The Ashes 2010/11

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by box-of-frogs, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's just under 100 days until the next Ashes series kicks off in Brisbane. Is anyone else worried about the complete lack of form from Cook and Pietersen???
  2. Yes with regard to Cook. I am not worried about Pietersen as I don't think he should go - he is a one trick pony; a twerp seduced by his own estimate of his own ability - a South African twerp.

I am more concerned about:

the behaviour of our (England's) latest centurion: Broad - splendid cricketer, pity he behaves like a total 'chav' and oik!
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Cut him some slack, I think that was a rare slip in his character tbh, mind you 'm well impressed that he finally got a century - though some would say it was only a matter of time (cheers to his dad for that genetic inheritence).

Finn has been a great find, and I think he will prosper on the hard Aussie wickets, and Swann will prove as reliable as ever.

I still feel our biggest weakness has been the lack of a great swing bowler in the mould of Simon Jones, though more robust and less breakable would be nice.
  4. I'm not sure Broad's behaviour is out of character - he's got a bit of history on dissent and trying it on.

Agree with Finn. Would love to see Shahzad get a run in the side - he's pretty zippy and a good 'reverser' a la Simon Jones would be nice.
  5. Broad hasn't toured Australia yet (has he?). The WACA and MCG should chip off some of his edges, can't wait to hear the sledging develop.
  6. He's young, passionate and aggressive.

Time and experience will mould those traits and smooth the edges. I for one do not want a pacified and restrained opening bowler so lets look to the high cap players around him to nurture what is without doubt a great talent.

Finn, I'm very excited about.

KP should travel if he leaves the ego behind, not that there should be much of it left by now...

Cook, needs to find consistency and form. Really needs a good first test otherwise the Aussies will smell blood.

I think we are the better team, but the home advantage is a good leveller. Really, really can't wait.
  7. I just hope my Aussie brother in law isn't laughing too much when he's staying at ours over the Boxing Day test..........
  8. I actually think the squad (as announced) is not too bad. The fact that they have proper warm up matches and the performance team with them helps. I personally wouldn't have put Monty in (unless he has miraculously got back to his previous form). But the question remains really for Australia. They have a new bunch coming through - but do any of them look like real winners yet?

I would go for England retaining the ashes at the end of this.
  9. rampant

Well things look bright down in the Antipodes, the Australia A game has been going well with Bell posting a century in a 198 run partnership with Colly. But best of all Monty took a catch.

I'll say that again, Monty took a stunning catch:

edited, I have found a better one:

Monty Panesar 'catch of the year' video sets Twitter aflutter |

Australia A v England XI, Hobart, 2nd day: Ian Bell dominates Australia A with unbeaten century | Australia A v England XI, Hobart, 2nd day Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo
  10. Diving, one handed, who would have thought it?
  11. rampant

Cheered me up no end, I have to say. Lets hope England perform well through the series and retain the Ashes, I need something to cheer me up for I fear Scottish Rugby is going to be somewhat masochistic for it's supporters (again).

Anyone know a good proxy that I could use to watch the Ashes Games live online?
  12. With the start of play for the series at around midnight UK time, and stumps at around 8am, will you be pulling an all-nighter for the first Test and calling the boss with excuses in the morning?
  13. rampant

No worries for me, I've gone freelance, so my hours are mine to make when I choose, deadlines excepting. Happy Dayz! :biggrin:
  14. rampant

Shameless swiped from the Guardian Cricket feeds in order to sate my growing impatience for the opening Test next week, a little musical ditty:

I say, they seem to be "Throwin'it down'" in the common parlance:

15. I will be bunging TMS on the radio, earpiece in when I go to bed, and drift in and out through the night. I'll get the first hour or so till I drop off, probably wake up at 3 ish for 30 mins or so, and again at half four or 5, when I will stay awake until I have to get up at 6. That should give me enough of a cricket fix coupled with (just about) enough sleep.