The battles that changed Britain the most

IMHO one of those stupid indeterminate polls that just turns up loads of popular myth and bad history.

This even kicks off with a highly subjective statement: "Her (Boudica) revolt almost stopped the Roman Empire in its tracks." Er, no it didn't.... it was a relatively minor event on the outer periphery of the Roman Empire.

This is a re-enactment, but I wonder what happened when the two blocks of pikemen collided in earnest, as they would have been impelled into each other for real. Hacking, punching, stabbing and clawing; or a nice chat about the weather...?

In all seriousness though, out of those options, I'd say Armada was the one that changed us the most, being as it led to the naval domination which allowed the Empire to flourish

Does it have to be limited to on these shores? For instance there is an argument the battles that changed Germany the most were thousands of miles from their borders (Kursk, Stalingrad et al). So what about Azincourt or Ypres?

This is a re-enactment, but I wonder what happened when the two blocks of pikemen collided in earnest, as they would have been impelled into each other for real. Hacking, punching, stabbing and clawing; or a nice chat about the weather...?
Back up lads, we're too close to use the pikes!

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
In all seriousness though, out of those options, I'd say Armada was the one that changed us the most, being as it led to the naval domination which allowed the Empire to flourish
I always believed that the RN really started to grow and begin its road to domination after the restoration. In part this was in response to the continued raids on the SW Coast of England and W Coast of Ireland by Barbary Corsairs. However I stand to be corrected if someone knows better.

That would be the arrival of a bunch of often illegal immigrants, the barbarian Anglo-Saxons, the English. Not really a battle more of a cultural swamping that wiped out much of the natives ways in a manner the highly destructive Norman invasion didn't.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe that there are three linked battles that have impacted greatly on British history in the recent past. They even handed out medal for them.

I refer, of course, to the Battles of Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubblee.

One of the Stuart/Hannover shindigs, I'd have thought. Settling that affair set the tone for the way the country was governed and the way it evolved.

No mention of the Battle of Calais?

Yorktown.

If Cornwallis hadn't had the tactical genius of Napoleon on his off day at Waterloo, Los Angeles would be Thorpington-on-Sea.

Listening to most media outlets today it appears that 'The Battle for Leadership of the Labour Party' must be up there with some of the more famous military ones.

Listening to most media outlets today it appears that 'The Battle for Leadership of the Labour Party' must be up there with some of the more famous military ones.
You say that...but as we now seem to have a probable Tory government for the next ten years, it could have a significant impact on the future direction of the UK. Especially with regard to international affairs and our relationship with the European Union in particular.

Battle of Bosworth August 22 1485, King Richard III killed on the battlefield ended 300 years of Plantagenet rule.