The Art& Making of Fantasy Minatures

The Art& Making of Fantasy Minatures

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you want a good book on making and painting fantasy figures, do not under any circumstances buy this book. It is basically a £30 advert/catalogue for various games and figure producers. It has nothing about building or painting figures which the title implies. It has some nice pictures of finished figures and that's why it gets half a mushroom head. A very disappointing book and vastly over priced is my view of it.

Click here to read the full review.....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@Helm, is it possible that the book is not so much about modelling but about the artistic viewpoint of miniatures showing them as they are rather than the actual making of the models? As a piece of art, how does the book come across to you?

I realise that the title seems to be somewhat misleading to put it lightly.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Helm, is it possible that the book is not so much about modelling but about the artistic viewpoint of miniatures showing them as they are rather than the actual making of the models? As a piece of art, how does the book come across to you?

I realise that the title seems to be somewhat misleading to put it lightly.
It's, I think, supposed to be about the progression from concept to finished figure, but there's no real sense of it other than the artist saying " I got the idea and did this" but it's as I said mainly advertising. The art is nice but nothing exceptional. It's like a collection of White Dwarf articles made into a book.
Edit
I've added the last bit to the review.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks

It's, I think, supposed to be about the progression from concept to finished figure, but there's no real sense of it other than the artist saying " I got the idea and did this" but it's as I said mainly advertising. The art is nice but nothing exceptional. It's like a collection of White Dwarf articles made into a book.
Edit
I've added the last bit to the review.
It makes a change that GW can't really be blamed for this, as it is published by Pen and Sword.

Latest Threads