The Arrse Twitchers thread

anglo

LE
A low flying bird.

P1640993.JPG

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Always wanted to photograph hummingbirds, unfortunately never had the opportunity
They are common in the US in most states, more so in states near Mexico as they migrate south down through central America. Not Sure about the UK, but if they are around they will sniff out sugar water. Put sugar in hot water and shake or stir (007) and let cool. Best in a feeder but a saucer will do, watch for ants and use fast lenses.

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Lovely images. Welcome to ARRSE, looking forward to more images
Thanks Anglo, I have loads, its nice to put them out there. I took early retirement and needed some thing to do, well the wife needed me have some thing to do!

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Always wanted to photograph hummingbirds, unfortunately never had the opportunity
Used to see plenty in Louisiana but they were the sort that are very small and emerald green. Like little jewels, loved it when they came onto the feeder - which was some sort of liquid. Hope you get to photograph some soon chap...

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Sorry if anyone likes mice as this one was used as baits for the photo. The background was also enhanced a bit to remove stuff. Not sure what kind of owl it is, suppose I should have looked it up.

BOB_4843a.jpg
BOB_4845a.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Taken at Conowingo Dam, Maryland. The dam would open up about 6am for when people woke up and put on the coffee pot, electric tooth brush etc. As fish went through the turbines they would be stunned (no kidding)! and the eagles would be waiting. You can just see the fish on the top of the water, this image has been reduced to upload it. The first eagle in is about 4 1/2 years old, still has a bit of juvenile feathers under the wing and on tail, he will pick up the fish. The adult behind she will try and steal the fish off him and the juvenile behind her will pick up the pieces.
_BOB0105.jpg

In this photo the fish is easier to see.

_BOB0209a.jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
These are the fish they are catching, not sure what kind they are?

BOB7273-web.jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
I know this is in the wrong thread, but in my defense my ARRSE was a Twitching at the time and also I was not sure were to put it, the photos that is. If you move it please let me know where as I have other Fury Friend Fhotos looking to see the light of day.

Helping a guy with a job, part of the payment was that he showed me a couple of good wild life locations. Once the job was finished and after a couple of beers and a burger we were off to the secret places in his old pick up that was well past it use by date. Couple of problem's with it being it would over heat if you were doing less than 25mph and the passenger window button was a bit dicky.

At the first place we meet this guy, stopped lowered the passenger window and started clicking away. After a while he got up and wandered over to say hello. Now would be a good time to start the engine I tells the chauffeur, but the engine decided it was not the right time. After carming him down a bit I got him to leave the ignition on and after a few blood making bangs on the window button got the window up.

By the time we got the engine started the Bear had got bored and wandered off, probable to scare the shite out of some other stupid basta*d. I drive an old basic jeep wrangler with hand cranked windows. I was thinking of upgrading it to electric windows, but decided after this that the mechanical windows were just fine and it was worth the extra effort to use hand power.

BOB_8526a.jpg
BOB_8563a.jpg

Last image before got the window up, 400mm slightly cropped square.

BOB_8567a.jpg

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Hey some guy just planted that dead tree.

_BOB0126a.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
As well as the Blackbirds and a Robin that took a long while to suss that me whistling the Blackbirds meant there were Mealworms in the offing (he's got it so well now he appears whenever you approach the patio door) we have Crows nesting in our Scots Pine.
They are at the level of the back bedroom window and looking out of it you get an angry stare back. Going into the back garden results in being shouted cawed at from the top of the tree. I'll try to get some photos of them, but unless I can capture them coming or going, it's likely to be just the head or arrse as the nest is quite deep and the branches are in the way.

On a whim, I've bought a Pan/Tilt/Zoom camera with 20x optical zoom and have put it on our back wall overlooking the action.
After an argument with the Missus over its siting; followed by a check on the gov.uk website regarding overlook, which resulted in me having to admit I was wrong in my f'k 'em attitude. My direct neighbours were OK about it but we have a bloke over the back who accused a previous neighbour of being a paedo for taking photos of his own fishpond out of his back window. We don't talk to 'Budda', the fat bustard, but he was likely to moan.
The upshot is that it isn't in the ideal spot to get the Crows nest, but does the biz on the rest, I can even use it to check my 20m target stand, which I won't be using during nesting.

The most boring, non bird containing screen capture of the CCTV showing the location of the nest. A Crow may or may not be in situ!
IMG_20210411_122227.jpg

Waldeck

Old-Salt
Found this old Blue in a drainage ditch not far from my house (had to go back for the camera). It was a very cold autumn day, the older and the colder they are the easier they are to approach, have picked up a few and they are surprisingly light to take them to a wild life center for help. Blues, Egrets and Tundra Swans get in the most trouble, just put your Tee shirt over their heads and they fold up (maybe its the under arm smell). Don't think I would try it with a Mute Swan though, remember seeing my friend being chased by one trying to hold on to his camera gear with the swan up his ARRSE. For a big lad he moved at a fair lick.

_BOB1609 (2).jpg
_BOB1055 (2).jpg
_BOB1549 (2).jpg

spoolerdog

Old-Salt
Where do you intend to photograph, garden, nature reserve, local park? The camera is the tool, i would start with a basic DSLR or mirrorless and spend the money on a really good lens in the 300-400mm range, or look at the Sigma 150-600mm zoom. Look at MPB as there are some real good 2nd bargains to be had
thanks for all the replies to my original query re what camera to buy for a novice photographer and beginner twitcher. Don't laugh but i have an old Fuji and it take some fine pix (as the name suggests), just want something a bit ... better - more zoom, faster to focus and adjust settings. Seems like my Fuji takes forever to set up, focus and then when i take a pic forever to allow me take the next pic.

anyway, in answer to couple of replies:

I would like to take the camera out and about round the country, back garden and in the local park and hopefully abroad when we are next allowed to travel to foreign climes

I am a novice photographer but i would like to learn more about the skills involved, so probably a middle of the road camera that i can use but also learn from at the same time.

I have looked at MPB and there a million and one things to look at. Looking at the Nikon as recommended or maybe one of the Canons - so many to choose from, but by the sounds of it a good lens is the thing. Are lens generic across most if not all cameras these days, or are there some specific to camera makes?

i would have a budget of about £5 - 600 but could maybe stretch a bit more if necessary.

thanks for reading and all the advice so far.

Waldeck

Old-Salt
thanks for all the replies to my original query re what camera to buy for a novice photographer and beginner twitcher. Don't laugh but i have an old Fuji and it take some fine pix (as the name suggests), just want something a bit ... better - more zoom, faster to focus and adjust settings. Seems like my Fuji takes forever to set up, focus and then when i take a pic forever to allow me take the next pic.

I would like to take the camera out and about round the country, back garden and in the local park and hopefully abroad when we are next allowed to travel to foreign climes

I am a novice photographer but i would like to learn more about the skills involved, so probably a middle of the road camera that i can use but also learn from at the same time.

I have looked at MPB and there a million and one things to look at. Looking at the Nikon as recommended or maybe one of the Canons - so many to choose from, but by the sounds of it a good lens is the thing. Are lens generic across most if not all cameras these days, or are there some specific to camera makes?

i would have a budget of about £5 - 600 but could maybe stretch a bit more if necessary.

The camera body is just a box with a hole in it and now has a lot of electrical wissy bits. The lens is the thing to put your money into, you can always upgrade the camera later. Canon lenses are a lot lighter and cheaper for the same quality as a Nikon, it's to do with the type of glass they use. For birds a fast lense is what you want for in flight photo's and yes they cost more.

A very good book to get on lenses is; EF Lens Work, The Eyes of EOS by Canon. Mine is a 3rd addition, I did have an original but gave it to my daughter. Not sure if they are still in print, if not you may get a used one on Ebay or Amazon. Well worth the money. For what it's worth I have a Nikon set up. One issue you may run into with a DSLR is you may have to clean the sensor. It's the bits that drop off the shutter curtain, with a film camera it would just blow away when you opened the film back.

Lenses are where to spend your money, the below would give you a good start with the money invested in the glass

Camera: Used Canon EOS 4000D

Lens: Used Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM, Canon EF Fit - mpb.com

That lens is really good and I use mine a lot, also gives a good range on that camera.

Latest Threads