The Arrse Twitchers thread

View attachment 430739

You know it makes sense . . .
Yes, but the problem is that unless I was employing plunging fire from the bedroom windows upstairs, the risk of collateral damage (to neighbourhood children playing in the easement behind us, or the homes opposite it) is too much of a risk.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyone know of a non-fatal way of getting rid of magpies without also scaring off the other birds? We're infested with magpies here (gatherings into double figures) and recently had 3 of the buggers attacking a dunnock in the backyard.
Larsen Trap?

Yes, but the problem is that unless I was employing plunging fire from the bedroom windows upstairs, the risk of collateral damage (to neighbourhood children playing in the easement behind us, or the homes opposite it) is too much of a risk.
Your community responsibility is to be applauded: fortunately, I live in a 3-floor upside down house (lounge, dining room and kitchen on the upper most floor).

This arrangement allows me to catch the cackling Maggies from out of the sun-the only thing I have to careful of is putting one through the shed window.

Again.

Field Firing Area.jpg

Your community responsibility is to be applauded: fortunately, I live in a 3-floor upside down house (lounge, dining room and kitchen on the upper most floor).

This arrangement allows me to catch the cackling Maggies from out of the sun-the only thing I have to careful of is putting one through the shed window.

Again.

View attachment 430742
No community responsibility - concern over litigation.

The Starlings are arriving in numbers, there is a roost site is near Redhorn Hill, Urchfont. This morning I spotted a group on the ground feeding, after a short period they all take flight, moving a few hundred yards before landing again. Whilst they are on the ground there is a cacophony of tweeting which ceases the moment they lift off as if they have a RSM issuing orders.

I attempted to take some pictures but it is difficult to get close enough to depict the scene well, apologies therefore. for the quality, I hope they give an idea of the mass and movement.

On the Ground
Birds1.jpg

Taking Flight
Birds2.jpg

Well aflight
Birds3.jpg

Think by law if you live catch them you have to then off them .....same with tree rats
A silenced .177 air rifle is looking more and more like the only reasonable solution.

It's certainly the best solution .....
The relocating idea made me smile,
A few years ago some friends had way too many Mallards on their pond , they cause mayhem and undermine the banks etc . This was a large pond some 100m x 60m .
A plan was hatched and 25 or so Mallards captured , put in the back of a vehicle and taken for an hour or so drive to another friend ponds and released seemigly happily onto the pond . Congratulatory cup of tea consumed and they headed home.....
You've guessed it......the buggers had beaten them home . To add to the story the friends are both very good shots and have their own farm and shoot but like many farmers couldn't bring them selves to shoot the ducks that had grown up on their garden pond :)
We have a similar size pond with a constant population of 20 or so Mallards that are tame to the extent they come to the door shouting to be fed in the morning and evening but are free to fly and have all been hatched or grown up in the garden .....they make a little mess but we have very few slugs .

Had a great afternoon at Leighton Moss on Sunday. Arrived quite late to full car parks, but everyone seemed to be headed back as we were making our way around. Not much wildfowl due to the lagoons being frozen, but woodland birds aplenty and being very obliging if you put food down.
Very friendly marsh tits and a very visible water rail made for a great afternoon and the marsh harriers made an appearance at the end of the day. No murmeration, although we did have a flock of several thousand starlings fly over only to settle in the trees on the north side.
Just got back to the car before they locked the car park!

mt1.JPG
rail1.JPG
robin.JPG
rail2.JPG

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
How can you tell a marsh tit from a willow tit? I have always struggled with that.

How can you tell a marsh tit from a willow tit? I have always struggled with that.
Careful, girl-you're on dangerous ground, there. :cool:

So closely related as to not make much difference:

The easiest way is that marsh tits have a smaller, but neater 'beard'.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The easiest way is that marsh tits have a smaller, but neater 'beard'.
But if you don't have an adjacent willow tit for comparison, how do you decide?

But if you don't have an adjacent willow tit for comparison, how do you decide?
They just...are. The guide in the page that was linked to previously shows you how to tell the difference, but you just begin to know what you are looking at especially as they are very easy to spot at Leighton.
It's a bit like a car enthusiast who can tell different car variants just by a quick glance at things like radiator grill bolts.
And they get upset if you're caught grasping two similar looking birds in each hand whilst making 'Hmmm?' noises.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
They just...are. The guide in the page that was linked to previously shows you how to tell the difference, but you just begin to know what you are looking at especially as they are very easy to spot at Leighton.
It's a bit like a car enthusiast who can tell different car variants just by a quick glance at things like radiator grill bolts.
And they get upset if you're caught grasping two similar looking birds in each hand whilst making 'Hmmm?' noises.
Sounds like hubby and his ability to tell me whether it's a Lynx 7 or a Lynx 9. ;-)

More on the Starlings
Starlings1.jpg

when walking the dogs this morning I ended up walking through the Starling flock, it was a very strange place to be surrounded by thousands of birds. I tried getting some photos but the constant movement of the flock confused the auto focus hence crap photos. I did get a bit of video but have no idea how to show it here, it is on my hard drive anyone any clues?

Latest Threads