The Battle of Agincourt

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good God.I nearly forgot about this.

The Battle of Agincourt was a major English victory against a numerically superior French army in the Hundred Years' War. The battle occurred on Friday, 25 October 1415 (Saint Crispin's Day), near modern-day Azincourt, in northern France
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Two thumbs up to the English.
    Two fingers up to the French.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Lets all not forget, the French are now our best bezzers!;P
  4. Not what Sarky was saying a few days ago!
  5. Another day which should be a holiday tbh, I wonder how many English schools are learning the St Crispian's Day speech rather than the tree-hugging-lesbian-diversity festival? I'd bet good money that most of the ones in London don't even know what Agincourt is.
  6. BBC: Agincourt, WWII and other great British "Myths":

Every nation has its favourite tales from the past, but how accurate are they? On the anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, Simon Jenkins, author of A Short History of England, casts a critical eye over British legends.

Events in history like the Norman conquest, the "Glorious Revolution" and the American revolution have become rooted in national myth.

At the Battle of Agincourt, English forces defeated the numerically superior French.

It is a victory that lives on in the popular imagination thanks to the speech delivered on the eve of battle by the monarch in William Shakespeare play Henry V.

Actually, the truth can be a little different.

Continues: BBC News - Viewpoint: Agincourt, WWII and other great British 'myths'
  7. I remember learning parts of this speech at school many years ago .... Olivier's delivery is not bad ... Hi Hi ...

8. Yes I read that article briefly but failed to see why the author saw our victory was a myth, other than - in the long term it had little impact. After all we did beat a numerically superior force who were playing on home turf. We smashed them.
    It is a load of revisionist left-wing tripe tbh.
    Slightly off topic, I also didn't like his point of view that we had little impact on WW2. The evidence for this seems to be based on casualty figures. I would agree that the Russians probably had more to do with victory than most people appreciate, but if we had been invaded by the Box Heads I wouldn't have fancied America's chanced at invading Europe.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Simon Jenkins, and the BBC for that matter, can **** off.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Now now,look what happened yesterday when you upset the media luvvies!
  11. They were put to rout like a pack of dirty Frenchmen.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Simon Jenkins makes his own dresses and drinks white wine spritzers. He probobly has a poodle as well..... The short arsed kind.

13. They were for a couple of the Frogs are being ***** again,they want to rule the EU,once a Frog always a Frog,we need a Anti Frog Thread..We need to ban slugs,frog legs,orrible Froggy Plonk and smelly cheese.We need a law to convert all French women (the good looking ones) to Englishism and make the smelly/arrogant men grow onions,Long live England.....
  14. The French are fine as long as they content themselves with smoking vile cigarettes, wanking in cinemas, and providing delicious comestibles for their English betters. Occasionally they rise above their station and need scything back with fire and steel.
    • Like Like x 1