exists.
Speaking of which, my Father had a reminder from the BBC today that he needs to set up a direct debit for his tv licence or face a £1000.00 fine. (He will of course not be getting a tv licence)
In the small print at the bottom of the letter it was pointed out that the fine in Guernsey was set at £2000.00 How so?

Did the BBC not have a warning before the show, offering a helpline number for, 'if you feel you have been affect by any of the programs content' then call "0800 666666" or text "softcnut"
They get a bit uppity if you dial that numbers and cmlainf
Speaking of which, my Father had a reminder from the BBC today that he needs to set up a direct debit for his tv licence or face a £1000.00 fine. (He will of course not be getting a tv licence)
In the small print at the bottom of the letter it was pointed out that the fine in Guernsey was set at £2000.00 How so?
TV Signal has to travel further?

It's a programme that has huge potential. It just screams out for balance.

The current scary 'audience' effect is largely one forced on the producers in order to deal with the technical constraints of the pandemic. Hopefully that side of things on this and other programmes can be tweaked to better suit the straitened circumstances as things move on, complaints mount up and experience is gained.

It's the lack of political balance that is something that deserves immediate attention.

I actually quite liked, for example, the late Jeremy Hardy. He could be very funny.... up until the point when he'd almost inevitably go off on one. He was a very talented man, but he made his political sympathies very obvious and there was never any balance or counterpoint. What should have been comedy to be enjoyed by all would very often sound as if it had drifted into some kind of a slightly pithy Red Guards 'struggle session'.

I would find a similar programme panelled and produced almost exclusively by overt Tory sympathisers equally depressing.

There may be changes. I don't know the politics of the newly-installed DG of the BBC, but he certainly seems conscious of the criticisms being levelled at his corporation as he is conscious that the future form of the BBC is currently under review.

To coin the words of someone not a million miles from here, we must 'Wait and see'.
I recall The News Quiz when Barry Took was in the chair. Although I was younger then, I don't recall it being as overtly a political show as it has become. Iirc, Giles Coren was a team captain and there was as much focus on odd/amusing stories as on the political.
I used to like Hardy but he was one reason why TNQ became missable - each week he'd be fed a question and a five minute anti-government rant would follow.
Saltzman may make a difference. I agree about not wanting a majority Right panel.
One problem is that a lot of current comedy is jokes about politics. That's helpful for the panelists as they get fresh material, but it would be great to see more panelists who are neutral. On the plus side, TNQ hasn't become as bad as HIGNFY, which has been run into the ground.
The shows I presently enjoy most are those which ignore politics.

Labour Party: Starmer aims to build trust with 'new leadership' slogan

The BBC now appears to be Starmer’s personal advertising agency... No doubt Labour has told the DG that the licence tax is not only safe with Skier but it will be trebled when Labour get the keys to the magic money tree orchards back.

I can’t for a moment imagine the BBC writing about any Conservative politician so 'reasonably' but what is most noticeable is that it hasn’t opened the puffery for comments.

Strange that given that most of its ’Conservatives are bad' articles are opened for a hatchet job by the Rabid Remainer Collective.

Thought their new slogan was 'We would have done it differently' ...

O Zangado

War Hero
There's an expensive documentary about slavery being shown on BBC in the next few weeks
It'll be interesting if it's just a whitey bashing session, and how the subject of African's enslaving and supplying other African's is approached. I'll wager it's (white) washed over

WARNING: That programme also contains multiple appearances by one of the Arch-Priestesses of bame and woke, Afua Hirsch.

I doubt there will much by way of balance or objectivity.

OZ

I recall The News Quiz when Barry Took was in the chair. Although I was younger then, I don't recall it being as overtly a political show as it has become. Iirc, Giles Coren was a team captain and there was as much focus on odd/amusing stories as on the political.
I used to like Hardy but he was one reason why TNQ became missable - each week he'd be fed a question and a five minute anti-government rant would follow.
Saltzman may make a difference. I agree about not wanting a majority Right panel.
One problem is that a lot of current comedy is jokes about politics. That's helpful for the panelists as they get fresh material, but it would be great to see more panelists who are neutral. On the plus side, TNQ hasn't become as bad as HIGNFY, which has been run into the ground.
The shows I presently enjoy most are those which ignore politics.
I find I'm listening to Hancock's half hour on a loop most days. Never get tired of it.

I find I'm listening to Hancock's half hour on a loop most days. Never get tired of it.
Very true. I can only think of one episode of that which touched (very briefly) on a political figure, the one where Hancock tries to emigrate using a fake passport in the name of Harold Macmillan. The same with other comedies of that era.
Hancock doesn't get old.

Laurence Fishburne walt!

Latest Threads