The Austin Champ

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Ruckerwocman, Aug 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's one for Tropper! :eye: This is said to be a 1953(?) Austin Champ that someone collected on this side of the pond. The registration number is supposed to be the one it came with from the factory. Is it possible to tell from that what kind of service it would have seen and where when it was one of many reconnaissance cars assigned to the motor pool? :policecap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

werent they used as civil defense vehicles and stored like the gypsy was? they only got rid of those 10 years ago

4. Not as far as I remember. They were a purely military vehicle.

I learned to drive in one. Five speed box, with a transfer box and a forward and reverse box = ten speeds forward and ten back. It was so low geared that one never used first unless towing. (I believe that the design point was to be able to two a 17 pdr. anti-tank gun up a sloping shingle beach.)

They were great fun to drive but had a very high centre of gravity and so could be rolled a little too easily. Due to the water proofing, changing a spark plus was a major undertaking and they had a propensity to break back axles.

They were ditched, in favour of Land Rovers, because they were just so damned expensive to maintain