The Baltics: should Britain be rushing to their defence?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Mar 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YarS

YarS On ROPs

No. We don't want to be in a union with such stupids.
    Not yet. But may be in the future. There are enough of pro-Russian guys in Finland.
    Money talks, bullsh-t walks, and business in Finland have many links with Russia.

Another hypotetical scenario - conflict of EU and NATO, because of question of Svalbard shalf. What side will you choose?

2. I’ve said before there should be an Arctic thread covering the Arctic (of course and those countries within the Arctic Circle), but others don’t see the need.

• Like Like x 1
  3. YarS

YarS On ROPs

Norway is a Baltic state, too. And there are potentional conflict at Svalbard, because both EU and Norway pretend to control it's shalf with snow crabs, oil and gas fields. Norway is part of NATO, as you know. Should Britain rushing on its defence in case of EU agression against Norway?

4. YarS

YarS On ROPs

May be, they are not too wrong. I mean, Britain have no possibilities to active military actions in Arctic, so what's a need to discuss about sour grapes ?

5. I wrote about it previously.
    Suppose that the Americans attack Russian bases in Syria with many victims. Moscow would regard it as the first step in broad agression against Russia. So as a preventive measure the Baltic states would be occupied, probably within 48 hours.
    Also Russia stops all gas, oil, electric power supplies to NATO countries.
    Suppose that Finland joins NATO. What would happen?
    Imagine Russian Energy Switched Off in Finland: Food Shortages, Spike in Prices
    Finland outside NATO? OK, business as usual or...
    In fact Moscow has no any reason to invade Finland.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. YarS

YarS On ROPs

Sure. I can say more - as EU member Finland give us much more profit.

7. As @YarS has already stated, it would be if Finland requested NATO's assistance. In that case we would be responding to a request for aid in providing self defence to a friendly country.

I would not be surprised if some members of NATO declined to get involved on the grounds that Finland was not a NATO member. They would however be the same countries who would find one excuse or another to not involve themselves if a NATO member such as Estonia were invaded. Of course we have to remember that being a NATO member only obliges other members to "consult" on what, if anything, to do next anyway.

I believe however that the core member of NATO who provide most the effective military forces would respond to a request for aid from Finland to the same degree as if Finland were an actual NATO member. In any run up to a war with Russia, I would also expect there to be a great deal of consultation between the Finish government and the key members of NATO in which quiet assurances would be given.

The best situation though I suspect is if Finland maintains an armed nominal neutrality which is respected by all sides (so long as it is respected by all sides). That allows NATO to concentrate its forces in a place where they might have decisive effect in the hypothetical situation where we were prepared to engage in a stand up fight with Russia.

I'm reminded of the Cold War situation where many people in western European countries were under the impression that WWIII would consist of a short scuffle on the German border followed by American and Soviet ICBMs passing each other overhead as the Americans altruistically sacrificed themselves on behalf of the peace loving peoples of Europe.

The Americans of course had a much different view of how things would take place and a commitment to the defence of Europe which did not extend one inch beyond the clearly visible interests of the US. Things do not appear to have changed much in that regards to this day.

• Like Like x 4
  8. YarS

YarS On ROPs

Abother drug-addicted Western degenerate try to play with himself in the tin soldiers.
    "Vladimir Putin is playing a vast chess game with NATO, and his next move is to invade the Baltic nations. When this happens, the United States will need to move armored forces quickly to Europe via Poland in order to prevent NATO from being checkmated, and it’s going to have a problem doing that. Note that I said “when” Putin invades rather than “if.” It’s clear that his grand strategy is to rebuild Russia’s empire of buffer states in a vain attempt to satisfy his nation’s cultural paranoia regarding outside invaders. It is equally clear, given his stated intention to seek another term, that he can afford to be patient.".. .

In a Chess Game with Putin, the Polish City of Gdansk Is Our Queen

9. YarS

YarS On ROPs

As I said earlier, Canadians are most clever guys from all Westies. They start to guess how stupid they looks like in Baltic, and how they discredit even idea of NATO "protection". Other even don't care about opinion of local orientals.
    Die kanadischen Nato-Truppen kämpfen in Lettland auch an der PR-Front | NZZ

"Die Ankunft der Kanadier in Lettland begleitete ein übler Propaganda-Artikel,der Fotos eines wegen Mordes verurteilten Kommandanten in Frauenkleidern zeigte und in dem behauptet wurde, alle kanadischen Soldaten seien homosexuell und eine militärische Lachnummer. "

10. I see your understanding of complicated issues is on par with a 14 year old again.

From your link
    Col Lejins I believe is Latvian.

11. Yep, Cdr Land Forces: Ministry of Defence

12. YarS

YarS On ROPs

Ha! Of course, it's a West article, so all, that discredit gloriouse NATO forces is a "fake news" by a definition. Read Wikipedia about this representative of Canadian military elite:

Russell Williams (criminal) - Wikipedia

13. YarS

YarS On ROPs

[​IMG]
    And they demonstrate real face of NATO forces.

14. YarS

YarS On ROPs

In many other NATO countries it is not even a problem to be incompetent, homosexual, serial murderer and Neo-Nazi.

15. I posted a story some time back which stated that negative propaganda was expected. This was back when the Canadian mission was still in the early planning stages. I'm not going back through 400 pages to find it, but it is back there for anyone who is interested.