The Arrse Twitchers thread

Not really , well it is actually.
with this lock down seeing more and more songbirds and less Magpies.

Just saw a black cap attacking the mirror in the garden as bats fly in the light of the setting sun.

Great to see.

First swallow of the season, Easterton N edge of Salisbury Plain, only one seen so far.
1586249366724.jpeg

ETA, 7 days earlier than last year but on the same electrical connection.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Somebody posted a pic of one over near Lymington in Another Place. Local Phot Natasha Weyers has also posted hearing a Cuckoo locally as well, just today.

Meanwhile check this from New Forest photographer Martin Bennett.

He has captioned it - any guesses what this bird is?

1586458486297.png

I’d guess a Dartford Warbler (size, shape and eye) but do they have that colouration on their chest/front?

ETA just looked it up - yes, they do

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Plainly this test was too easy..yep that's what Martin reckoned too.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
Just saw the first hummingbird of the season. We usually get the ruby throated ones.

1586630811803.png
\

(stock image)

Caught my first glimpse of the year of a house martin/swallow in mid-Walesshire. Couldn't tell which as it was too far away and only in sight for a few moments.

Lots of bluetits and dunnocks about plus the pigeon keeps coming back.

A few birds a bit bigger than bluetits; similar colouring but without the blue mohican look I think are great tits (wink wink nudge nudge).

Oh, the magpie came back yesterday. Looked me straight in the eyes, shat on my fence, nicked a big lump of bird food and flew away. Rude bugger.

Lots of bluetits and dunnocks about plus the pigeon keeps coming back.

A few birds a bit bigger than bluetits; similar colouring but without the blue mohican look I think are great tits (wink wink nudge nudge).

Oh, the magpie came back yesterday. Looked me straight in the eyes, shat on my fence, nicked a big lump of bird food and flew away. Rude bugger.
We're humbled to have an ornithological expert in our midst ;)

We're humbled to have an ornithological expert in our midst ;)
I believe I have previously stated my complete lack of bird recognition. Apart from the pigeon and magpie all of that has been helpfully supplied by people on this thread.

I can also identify chickens, mallards and penguins but so far they haven't turned up :)

I believe I have previously stated my complete lack of bird recognition. Apart from the pigeon and magpie all of that has been helpfully supplied by people on this thread.

I can also identify chickens, mallards and penguins but so far they haven't turned up :)
I remember you saying, hence the winky thing at the end of my post to indicate tonguing of one's cheek.

Like many, I´ve got time on my hands, a pair of binolulars and a nice view so just started taking notice of what´s around me. Saw this fellow the other day. Just a common Blue Tit but gave gave me a lot of pleasure.

21-facts-on-blue-tit-i1.jpg

I know as much about twitching as I know about Saturn V giroscopes it seems.
Two years back, I bought a corking wee bird-house, and mounted it on a 5ft thin plank, which was then screwed under a large pine tree in the garden away from the general populace. It's high...probably about 10 feet up, and I made sure the entrance was away from the usual prevailing wind. Nor do we have any feral cats etc.
Perfect? No. It's never been occupied despite SWMBO turning our garden into Bath & Bird Feed City, which is very popular. No idea why. I'd have thought wayfaring immigrants would have snapped it up.

We've got a nest box with wifi camera mounted on the northern-facing wall of the house, a blue tit roosted in it over winter, and then there were two when nest-building started. We were dismayed to see that there was only one the last few nights. We're hoping the male has left the female to begin laying, but having seen, and heard, a rather distressed blue tit singing around the garden we suspect the worst has happened.

wheel

LE
When/if our House Martins return they are going to be pissed off as Sparrows have taken up residence in their digs. We have a pair of Robins nesting in the garden . Seth our Lurcher is keeping the maggies away from them.