The art of 'buring-down' new boots?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by straptastic, Apr 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, so you get some new George boots fresh out of the box. Naturally they look a hell of alot better once burnt down. Unfortuantely, it costs some hard earnt cash for the equipment repairer to use his Army time sorting out your footwear.

So I'd quite like to try myself. I know I need to pack out the boots with sand then don the blow torch and open a can of beeswax, I think.

Would someone detail to me the exact procedure for burning-down boots at home. I.e. tools / materials required, and each step of the process.

Ever in your debt.

2. Get a boy to do it.

And you missed an "n" out of your title.

Thats all I have to say about that.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Get then to the cobbler at Sandhurst- about £25 and he'll get them bulled up too

Oops spelt 'them' wrong, sorry dale.

4. And you missed a full stop off the end. Call yourself a QMan????

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh my God, take 4 extras!

6. Sort yourself out man!!!!! Double away!!!

7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

How in the name of the Holy Rubber Goat did you get to the stage of owning a pair of George boots without knowing how to bull a pair of boots?

8. You can't beat polish to bull boots, put enough on and it will smooth out all on it's own! bit of time and effort is all it takes! :D

9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Then it cracks all over the place reducing you to tears :D

10. ...and it's all the CSgt can do to stop himself laughing at you, having made you sit through more hours on bulling parade than you get to sleep for...

11. Bulling boots - 21st century warfare at its finest. At the risk of giving any guardsmen reading a coronary surely we should be able to be smart without wasting so much time on an essentially pointless activity. Maybe then we could spend more time on activities likely to be encountered on active service.

And I'd also replace most of the time we spend these days on "marching up and down the parade square" with drills that are actually of use - ie ones we use in the field. It's not the 1800's and foot drill doesn't win battles any more.

12. Are you actually in the Army?

13. TA actually, mobilised for Veritas and extended to cover Telic. Now, what's your point ? Is 19th century foot drill still relevant to the 21st century ?

14. Do you know why we do drill?
    Perhaps some drill instructor type could put into correct terminology the aims of drill for the good STAB here.
    something along the lines of:
    'Drill is any smart, timed, military action which is used to standardise the movement of men or operation of equipment.' that sort of thing.

15. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Builds esprit de corps, melds men into a team, stops them going to the NAAFI by making them apply the secretions from a bee's bum to a pair of boots with a stolen tea spoon as well as giving the monkeys something to find and charge you with under "improper possession".