The B-52 Of Armored Vehicles

Discussion in 'RAC' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. M1 rebuilt with a diesel engine would be the obvious thing for them to do.
  3. Do what we do. If it works keep it for 50 years. The M1 is a cracking piece of kit than can defeat anything. Any replacement is bound to be disappointing.
  4. No need. Have you ever seen Uncle Sams G4 chain?

Mahooosively impressive.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

as a layman in these matters, would not a vehicle like the Merkava be a good choice for the urban operations that are being undertaken at the minute? would an infantry team carried by that be better protected from IED strikes, or would they be disadvantaged by being not as aware of their surroundings?
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Merkava isn't actually designed to take a full section of infantry - it's rear door thingy was basically there to allow it to do the following.

Load ammunition quickly - big problem in 1973 with Centurions and M-60's
    Provide easy pickup of crews of disabled armour
    Can be set up as a mini ambulance carryong 3-4 stretchers
    Command unit with lots of comms gear.
    Easy escape for crew in case of it all going tits up.

Personally I think the stage will be crew under hull armour - ie turret made smaller carrying ammo and auto loader - crew size reduced and optics allowing them to fight the tank from postions in the hull.
  7. Maybe a purpose designed IFV with Chally 2 /Abrams/Leo2 level of protection, but carrying 8-10 inf like a Warrior, with the 40mm CTW cannon in the turret? The Israelis have the Achzarit, converted from a Centurion as an Urban APC...
  8. Would be cheap, effective and quick to field... naaaawh, never!

9. And a BV

10. Only one problem with the Merkava concept, Hizbullah very quickly found that the back door is the weak link in it's armour and started targetting them in 2006 with rather pyrotechnic results as the ammunition cooked off..
  11. Achzarit is actually a T-55 conversion. The Israelis do have Centurions converted to APCs and armoured engineer vehicles- the various types are called Puma, Nagmachon and Nakpadon. Then there is the Namer, which is a heavy APC built on a Merkava chassis.
  12. There was a new gas-turbine engine in the works. Not sure what happened to it, something like 50% less fuel.

A Bradely IFV replacement should have greater priority than Abrams.
  13. I'm inclined to agree with the idea of the Bradley needing a replacement first.

I can think of a number of improvements to the M1, it is, after all, predominantly upgraded 1970s technology, but the fundamental design is very sound. The largest change I might make to it is changing from hydraulic to electric turret controls. Otherwise, most else could be incremental.

14. I dare not think what would have happened if the US Forces carried out their blitzkreig advance on Bagdahd in British tanks. The REME would still be recovering them now.
  15. Chieftan has been withdrawn, DD.