The Baltics: should Britain be rushing to their defence?

Hmmmmmmm. Crayoning should not be encouraged.

Dainis Turlais confirmed as new Rīga mayor
1559395727085.png

Dinis Turlais is the new mayor of Latvian capital Riga. He said
I am here not to polish my career, because in my previous life I have achieved enough to be proud of.
Turlais was commander of the Defense Forces of the Republic of Latvia (1992-1994) and later a Saeima deputy, government minister and advisor.
Also mr.Turlais is retired colonel of Soviet army. He served in Afghanistan and continues to receive Russian military pension (about 9000 Euro per year).

€9k a year pension? As a full Colonel? Is the pay that poor in Russia?
Dainis Turlais - Wikipedia
Yes pensions in Russia are very modest. For example my pension is only $300 per month. Pension of my late Father - retired colonel of KGB was not huge at all.
Anyway Russian officers have to serve 25 years to receive full pensions. Mr.Turlais retired being about 40. So he hasn't right for full pension anyway.
Турлайс, Дайнис — Википедия
From 1985 to 1989, he served as Chief of Operations for the 40th Army in Afghanistan

Yes pensions in Russia are very modest. For example my pension is only $300 per month. Pension of my late Father - retired colonel of KGB was not huge at all.
Anyway Russian officers have to serve 25 years to receive full pensions. Mr.Turlais retired being about 40. So he hasn't right for full pension anyway.
Fair one. No wonder the pension reforms are so disliked.

Grey Fox

On ROPS
On ROPs
As a veteran of military actions, he have right to additional pension (2850 roubles) plus additional privilegies (like a free of pay city transport, free health care, decreased utility bills and so on), but he can get all of this only in Russia.

Fair one. No wonder the pension reforms are so disliked.
I have this microscopic pension ($300 per month) but continue to work in a firm that produces under license and distributes Israeli power measurement equipment. And I have not bad income from forex operations (about $3000 per month).
As for the pension reform then it is insulting and humiliating. Crooks and thieves at power in Russia claim that they haven't money for current tiny pensions.

I have this microscopic pension ($300 per month) but continue to work in a firm that produces under license and distributes Israeli power measurement equipment. And I have not bad income from forex operations (about $3000 per month).
As for the pension reform then it is insulting and humiliating. Crooks and thieves at power in Russia claim that they haven't money for current tiny pensions.
No wonder people are upset. They should do something about it. Maybe protest in the streets?

No wonder people are upset. They should do something about it. Maybe protest in the streets?
As the first step - no one vote for the party of Crooks and Thieve, no one vote for Putin's protégé during presidential elections.

As the first step - no one vote for the party of Crooks and Thieve, no one vote for Putin's protégé during presidential elections.
That’s years away. Meanwhile your somewhat (based on your evidence) meagre pensions are not being paid

Grey Fox

On ROPS
On ROPs
Question is not only in money. Money is dust. Question is what can you buy for this money. How many British pensioners can't allow themselves to keep their houses warm in winter? How many British military pensioners don't have their own (even one) houses at all? How many British military pensioners have positions in top-management of British corporations?

Question is not only in money. Money is dust. Question is what can you buy for this money. How many British pensioners can't allow themselves to keep their houses warm in winter? How many British military pensioners don't have their own (even one) houses at all? How many British military pensioners have positions in top-management of British corporations?
A Col in the British Army would be on considerably more than €9k a year. Even with the cost of living that’s pretty poor

Grey Fox

On ROPS
On ROPs
A Col in the British Army would be on considerably more than €9k a year. Even with the cost of living that’s pretty poor
I tell not only about Colonels. How many British veterans don't have house or flat in property? 50-60%, or even more? How many British veterans can't warm their houses at winter? 50-60%, or evn more? How many of British veterans have second house in countryside? How many British Petroleum top-managers are veterans of numerous British wars and conflicts?