The Artillery Centre - Mag to Grid?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Cynical-Subbie, Apr 22, 2005.

?
  1. Fantastic name - I fully support it

10.3%
  2. What a load of arrse - mag to grid, get rid

89.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The Artillery Centre"

Is it a necessary evil or must it go?

Your thoughts please.

2. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Surely the centre of artillery is the letter L....

3. Right, can someone explain this to an ex-gunner please

4. It was "The Royal School of Artillery".

Sensible, being a place where matters artillery are taught.

It is now "The Artillery Centre".

A sign of things to come with defence cuts? The place where all artillerymen are centrally based (with all kit in care and pres)!!!!

5. What a crock of sh1t. Hope to God we never live to see "The Engineering Centre" replacing the RSME. "Royal School of..." has the right sound about it. The aleternative sounds like a cross between a museum and a place for mongs.

6. Are the 'Engineer Centre', 'Signals Centre', 'Infantry Centre' and 'Logistics Centre' all to follow soon?

Is it because it's the beginning of the financial year and there's money in the bag to spare at the moment? We are constantly being told that we have to save where we can. If they stopped changing Unit, Department or Agency names on the whim of some high ranking officer who wants to be remembered for something (anything!) we would save a fortune in replaced signs, letter headings, documentation etc.

It'll be the Royal School of Artillery again in a couple of years and all that money will be wasted again!

7. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

I think i might let this one run for a couple of weeks. :D

8. The Artillery Centre, really. It makes us sound like a chippy Coprs, rather than a Royal Regiment.

Will we become the Corps of Artillery, Air Defence and Sound Ranging

Harupmf

9. The Artillery Centre refers to the amalgamated HQ DRA and Royal School of Artillery, both located at Larkhill. My understanding is therefore that the RSA still exists. However, none of this has been communicated effectively to the Gunners hence the confusion. I would also add that this has come about due to the Barry Review, as it is only supposed to be a pilot it could therefore be reversed if it doesn't work - and if you believe that you'll believe that the Gunners would volunteer to leave Woolwich without a murmer after nearly 300 years - oops we just have!

10. I heard a whisper that a re-gain might be on the cards for Woolwich. As for 'The Artillery Centre', talk about a lack of imagination in a name. Surely the powers that be understand that having 'royal' in the name is worth a couple of thou extra to the 'floppies' who make up 50% of the students. Also heard YOs are being displaced from their YO course and marking time for a term so that floppies can have their places instead. That'll be good for recruiting...

11. The word on the gun park from an RSMI, was that artillery centre was created by the DRA in order to avoid cuts at the top in bothe HQRA and the RSA, the DRA thereby preserving his post and that of the CRA and the CI for a a few more years yet, Whilst keeping everything within the new budgetery constraints. Then again the RSMI could have been cynical who knows?

12. "Change and decay in all around I see..." No more RSA and no more Norlands Nannies for morale purposes on Friday evening..what is the world coming too? Next the Larkhill hunt will become a raffia club or some such. I'm going to the fridge, I may be some (gloop-gloop-gloop) time.

13. i agree-a sad, sad state of affairs that should not be tolerated in this day and age. shame about the change in name too...

14. Totally 100% correct Blackbrogue,the RSA does still exist,the Artillery Centre is simply the name of the entire Barracks which is made up of DRA, RSA, etc,etc....so technically they have just invented an extra name which is obviously another money wasting venture......

15. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

To that end, are we to assume that the terms RschA and 14 Regt RA are now not to be used?

Waste of money? I agree.