The Art of World War One in 52 Paintings

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by philc, Nov 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know very little about art, it’s evolution or types but I have always found the pieces produced about WW1 fascinating. The realism, style and how they portray such a brutal war with out glamorising it unlike past paintings.

You be the judge.

The Art of World War One in 52 Paintings | Made From History

• Like Like x 9
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wifey has just started OU degree in art history. Just sent her the link. She says 'thank you - great link
    Ta.

3. I remember seeing Gassed when young and it was the first time I realised after all the Battle and commando comics that war was actually a bit shit. It’s always given me a healthy respect for NBC.

• Like Like x 2
  4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

The art history’s great. I can be hauled round art gallery’s without getting bored shitless and it’s actually interesting. She’s into her art and architecture. The downside is she gets to see battlefields and places of historical interest

• Like Like x 1
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This guy, Meredith Williams, produced some great war art which continued after the war when, with his wife, they created many war memorials, stained glass windows and a lot of the work in the Scottish National War Memorial in the Castle.

An Artist’s War

An excellent book with many superb paintings and pre work sketches, plus photographs of war memorials and Windows. Really good book.

6. Must try and get to see some of these.

Excellent thread. Thank you.

7. I take it that was the huge painting in the Imperial War Museum in London. Really brought home the reality of the Great War.

8. Yes that’s the one. We used to charge through the galleries to get to the trench experience and guns in the lobby but always seemed to stop by that painting.I’ve not been back since the refurb but I hope it’s still on display.

9. The work of William Orpen at the Butte de Warlencourt I have always found an odd snapshot of a tiny portion of a vast war on a day that isn't the 'mud, blood' shorthand for the Great War. Wasn't until decades later I found that my great grandfather had been killed at Martinpuich a short distance away and overlooked by the Butte.

[​IMG]
    William Orpen: A German Gunners Shelter, Warlencourt

[​IMG]
    William Orpen: The Butte de Warlencourt

• Like Like x 2
  10. Search Our Collections for "gassed" | Imperial War Museums

All online.

Edit Gassed is on tour of North America before going to IWN North in 2018.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. The best of these capture more than a photo ever can, thanks for the link

• Like Like x 1
  12. Excellent link - outstanding images, even on a 5" handheld screen.

13. Stunning works