The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watching Wimbledon.

Good to see the Armed Forces (and the RAF) have finally purged all those troublesome white men.

Just out of curiosity, would it be the BBC demanding they're out of sight? Or Wimbledon itself? Or would it be the Forces trying to show they're an inclusive employer?

Imagine positioning people based on their race and gender?

Good to see we're making progress, that's the important thing :thumleft:
Watching Wimbledon? Gammon fascist!

Why is the BBC lead story about umpteen dead illegals in the US?

Grrrr Trump (still) probably

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Why is the BBC lead story about umpteen dead illegals in the US?

Grrrr Trump (still) probably

I think to be fair to the BBC, the story does seem to focus primarily on the traffickers and record numbers of undocumented immigrants crossing the Mexican border in May...

I'm starting to wonder if the BBC is not so much biased as it is simply anti-establishment? After all, this doesn't look good on Biden's watch.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think to be fair to the BBC, the story does seem to focus primarily on the traffickers and record numbers of undocumented immigrants crossing the Mexican border in May...

I'm starting to wonder if the BBC is not so much biased as it is simply anti-establishment? After all, this doesn't look good on Biden's watch.
There is an element of that. Every journo wants a ‘gotcha’ story and they don’t care who their target is.

However there are some targets that are hate figures such as BoJo and Brexit that will always be attacked.

Just watching Wimbledon.

Good to see the Armed Forces (and the RAF) have finally purged all those troublesome white men.

Just out of curiosity, would it be the BBC demanding they're out of sight? Or Wimbledon itself? Or would it be the Forces trying to show they're an inclusive employer?

Imagine positioning people based on their race and gender?

Good to see we're making progress, that's the important thing :thumleft:

Nothing to do with the BBC.

Armed Forces Policy. See also Kings Troop, RHA.

It's probably more a case of 'let's encourage recruits from diverse backgrounds' rather 'Ooh look at us, we've got black chaps working for us'

Rightly, the BBC (and others) have reported this foul crime:

However - and for reasons best known to themselves - the final paragraph reads thus:

'Of London's 46 homicide victims in 2022, 16 (35%) have been women, according to data collected by the Met Police, British Transport Police and City of London Police.
By the same time last year, there had been 58 London homicide victims, 12 (21%) of whom were female, according to the data. . . .'

Why did some sub-ed feel it necessary to include this as, IMV, it adds nothing to the tragedy of the event?

If the intent was to highlight violence on women then -again, IMV - it misses it's mark by a mile.

The figures show that, in 2022, almost double the number of men were murdered in London: for 2021 that figure rises to more than 75% of victims were male.

If a social comment need to be made, then highlight the disparity between the numbers of male and female perpetrators.

The author of the piece seems to have 'out-woked' him/herself.

Last edited:

Holding the policy makers to account irrespective of their political colours?

Should we believe the rumours that, due to accusations that a certain 'important' BBC senior manager was too close to Downing Street, a major re-shuffle has occurred.

Should we believe the rumours that, due to accusations that a certain 'important' BBC senior manager was too close to Downing Street, a major re-shuffle has occurred.
I guess we'll find out when Labour get in again.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Nothing to do with the BBC.

Armed Forces Policy. See also Kings Troop, RHA.

It's probably more a case of 'let's encourage recruits from diverse backgrounds' rather 'Ooh look at us, we've got black chaps working for us'

Thanks.

I've always understood that side of it. Although I've never understood why it is necessary in the military?

For the Police, I totally get why you'd need people of different backgrounds to engage with people from areas rich in different cultures - after all, if you're part of a society who have been stopped and searched for no other reason than being black - you're going to feel much more comfortable and less apprehensive about engaging with a police officer from the same culture.

But what's the Army's reason? Almost every Army recruitment campaign now features solely people of colour. I'm not entirely sure why the colour of its members reflecting society helps them be a more effective fighting machine?

The thing that's never really sat well with me is the concept of using (essentially) racism, to promote such a policy.

Having said all that, it's the way of the world these days and in my eyes as regular as the sun and moon rising.

IIt just sounds to me like lots of peoole within these institutions think "oh that's a good idea" and implement it without stopping to understand what they are wanting to achieve.

Wot, a major re-shuffle of BBC senior management?

Good to hear Katie Razzall on the Today programme this morning.

I worked with her at ITN in the 90s. The fragrant Katie Derham was also there at the time. When Derham was made aware or the arrival of the the other Katie she remarked:
'Razzall, that's a boys **** mag isn't it?'

I've had a drink with Katie R's old man Lord Razzall, as it happens and despite her toned down accent and demeanour, Katie is in fact the Hon. Katharine Mary Razzall..

IIt just sounds to me like lots of peoole within these institutions think "oh that's a good idea" and implement it without stopping to understand what they are wanting to achieve.

I guess it saves time by using the same 21st century approach to recruiting and PR as you do for your wars.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wot, a major re-shuffle of BBC senior management?
They might need a reshuffle in the news dept what with all the lefty presenters leaving the Beeb. Marr, Maitliss, et al.

Thanks.

I've always understood that side of it. Although I've never understood why it is necessary in the military?

For the Police, I totally get why you'd need people of different backgrounds to engage with people from areas rich in different cultures - after all, if you're part of a society who have been stopped and searched for no other reason than being black - you're going to feel much more comfortable and less apprehensive about engaging with a police officer from the same culture.

But what's the Army's reason? Almost every Army recruitment campaign now features solely people of colour. I'm not entirely sure why the colour of its members reflecting society helps them be a more effective fighting machine?

The thing that's never really sat well with me is the concept of using (essentially) racism, to promote such a policy.

Having said all that, it's the way of the world these days and in my eyes as regular as the sun and moon rising.

Could it be that it's more a case of fishing for recruits in as many pools as possible.

Or possibly handy if you want attack an African despot and need to infiltrate his armed forces.

All "convenience" stores have a mark-up on supermarket retail prices, ditto service stations. They even have "Premium mark-up aisles" where the best sellers attract the higher prices. They all do it, not just Asian shopkeepers.
Have you ever wondered why service stations and some shops have their aisles arranged to block your direct path to the till? It apparently increases the odds of you noticing something you need to buy. From a security perspective, it blocks a thieves direct escape route. The joys of working with retail psychologists!
I once got told off very loudly because I waltzed up to the exit barrier and pulled it open to get through to the till to pay for my petrol. Having been well told, I then redeemed myself by existing back through the aisles of overpriced pies and pasties.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Could it be that it's more a case of fishing for recruits in as many pools as possible.

Or possibly handy if you want attack an African despot and need to infiltrate his armed forces.

Possibly.

Like I say, I've kind of accepted it as the new norm so it doesn't really keep me up at night.

But I cannot help wonder on occasion, when society is going to slowly realise most nurses are women, most engineers are male, most taxi drivers are south-Asian, most sprinters are afro-carribean, etc no matter how much they try to change the status quo.

In fact in Sweden didn't this type of relentless campaigning have the exact opposite effect? I remember reading that somewhere...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks.

I've always understood that side of it. Although I've never understood why it is necessary in the military?…

…But what's the Army's reason? Almost every Army recruitment campaign now features solely people of colour. I'm not entirely sure why the colour of its members reflecting society helps them be a more effective fighting machine?

The Armed Forces has not recruited well from various minority groups. One of the reasons is that there is a perception in those groups that we are hostile to them and that they will not be welcome.

The use of positive images of minorities is to counter those perceptions.

Pagan-Image

War Hero
The Armed Forces has not recruited well from various minority groups. One of the reasons is that there is a perception in those groups that we are hostile to them and that they will not be welcome.

The use of positive images of minorities is to counter those perceptions.
But by that same token, would it not be better to show Armed Forces personnel of every Gender and Hue working together as a harmonious whole.

Rather than just fixating on certain groups!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Thanks @bigeye and @BuggerAll for your considered responses.

It's a genuine curiosity of mine I don't believe anyone has really been able to answer (from a certain perspective at least).

I think I've always felt there's no real solution to a problem I didn't think existed (but then I would think that, being white) - I'm more of a "we need soldiers, we don't care what colour you are" type person and curious as to why someone of colour would feel unwelcome. And positive discrimination (which is fundamentally racism) does not appear achieve the desired result. Again no idea why? Perhaps it's those patronising recruitment campaigns which haven't really worked because people smell a rat? Who knows.

Anyway, apologies for thread drift.

Latest Threads