The Arrse Twitchers thread

They are early! Here in Dorset it's usually Mid-september before they start to group together for the long winter holidays.
They're still fattening themselves here in Devon.
I looked back through this thread and it’s about the same time here for the past 3 years, your Dorset climate must be just that bit kinder to them.
Slight drift. Watched a documentary a few years ago. It was comparing the lives of red deer on Exmoor to those in the Highlands. Whereas on Exmoor the hinds came into season after 15/18 months, in the Highlands it was 3 years! Drift over.

You might find that some from further oop North rest in Dorset and take on extra food before continuing on.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They are congregating here in the Highlands. Not nearly as many as last year. There are a lot of failed nests round this way due to the late frosts this year.
I'm sure I will see them as they rest here before the big flight. You see the numbers grow and grow then suddenly they're gone. I imagine they catch up with news, gossip and stories from the wider family as they fill the wires at Kimmeridge, Osmington, Ringstead, etc.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You might find that some from further oop North rest in Dorset and take on extra food before continuing on.
That's exactly what I think is happening.

Does this make us Gilbert White Walts?

Been a good year here on the east coast of Scotland still have nests fledging at the moment , generaly the majority leave mid september onwards some stay till mid October, have counted 63 ish on the steading roof and more on the wing.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We had an odd experience last evening on the way home. Driving along the unlit lane to our village, we saw a something sitting in the middle of the paved road. Had to stop to avoid smooshing it.

It was a tawny owl. Just sitting in the road, looking around as if it owned the place. After a couple of minutes watching and being amazed at its range of neck movement - all the books can't describe how it rotates - I opened the car door. At which it flew off.

A beautiful but weird experience at 0100!

Could it have been listening for prey in the verges? Why not do that in the hover?

We had an odd experience last evening on the way home. Driving along the unlit lane to our village, we saw a something sitting in the middle of the paved road. Had to stop to avoid smooshing it.

It was a tawny owl. Just sitting in the road, looking around as if it owned the place. After a couple of minutes watching and being amazed at its range of neck movement - all the books can't describe how it rotates - I opened the car door. At which it flew off.

A beautiful but weird experience at 0100!

Could it have been listening for prey in the verges? Why not do that in the hover?
Tawnies don't really hover. Might have been something close by

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Tawnies don't really hover. Might have been something close by
Thanks. I usually hear them flying around twit-twooing between 3 and 5 am but never seen one hunting.

I have been sent to bed ( had episode) so ginger cat and myself are bird watching, swallows of course but a few wrens about,and a buzzard working over the lower fields for best entertainment the young blackbirds raking for worms by the compost bins.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have been sent to bed ( had episode) so ginger cat and myself are bird watching, swallows of course but a few wrens about,and a buzzard working over the lower fields for best entertainment the young blackbirds raking for worms by the compost bins.
Best place for you. Enjoy the rest.

Swallow Rep, unfortunately couldn’t get a photo when they were on the phone lines but our gathering must be reaching its critical mass as there were >100 birds lined up this morning all took flight as I got my phone out, this is the largest gathering I have ever seen here.

Whether they take the opportunity to commence their migration with the expected good weather next week or stay and fatten up before departure I will just have to wait and see, I always feel that their departure heralds the start of autumn, their presence being missed.

However the Starlings are starting to regroup and soon I will be able to witness them as they depart from their roost site in search of food each morning, on a good day their flock is hundreds of yards wide and it takes them a couple of minutes to pass me. My aim is to get a picture but only having a phone camera rather reduces my chances of anything worthwhile.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210912_160309.jpg

Swallows resting in Stromness

Well I learned something today. I meet a bloke on the seafront occasionally who is a real expert, he does the British Trust for Ornithology surveys for our area. He was about this morning and we got talking about wagtails. The most common in the UK is the pied wagtail:-

Pied wagtail

Over the past few years I've been seeing rather paler examples that I took to be white wagtails, then decided I was imagining things and they were juveniles. However, it turns out I was right and they are the white version:-

Focus on: White Wagtail - BirdGuides

Which are commoner on the Continent. Despite Brexit these foreigners continue to enter the country without permission. Disgraceful.....

Well I learned something today. I meet a bloke on the seafront occasionally who is a real expert, he does the British Trust for Ornithology surveys for our area. He was about this morning and we got talking about wagtails. The most common in the UK is the pied wagtail:-

Pied wagtail

Over the past few years I've been seeing rather paler examples that I took to be white wagtails, then decided I was imagining things and they were juveniles. However, it turns out I was right and they are the white version:-

View attachment 605510

Which are commoner on the Continent. Despite Brexit these foreigners continue to enter the country without permission. Disgraceful.....

Loads of them round our way.