Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The battle for Goose Green

There is an old truism, which applies to all the services (and civvie street if the truth were known) - you don't get to high rank by sticking your neck out on the battlefield, you get to high rank by hanging around HQs sucking up to those who can promote you.
Its the same in the police. You don't get to high rank by going around arresting villians.

Has nobody mentioned "Don't cry for me Sergeant-Major" yet? Gives a feel for how things went, rather than a detailled blow by blow account. Wasn't there both a book and a tv-film of a Scots-Guards officer with a nearly fatal head-wound too -- but that was Tumbledown rather than G.G. of course.
Yes, Lt Robert Lawrence MC whose son is at RMAS en route to the Scots Guards.

After the Manchester terror attack the chief fire officer was replaced by a woman who had never attended a fire - she had got all the way to the top via the HR route. Funnily enough, I worked for a simulation company where two of the MDs had come up the same way.

So they failed to come up the VR route?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sorry Danny, can you translate that into English for the non officers amongst us. Is that the equivelent of Lt Col?
OF4 - Lt Col
OF5 - Col

philc

LE
Yes, Lt Robert Lawrence MC whose son is at RMAS en route to the Scots Guards.

That surprises me, I believe Robert Lawrence was rather bitter about his injury and treatment, lids off berets on as I recall. Maybe time has mellowed him.

That surprises me, I believe Robert Lawrence was rather bitter about his injury and treatment, lids off berets on as I recall. Maybe time has mellowed him.
Yes he and his father an ex Sq Ldr were very vocal about the treatment of the wounded, and their exclusion from various victory celebrations.

I saw a documentary a few years ago that made much of the animosity that Jones had for OC A Company, a certain Charles Farrar-Hockley. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde - to fall out with one of your Company Commanders is unfortunate, to fall out with two of them sounds like carelessness. His father, Anhony Farrar-Hockley was (and probably still is) held in very high regard in airborne circles - perhaps there was an element of wanting to fill someones bigger boots here.
It was also part of the medal frenzy. His dad had both an MC and a DSO, so lots to catch up with.

@Roadster280

I hadn't thought of that. It certainly makes me stop and think.
Very hard to imagine him in a situation like that in 4years time as he is still so tiny. I dont think he even makes 5ft yet and I have carried a heavier bergan through Norway than he weighs.

@wafubustard - something your lad might want to consider is that some of the lads down there would have been only 4 years older than he is now. A point not lost on me at the time, I was 13 going on 14, so a similar age.
Also consider, the time elapsed between the Falklands War and now is the same as between D-Day and the Falklands War. Living and corporate memories, and lessons, would have been real, first hand and raw.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Also consider, the time elapsed between the Falklands War and now is the same as between D-Day and the Falklands War. Living and corporate memories, and lessons, would have been real, first hand and raw.
Clever bugger.

Sorry, didn't get that one at first! One of the two MDs was very good and was the first MD on the British side that wasn't a yank. When the Corporation was bought by a corporate raider who had a habit of helping himself to pension funds, he put our fund into a protective bubble where all the employees had their own little bit and it couldn't be touched. When the corporate raider found out he sacked him on the spot. The other MD was a complete bozo who didn't last long after we were bought out by the French.

Sorry, didn't get that one at first! One of the two MDs was very good and was the first MD on the British side that wasn't a yank. When the Corporation was bought by a corporate raider who had a habit of helping himself to pension funds, he put our fund into a protective bubble where all the employees had their own little bit and it couldn't be touched. When the corporate raider found out he sacked him on the spot. The other MD was a complete bozo who didn't last long after we were bought out by the French.

There must have been a certain grim satisfaction in that.

QRK2

LE

There were IIRC a few of the RFA/MN whose medal groups end up including Atlantic Stars and SAMs.

Latest Threads