The Azores

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Tartan_Terrier, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been given a very good quote for a family holiday to the Azores, so I'm looking for some info and tips from anyone who's been there.

It's São Miguel island, which looks very nice indeed from the photos, is it as nice as it looks?

What about prices in restaurants etc.? Or indeed the general price level of things (I was thinking that since it's miles from anywhere everything has to be sailed or flown there)?

Are there decent car hire places? Is there much to see?

Cheers in advance for any help.

T_T

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The wife and I went last year (November time) spent 2 weeks around the islands (Sao Miguel, Tercierra, Pico) I'd be happy to give you some pointers and thoughts.

PM me with some idea of:

When, where (hotel location) and how long for.

I'll give you a PM back with some thoughts.

S_R

3. I was stuck in Horta, Faial for a couple of weeks about 10 years ago. We day tripped to other islands and from memory the best things about Sao Miguel were the stunning views over the Lakes (one blue, one green) and the thermal springs. They served us a meal in a pot which they cook in the hot earth - tasted a bit sulphurous. The recipe is said to start with the words "Take a volcano...". Personally I wouldn't bother with car hire - taxis, boats and walking are preferable.

10 years ago facilities were pretty meagre and the restaurants catered for locals rather than tourists, so cheap and cheerful. Cafe Sort in Horta was our main hangout. The islanders were all exceptionally helpful and chatty. Lot of dolphin and whale watching, bird spotting and scenery; no whoring, no swearing, everyone on best behaviour etc. I was getting itchy feet by the end of the first week.