The Babcock Trophy

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Dirtyfilthymech, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody have any info on the history of The Babcock trophy.

apologies if this has been posted before.... I couldn't be arrsed looking.

ta very much

2. Still nobody?

3. For 10 years it's provided me with an excuse to go to London, get heinously drunk on the Friday and Saturday, eat pasties, make a tit of myself in Walkabout on the Embankment, then go back to wales with an empty wallet and the occasional bout of vomiting.

4. ARU history

or

Wiki page

Army v Navy Matches and Inter-Service competitions (1878 onwards)

On 13th February 1878 the Officers of the Army played, for the first time, the Officers of the Royal Navy at Kennington Oval. The Royal Navy won the match by a goal and a try to a goal. An account of the match can be found on the Army Navy Match (1878-1914) page.

Although the popularity of rugby increased in the Services, no further recorded matches took place between the Army and Royal Navy until 1907, after which an annual Inter-Service Championship was inaugurated. The Championship was suspended during the First (1914-1918) and Second World War (1939-45) but resumed in 1920 and 1946 respectively.

The Royal Air Force (RAF), formed in 1918, became competition participants in 1920. In the early years of the Championship the Royal Navy dominated the game, but since the Second World Wars the fortunes of Army has been in the ascendancy (see the Inter-Services Championship statistics).

Separate Inter-Service competitions were created for women and veteran (over 35 years) service teams in 2003.

google is your friend :wink:

5. Yes i found that fella, but thanks for your efforts. I was wondering more about the trophy than the match and who/what is Babcock?