The Battle of Normandy

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Stonker, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has only taken me 12 years to get round to this, and this seemed like an appropriate moment to do so.

I have today uploaded to Scribd (so you can download it for free) a 19-page transcript of an address I heard delivered in May 2001 to the War Discussion Group at Sandhurst, by Dr Russell A Hart, entitled 10 Myths of the Wehrmacht in Normandy. Literature, it ain't, Informative - it is.

Find it by using the link below:

THE_Stonker on Scribd

There's other WW1 and more contempoirary things there too.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

In colour...

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Old, old thread with altzheimers I know, but the Tiger 1 shown 1.5 mins in has them vertical tube type cover things on the exhausts.
    Were Tigers fitted with those used in Normandy? I thought they were a North Africa, maybe Russia thing?

4. Standard Armored exhaust cover

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Right, ta, I just had an idea that the Tigers had a different exhaust system N Africa / europe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

If you look at Tiger 131 at Bovvy, you'll see the exhaust shroud is full of MG bullet holes. This specimen didn't have many miles on the clock when it was abandoned after a 6pdr round jammed the traverse.

I'd posit that when an exhaust needed working on, they simply didn't bother putting the damaged shroud back on, so that as time went by, with or without shroud was a lottery.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. That one was the one the old 1/35 and 1/25 plastic kits by Tamiya were based on in the 70's.
    It is shown in wartime photos bearing the 1st Army shield insignia after capture, has a workshop modification of a stirrup type step welded on the front.
    Still got the old 1/25 model half completed somewhere in the garage, and the very warry and colourful box art from the lid. Never got around to framing it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I first built the 1/35th scale version and painted it battleship grey like the "German" tanks in the henry fonda Battle of the Bulge movie

9. Never got the 1/35, I had a non running motorised 1/25 - the vibrations from the two little motors or whatever used to shatter the sockets that the axles sat in.
    Used some kind of "Daz" clay to represent Zimmeritt.

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I seem to recall Churchill had 131 shipped back from Tunisia, marked up as 1st Army, then exhibited, if not round the country, certainly up and down the Mall, with the message, "Tiger? Fearsome? Hardly, we're already parading them on our streets."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I can't remember what they actually used in the film - Chaffee's? Patton's?

• Like Like x 1
  12. M48s and M60s, from memory.

On rolling, scrub covered terrain with nothing in sight that even remotely resembled the Ardennes, which did not prevent the director from posing his tanks on forward slope positions, in line abreast, duelling at ranges more appropriate for a 9mm pistol.

Great art?

I think not.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. My favourite Tiger in Normandy:

The_British_Army_in_the_Normandy_Campaign_TigerII_destroyed_Le_Plessis_Grimoult_10aug_1944.jpg

Le Plessis Grimoult - destroyed courtesy of a fortunate 2" HE bomb straight down the hatch from A Coy 5 DCLI!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1