Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The ARRSE map thread

Okay, i had a quick look and although there are plenty of individual ones i couldnt see a generic map thread.

i love a map. being an engineer and therefor probably a bit autistic i can sit and stare at maps for hours, doesnt matter where or when they're from.

please use this thread to post any you've stumbled across, stolen, bought or been given.

after moving house recently the box that lived under the bed in the spare room and contained a lot of random tour gash got heaved out and prepped for its new life in the loft. However, before making the assent into darkness i found this:

map1.jpg

not quite sure what to do with it yet.

i was also given this as a kid and it currently hangs proudly in the downstairs bog (Mrs. DD not sharing my love of all things cartographical);

scotland1611.jpg

I have my great uncle's silk escape map of Europe which he was issued before jumping into Normandy on D Day and smashing up Merville.

I'm waiting for a big anniversary then I'm cashing in the medals, map, signed copy of his book, para reg beret and original Denison smock.

A collection like that's gotta be worth some coin.

;)

I also have about 50 National Geographic maps from the 50's and 60's, they are worth **** all but are quite attractive. I quite fancy wallpapering my downstairs bog with them.

I have my great uncle's silk escape map of Europe which he was issued before jumping into Normandy on D Day and smashing up Merville.

I'm waiting for a big anniversary then I'm cashing in the medals, map, signed copy of his book, para reg beret and original Denison smock.

;)

I also have about 50 National Geographic maps from the 50's and 60's, they are worth **** all but are quite attractive. I quite fancy wallpapering my downstairs bog with them.

Ravers,
in amongst your NG maps do you have one of Germany, preferably northish near Bremen.
Reason is, I have my old man's WW2 service record and I'm trying to pin down the place where he was wounded in 45, I've narrowed it down almost precisely, just depends on where an old road crosses a small river. between Cloppenburg and Ahlhorn.

I've got a silk escape map of Iraq which I was given on a MAPRIC course a few years ago.

Is it worth anything?

not a thing. tell you what, because i'm a top bloke i'll swap you the printed off copy of the above op box map that i was too lazy to fablon and therefor comes complete with sweaty thumb print.

;)

this i like

Ravers,
in amongst your NG maps do you have one of Germany, preferably northish near Bremen.
Reason is, I have my old man's WW2 service record and I'm trying to pin down the place where he was wounded in 45, I've narrowed it down almost precisely, just depends on where an old road crosses a small river. between Cloppenburg and Ahlhorn.

I've got Germany: Atlas Plate 35 June 1959.

Given that the scale is 1:1,520,640, I doubt it'll be much use to you I'm afraid mate.

Ravers,

JCM,

Have you tried Google Maps? I can't post links or screenshots from here, but a quick look shows the B213 Cloppenburger Str crossing the R Lethe about 2km W of Ahlhorn. It's pretty likely that the modern road is built over an older one...

Lat/Lon for a search is 52.898496,8.171766