The Arrse Twitchers thread

One of the fledged blue tits came for a feed and wasn't at all fazed at me getting close enough (about 1 foot) for a good shot:

Baby blue tit resized.jpg

Incubated four eggs one came through (the only one others were dud)early Friday night. 36hours later he's a randy little sod!

IMG_20200531_152015_compress40.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
We’ve got magpies conducting sustained warfare on all the nesting birds at the moment. I know they’ve got to live and it’s nature and all that, and that garden birds have several broods and several chicks per brood to compensate, but I still dislike the magpies. Can’t help it. They are handsome bastards though.
Your local cat population kills far more songbirds in a day than a pair of nesting magpies will in a week.

The anti-magpie brigade are led by people who like to kill hand reared pheasants for sport.

Your local cat population kills far more songbirds in a day than a pair of nesting magpies will in a week.

The anti-magpie brigade are led by people who like to kill hand reared pheasants for sport.
It's interesting you say that. People who know me will tell you that my garden is well covered by wildlife cameras, I like having creatures in my garden, and I like to see what they get up to.

This year alone magpies have had three sparrow chicks, a blue tit chick and a robin chick. Jackdaws have had a blue tit and a dunnock chick. There are three cats that frequent my garden, none have been recorded taking a bird.

I fecking hate cats.

And I don’t shoot.

If I took up shooting it would be magpies and cats that would get it.

wheel

LE
It's interesting you say that. People who know me will tell you that my garden is well covered by wildlife cameras, I like having creatures in my garden, and I like to see what they get up to.

This year alone magpies have had three sparrow chicks, a blue tit chick and a robin chick. Jackdaws have had a blue tit and a dunnock chick. There are three cats that frequent my garden, none have been recorded taking a bird.
Is your cat still hanging on in there ?. Must be older than you :)

Young Song Thrush?......I know nothing.
2020-06-09 010 (1).jpg

Is your cat still hanging on in there ?. Must be older than you :)
Sadly not mate, had to have her euthanised back in February.

We managed 5 nuthatches on one of our feeders simultaneously yesterday. Hopefully, their speed and skittishness will save them from the neighbourhood cats, which are having a field day with newly-fledged tits and finches in our area the last couple of weeks. We're also overrun with magpies, which I've seen attack a full-grown dunnock here last summer, so who knows how many chicks they've also taken.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
This pic was published on the Hampshire Swifts page - not my photo.

' Cock sparrow in Xanax rage goes off on one'
1592833797529.png

1593107255563.png

Spotted Flycatcher has taken up residence in an empty Insect and bee box in my garden. She has four eggs and they should hatch out in less than two weeks, 13day average. I have my doubts as to their viability as she spends a long time off the nest. I will try to get a good picture of the eggs sometime soon. The camera is a RSPB nest box camera that I attached to the front top of the box yesterday, She doesn't seem to mind.

Latest Threads