The Arrse Twitchers thread

Pied Wagtail.

pi.PNG

Vicious little buggers. Serious little scrappers.

From a short video I have.

These ones come and go. This one is quite big. Is it female? Pregnant? Fat? Usually they are a bit slimmer. Very striking birds, especially in the snow, which I have some footage of.

Sometimes you even see two of them at the same time. I did about a month or two ago iirc.

I've got shots of a few birds that I have no idea what they are though. Video, rather. I'll get around to it.

I enjoyed watching a pair of Turtle Doves on a telegraph wire for about 20 minutes. I was amazed they didn't move. Maybe a little bit, but they were there a good while. I was sighting the Red-Dot Finder on my Telescope and was checking out one of my new Eyepieces. Got a great view of them. It was upside down of course as it's a reflector and I don't have a angle viewer on it. But it opened up a whole new world apart from the stars.

I may need to get a half-decent smaller scope just for this.

EDIT: Forgot to say, some seriously impressive photos btw.

Was on a walk by the Lancaster Canal at Haslam Park in Preston this afternoon.
Saw a large fish jump out fo the water about 20m in front of us, by the time we got level with where it had jumped a cormorant popped up about 10m further up with a large fish in its beak.

cormpike.jpg

It had caught a pike and must have been a hell of a battle underwater. The thing is, we hadn't seen the cormorant until it had surfaced so must have been hunting underwater for quite some time!
I didn't get a pic of it eating it as it did it so bloody quickly I didn't have time to raise my camera :(
Got one about half a second later though.

cormpike2.JPG

Pics were slightly out of focus due to the water playing havoc with the lens.

Wren grabbing stuff for its nest. I assume it's a wren.

Sorry for the image quality. Again, it's from a video.

They are very camouflaged. Very fast and agile. A fighter jet compared to the bomber Crow.

The way they nip and tuck in to the hedgerows is something else. Bigger birds just can't get at them. Robins aren't much bigger but they always seem to be picking fights. These lads just get in and get out and don't mess about.

I've not seen one picking up stuff to build a nest before. When I got my hair cut we put it down in the garden. It was gone a few hours later. Would be nice to think it was keeping some baby birds warm.

Bull Finches ? ,(M and F) Pennington Flash,couple of days ago.
2019-03-22 020 (1).jpg
2019-03-22 022 (1).jpg

Saw a goldcrest at Cosmeston Country park yesterday morning, no photo 'cos it was there and gone faster than a fart.

Bit of nest building in Garden this morning.
2019-03-28 002 (1).jpg

Bull Finches ? ,(M and F) Pennington Flash,couple of days ago. View attachment 384400 View attachment 384401

Not sure if these are related to them:

Goldfinch?

Nah, I'm just a total ignoramus with this stuff. Curious to know what it was though. I'll work it out.

We had some kind of Goldfinch/Bullfinch in our garden and watched our bastard Tom Cat devour it in real time before us. We tried to get to it, but, too late. Love cats, but they are little ******* sometimes. Killing just for the sport. Grrhhh...

Couple more shots from the video. As always, please excuse the quality. I'll put the vid up and it doesn't seem so bad. It's nice to see them move about and chirp a bit.

These little fellas don't mind having a row, I'll give them that.

Maybe it is some kind of Goldfinch?

Such beautiful birds, all in our back garden. All we need to do is put out a few morsels for them.

I've got a few shots of the tits as well. Such beautiful birds. Fairly common, but very flighty and hard to catch. Great photos.

I've been long in to the stars, but this past winter has been the worst in about 3 decades. It's been really bad. You just can't see the night sky any more. Maybe things will get better. It's been a terrible season for astronomers.

I spent a lot of money on new eyepieces for my telescope and I've still not had a chance to use them.

It would be good to get a new scope and start observing things on earth. Just a thought.

Do you use monoculars or binoculars to photograph this stuff? I'm curious.

Not sure if these are related to them:

Goldfinch?

Nah, I'm just a total ignoramus with this stuff. Curious to know what it was though. I'll work it out.

We had some kind of Goldfinch/Bullfinch in our garden and watched our bastard Tom Cat devour it in real time before us. We tried to get to it, but, too late. Love cats, but they are little ******* sometimes. Killing just for the sport. Grrhhh...

Couple more shots from the video. As always, please excuse the quality. I'll put the vid up and it doesn't seem so bad. It's nice to see them move about and chirp a bit.

These little fellas don't mind having a row, I'll give them that.

Maybe it is some kind of Goldfinch?

Such beautiful birds, all in our back garden. All we need to do is put out a few morsels for them.
As you say, it (they?) is a Goldfinch.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alfred_the_great ARRSE: Site Issues 3
Awol The NAAFI Bar 26
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 40