Waldeck

Old-Salt

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Lucy, black and white.

_BOB9075b.jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
thanks for all the replies to my original query re what camera to buy for a novice photographer and beginner twitcher. Don't laugh but i have an old Fuji and it take some fine pix (as the name suggests), just want something a bit ... better - more zoom, faster to focus and adjust settings. Seems like my Fuji takes forever to set up, focus and then when i take a pic forever to allow me take the next pic.

anyway, in answer to couple of replies:

I would like to take the camera out and about round the country, back garden and in the local park and hopefully abroad when we are next allowed to travel to foreign climes

I am a novice photographer but i would like to learn more about the skills involved, so probably a middle of the road camera that i can use but also learn from at the same time.

I have looked at MPB and there a million and one things to look at. Looking at the Nikon as recommended or maybe one of the Canons - so many to choose from, but by the sounds of it a good lens is the thing. Are lens generic across most if not all cameras these days, or are there some specific to camera makes?

i would have a budget of about £5 - 600 but could maybe stretch a bit more if necessary.

thanks for reading and all the advice so far.

Just a bit of advice from an old fart. Don't depend on the reach of the lens to get your photos. Practice getting closer to the subject, even if you scare them away a few (many) times. This method does have its dangers though!!!! also its funny side once you stopped being pissed off at your self. I once saw this Bald Eagle up a tree a good distance away and decided to get closer. After sneaking through brush, muddy bog and thorns for 1/2 an hour, I got to within striking distance only to find it was a black plastic bag blowing in the wind. If it had been an eagle it would have seen me leaving my house 15 miles away.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's the time of year when swifts,swallows and martins are arriving back in the UK. I haven't spotted any yet but I'm sure a few are gliding into Devon and Cornwall by now?

1618354286011.png

Swallow thing

Just a bit of advice from an old fart. Don't depend on the reach of the lens to get your photos. Practice getting closer to the subject, even if you scare them away a few (many) times. This method does have its dangers though!!!! also its funny side once you stopped being pissed off at your self. I once saw this Bald Eagle up a tree a good distance away and decided to get closer. After sneaking through brush, muddy bog and thorns for 1/2 an hour, I got to within striking distance only to find it was a black plastic bag blowing in the wind. If it had been an eagle it would have seen me leaving my house 15 miles away.
Have spent many hours in a Ghillie suit in a ditch waiting for Hares, Foxes or Badgers and spent 4 hours waiting for Goldfinches to land on teasels I had baited, had the hide set up for a week so they were used to it...nothing. Soon as I left they were swamped with them.

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Have spent many hours in a Ghillie suit in a ditch waiting for Hares, Foxes or Badgers and spent 4 hours waiting for Goldfinches to land on teasels I had baited, had the hide set up for a week so they were used to it...nothing. Soon as I left they were swamped with them.

Yes you have to be dedicated to the cause. I had this 1 man hide made of cam canvas stuff. 2 of us decided to use it to get photos of a couple of eagles that used a spot to fish at first light. Both being a bit on the large side things were a bit cramped in there and smelly, but it wasn't me officer. Up comes the light and sure enough the 2 eagles sitting there waiting for breakfast. In the fight to get the best shot we ended up in a big heap on the ground trying to extract our selves from the mess. One of the eagles, the female was still there looking straight at us like we where a couple of idiots, which we were. I got a few photos of her fishing, I'll post a couple of them. I tend to go out by myself now.

_BOB9731a.jpg
_BOB9724a.jpg

It's the time of year when swifts,swallows and martins are arriving back in the UK. I haven't spotted any yet but I'm sure a few are gliding into Devon and Cornwall by now?

View attachment 565106

Swallow thing
Was at Brockholes nature reserve here in Preston the other week and there were several hundred over the water as well as sand martens. Felt sorry for them as it was Baltic out!
Also, the ospreys are back at Foulshaw and have laid at least one egg so far - Osprey cam | Cumbria Wildlife Trust

anglo

LE
thanks for all the replies to my original query re what camera to buy for a novice photographer and beginner twitcher. Don't laugh but i have an old Fuji and it take some fine pix (as the name suggests), just want something a bit ... better - more zoom, faster to focus and adjust settings. Seems like my Fuji takes forever to set up, focus and then when i take a pic forever to allow me take the next pic.

anyway, in answer to couple of replies:

I would like to take the camera out and about round the country, back garden and in the local park and hopefully abroad when we are next allowed to travel to foreign climes

I am a novice photographer but i would like to learn more about the skills involved, so probably a middle of the road camera that i can use but also learn from at the same time.

I have looked at MPB and there a million and one things to look at. Looking at the Nikon as recommended or maybe one of the Canons - so many to choose from, but by the sounds of it a good lens is the thing. Are lens generic across most if not all cameras these days, or are there some specific to camera makes?

i would have a budget of about £5 - 600 but could maybe stretch a bit more if necessary.

thanks for reading and all the advice so far.
I am using a Panasonic TZ70, you can look back at my photos on here, to get an idea what it's like,
easy to handle as it's a compact, X30 zoom, it has its limitations, but then all cameras have.

Edit, if you want a camera to carry around with you all the time, the TZ70
will fit into your pocket,

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
As many will know, White-Tailed Sea Eagles have been re-introduced in a bid to terrify prisoners escaping from Parkhurst on Britain's top-secret gulag*, the mist-shrouded and sinister Isle of so-called Wight .

Only, they don't seem inclined to 'keep it local'

1618434000172.png

Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation

3 h ·
White-tailed Eagle G405 has returned to the Isle of Wight after a return trip to Scotland, while G463 has reached the River Elbe in northern Germany.
We take a closer look at these amazing journeys in more detail in our latest blog: https://roydennis.org/2021/04/14/crossing-the-channel/

*[ Sinister Gulag ? Are we sure ? Shome mishtake shurely ? Shanklin Pleasure Gardens and Colonel Bogie's? The Tea Shoppe in East Cowes? Please speak.Ed ]

Waldeck

Old-Salt
As many will know, White-Tailed Sea Eagles have been re-introduced in a bid to terrify prisoners escaping from Parkhurst on Britain's top-secret gulag*, the mist-shrouded and sinister Isle of so-called Wight .

Only, they don't seem inclined to 'keep it local'

View attachment 565333

Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation

3 h ·
White-tailed Eagle G405 has returned to the Isle of Wight after a return trip to Scotland, while G463 has reached the River Elbe in northern Germany.
We take a closer look at these amazing journeys in more detail in our latest blog: https://roydennis.org/2021/04/14/crossing-the-channel/

*[ Sinister Gulag ? Are we sure ? Shome mishtake shurely ? Shanklin Pleasure Gardens and Colonel Bogie's? The Tea Shoppe in East Cowes? Please speak.Ed ]

Well cool. Amazing how they can track them, or do they phone home :D

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
RFID rings at a guess

1618438815334.png

G274 and G324 have spent most of the past month together on the Isle of Wight (photo by Ainsley Bennett)

From the Blog linked above :

In contrast all of the 2020 birds continue to explore extensively. G461 has ranged along the whole of the South Coast from Kent to Cornwall in the past month, while female G466 has travelled west to Cornwall, completed a circuit of East Anglia and, most recently, was flying north through County Durham this morning. G471, meanwhile, has spent the majority of the past month in East Anglia, favouring the North Norfolk coast and also the Ouse Washes in Cambridgeshire, but then flew south-west today and was heading into Herefordshire at 17:00. G408 has generally remained more local, but visited the Somerset coast near Burnham-on-Sea on 4th April and has also spent prolonged periods in the Arun valley in West Sussex where he has been joined, on occasions, by 2019 male G393. These movements are typical of young White-tailed Eagles during their second calendar year, but the satellite transmitters are providing a fascinating insight into their daily explorations. It has also been excellent to hear about sightings of the birds on their travels – very many thanks to everyone who has been in touch and sent photos.
1618439234238.png

As a generalist predator, White-tailed Eagles have a varied diet that includes fish (photo by Mike Crutch).

Can you help us?

Satellite tracking is a key element of the project, and as such, a core cost that we have to cover. Donations of any amount make a big difference, and so if you are able to make a contribution, please click the donate button below and select White-tailed Eagle project when prompted. Any donations, no matter how small, are very gratefully received. The Foundation relies on the generosity of our supporters to carry out our various projects. If you like what we can do, please click here to find out how your support can help us.

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
RFID rings at a guess

View attachment 565352
G274 and G324 have spent most of the past month together on the Isle of Wight (photo by Ainsley Bennett)

From the Blog linked above :

View attachment 565356
As a generalist predator, White-tailed Eagles have a varied diet that includes fish (photo by Mike Crutch).

Can you help us?

Satellite tracking is a key element of the project, and as such, a core cost that we have to cover. Donations of any amount make a big difference, and so if you are able to make a contribution, please click the donate button below and select White-tailed Eagle project when prompted. Any donations, no matter how small, are very gratefully received. The Foundation relies on the generosity of our supporters to carry out our various projects. If you like what we can do, please click here to find out how your support can help us.
Just shows how out of touch I am. Looked them up, you can get them on Amazon, Cheap!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I suspect its the Satellite downlink that costs the big bucks :)

Turns out the RSPB has been using satellite tracking tech since at least 2008 :-

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nom nom....great shot ! Very nice in a stew, tastes better than chicken....

Where were you stood to get that ?

Oh poop, was thinking of attaching one to the dog.

Garmin make a dog collar with a tracker fitted: GPS Dog Trackers | Dog Containment | Garmin

( I spent a short while packing them in the Garmin factory hereabouts ! Times was 'ard man .....)

Last edited:

Latest Threads