The Auxilliary Units

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by happybonzo, Feb 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if the Auxilliary Units, the "stay behind" people, ever recieved any recognition for their war time service?
    I know that some of them went onto serve with the SAS when the Auxilliers were disbanded

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Depends what you mean by recognition. They probably got the Defence Medal and I'm guessing the 1939-45 Star.

3. happybonzo - "Does anyone know if the Auxilliary Units, the "stay behind" people, ever recieved any recognition for their war time service?"

Recognition for what? Something they said they would do if and when, but never got the opportunity to do because the circumstances never arose? Good for them for accepting the offer, but apart from occasional stays in a hole and otherwise watching the Germans bomb the cows…………….(joke).

Of course Labour bollox could score a few cheap points but inventing something like they did for the Sheffield factory women etc. Cheap because the vast majority are now dead so their bean counters can advise now much any of these bollox '‘promos' will cost and equate that to their spin value.

It’s bollox because we were a county engaged in total war which meant if you were here you were in it. To devise some gallantry pecking order is bollox as is claiming to ‘honour’ some forgotten faction. I’ll have a special award for my uncle who was a non ferrous welder of aircraft parts and a full duration Home Guard from day one. Being South London he worked in a German target site and lived in a target area and flight path. His manor alone had 41 hits. Sh1t by day and sh1t by night. But, he was only one of many which translated to millions throughout Britain, so what’s ‘special’ about him?

But, if you can invent some award for ‘Land Girls’ – who gathered our oats by day and got their oats by night, all in the safe fresh countryside – then why not? :roll:

RP578 – ”They probably got the Defence Medal and I'm guessing the 1939-45 Star.”

Being Army the Home Guard had entitlement to Army awards, but, generally the only criteria which applied was 3 years (1080 days) service for the Defence Medal. The 39-45 Star was essentially for 180 days overseas service unless you were killed or seriously wounded. For the Home Guard the Defence Medal could be awarded for less than 1080 days if they were killed or seriously wounded – on duty of course.

No.9

4. try contacting these people http://www.parhamairfieldmuseum.co.uk/broabout.html or the iwm