The Baltics: should Britain be rushing to their defence?

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Just a thought, if the balloon goes up in East and Center Europe (Baltics,Poland and Ukraine), we have large numbers of people from those countries here in UK and add more of heritage from that neck of the woods. They do not seem to be much involved in politics here, not like some recent arrivals. However, if there is conflict in their homelands can you see conflict with our native Corbyn, Momentum, left wing and Stop the War Putin lovers on the streets of the UK?
quite possibly, and i hope those groups you mentioned get the shoeing they deserve, especially the momentum types.

Just a thought, if the balloon goes up in East and Center Europe (Baltics,Poland and Ukraine), we have large numbers of people from those countries here in UK and add more of heritage from that neck of the woods. They do not seem to be much involved in politics here, not like some recent arrivals. However, if there is conflict in their homelands can you see conflict with our native Corbyn, Momentum, left wing and Stop the War Putin lovers on the streets of the UK?
I would estimate that there may be some demonstrations of support for the country of origin and intense lobbying of MPs going on to support liberty and deocracy in Europe. There would also likely be anti-Russsian regime demos, but any civil conflict is far more likely to be generated by the usual rent-a-mob that you mention, probably with some cross-over with various far-right groupings which appear to have a fondness for Putin and his gangster politics.

Edited to add: Though I'm sure that the Kremlin agitprop machine will be doing its utmost to denigrate the Ukrainians, Belorussians, Balts (of various hues) and of course the Poles.

I would estimate that there may be some demonstrations of support for the country of origin and intense lobbying of MPs going on to support liberty and deocracy in Europe. There would also likely be anti-Russsian regime demos, but any civil conflict is far more likely to be generated by the usual rent-a-mob that you mention, probably with some cross-over with various far-right groupings which appear to have a fondness for Putin and his gangster politics.
Will there be violent confrontation between the groups? XLW, Momentum and Stop the War mix with XRW could prove interesting combination?

Will there be violent confrontation between the groups? XLW, Momentum and Stop the War mix with XRW could prove interesting combination?
They can get along fine if they have mutual interests. The big bully-boys set the example in 1939-41.

They can get along fine if they have mutual interests. The big bully-boys set the example in 1939-41.
Did not work out well at the end of the day!
1642183351747.png

Stalin got half of what he wanted in the end,

Going by what we see in Canada with immigrants (and their descendants) from Ukraine and the Baltics, that will depend on whether the immigrant community have social clubs, sports clubs, and organizations where they congregate, community newspapers, radio and cable channels, etc. If they have a degree of organization then that can be turned to political influence in favour of their policy towards whatever country it is they came from.

Something that is usually far more important than marches or declarations is political volunteers to knock on doors and distribute flyers during elections on behalf of whichever candidate they support.

How much this matters in the UK as compared to Canada is something that I'm not able to comment on. In Canada there are very strict campaign funding laws which make it difficult for someone to simply buy influence with a pile of money. Election volunteers however are priceless and a good place to recruit them is in the types of places that I outlined above.

Sweden sends troops to Gotland as Russia increases activity in Baltic Sea

Non-militarily aligned country has stressed it retains the option to apply for Nato membership

Capture.PNG

(Also posted on the Belarus/Poland thread)

As someone is currently pre-occupied, obsessed, with the number of pixels, bytes, I consume posting on the "All internet links video“ thread, I will have to leave this here for the moment . . .

"As well as adding significant additional mileage, and around another hour to the flight time, the route apparently took the 747 over the headquarters of the Finnish Air Force, located in Tikkakoski, outside the city of Jyväskylä, as well as a military intelligence unit in the same city. RU675’s detour also took it in apparent close proximity to the military airbase at Halli in central Finland, although this doesn’t currently have any permanently based aircraft . . . ".

EDIT: I presume its purpose would include an element of surveillance, information gathering, as well as, the intimidation that @Electro suggests ?!

Also posted on the NATO/Russia related, Ukraine thread, and the Belarus/Poland thread.

Last edited:

Latest Threads