Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ARRSE Guide To Successful Living - suggest a chapter

Yokel

LE
Yes.

.../Cont.

18. Remember that a large proportion of lots of things is better than all of just one or two things.
19. Keep an eye on the big picture.
20. Do the easy things first - like in an exam.
21. In a crisis carry on with critical tasks, communicate, and work on the problem logically.
22. Be careful what you say/write/fantasise about.

..../Cont.

23. Strike whilst the iron is hot - opportunity knocks rarely so grab it with both hands.
24. Be ready for opportunities - and threats.
25. Remember Machiavelli - if an injury is to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance is not to be feared.
26. Remember Newton's three laws of motion. They also apply to how people think.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

27. Remember the Shannon-Hartley Law. Speak loudly and slowly in short bursts. Be as precise as possible in your use of words, and check to make sure the message has been received.
28. Remember that the amount of information contained by a message relates to its rarity - unfortunately that makes it difficult to accept emotionally or politically.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

29. Remember absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
30. Remember correlation does not imply causation.
31. Ask 'why' repeatedly to find root causes.
32. Try not to do anything today that you will regret tommorow.
33. Remember that anything with high energy has real potential to cause harm or damage.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

34. If you cannot look forward, look back. Think of a tunnelling machine. It cannot see forward, but it can use a laser to ensure that the tunnel it is digging continues to be in a straight line.
35. Stop cursing the dark. Light a candle instead.
36. Remember you cannot change one part of a system without changing everything.

Chapter one: Not your circus, not your monkeys
Chapter two: What other people think of you is not your business
Chapter three: Give up all hope of having a better past.
Chapter four: What I fear ...I create.
Chapter five: What is the worst thing that will happen
Chapter six: Disagreement doesn’t equal rejection.
Chapter seven: The future is now.
Chapter eight: Don’t take yourself so seriously.
Chapter Nine: Never suck cock for money.
Chapter ten: This is not a dress rehearsal, you only have one shot at life.

Last edited:
Chapter one: Not your circus, not your monkeys
Chapter two: What other people think of you is not your business
Chapter three: Give up all hope of having a better past.
Chapter four: What I fear ...I create.
Chapter five: What is the worst thing that will happen
Chapter six: Disagreement doesn’t equal rejection.
Chapter seven: The future is now.
Chapter eight: Don’t take yourself so seriously.
Chapter Nine: Never suck cock for money.
Chapter ten: This is not a dress rehearsal, you only have one shot at life.
I could definitely help you with those chapters as they are all things I have said too, albeit in different words (Apart from the last one which is almost verbatim).

I could definitely help you with those chapters as they are all things I have said too, albeit in different words (Apart from the last one which is almost verbatim).
Yes the last one is regularly used but it’s also the one never followed by the majority and upon reflection should be coupled with chapter five.

Yokel

LE
I do not agree that what other people think of you is not your problem. Reputation and image is everything. If you are at a job interview or on a date and someone thinks you are a twat then the outcome will be disappointing. Spreading malicious rumours is a type of passive aggressive bullying and can skew others' perceptions with damaging consequences.

I do not agree that what other people think of you is not your problem. Reputation and image is everything. If you are at a job interview or on a date and someone thinks you are a twat then the outcome will be disappointing. Spreading malicious rumours is a type of passive aggressive bullying and can skew others' perceptions with damaging consequences.
I agree with you, everything you say is correct. It’s still not you business as it’s unlikely you will be able to repair any damage so you may as well just move on.
Life’s to short

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

37. Remember that your image is important - do everything to strengthen your signal and minimise the noise. Think like an advertiser.
38. Prioritise immediate and urgent tasks.
39. Make small changes first.
40. Failing to plan is the same as planning to fail.
41. No plan survives contact with reality - be prepared to adapt and improvise.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

42. Remember gravity - looking into a camera will not stop you from falling.
43. Learn from minor failures to prevent major ones. Experience is Golden.
44. Check for typos - particularly if you are using a mobile phone or typing in a hurry.
45. Be aware of comfort zones and the danger of getting trapped in one.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

46. Listen to your body. Obey your thirst, pay attention to aches and pains, watch for signs of tiredness, and look for the absence of the normal or presence of the abnormal.
47. Never break confidences or renege on promises.
48. Remember that you are part of nature - an IPod or XBox has nothing in common with you, a dog, cat, or goldfish has. So does every creature.
49. Today is preparation for tommorow.

..../Cont.

46. Listen to your body. Obey your thirst, pay attention to aches and pains, watch for signs of tiredness, and look for the absence of the normal or presence of the abnormal.
47. Never break confidences or renege on promises.
48. Remember that you are part of nature - an IPod or XBox has nothing in common with you, a dog, cat, or goldfish has. So does every creature.
49. Today is preparation for tommorow.
Could be totally wrong but can't help feeling your past few suggestings are engineered to a situation you are personally involved in and feel could have been handled better.

Are you currently wanted by the Police? You do know men cannot have babies?
Ah, didn't you get the memo? Obviously not, do keep up....

As for me, the inside page should read "Don't aim for happiness, it never lasts. Try for "content", and be pessimistic because then if you're wrong its for the good."

The rest of the book would be blank pages to use for taking notes or toilet paper, depending on the thickness of the paper.

Yokel

LE
Could be totally wrong but can't help feeling your past few suggestings are engineered to a situation you are personally involved in and feel could have been handled better.
Not really - I started this thread in this forum with a thought of non Woke advice, but decided to settle for a list of rules for playing the cards you get given as best you can, or coping in a period of stress. For example when Mum had her Stroke it was very stressful, but I found having routines helped.

Many of them are simply my rules and values, as you know I value integrity very highly, and also things like attention to detail and forgiveness. Others reflect my background and technical education. The more you study things made by humans the more you learn about humans and how they think.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

50. Prevention is better than cure.
51. Do not think "if it ain't black, put it back" when looking to see if something needs taking out of the oven
52. Talk to the widest group of people you can. Even if they hold completely different views they will help refine your arguments. If they do different things to you, you will be able to learn things.

Last edited:
..../Cont.

50. Prevention is better than cure.
51. Do not think "if it ain't black, put it back" when looking to see if something needs taking out of the oven
52. Talk to the widest group of people you can. Even if they hold completely different views they will help refine your arguments. If they do different things to you, you will be able to learn things.
53. Instead of thinking "We can't do that difficult thing because...", think "This is difficult so in order to achieve it we need to..." (Or more simply expressed: If you really want do something you'll always find a way and if you really don't want to do something you'll always find an excuse.)

Yokel

LE
53. Instead of thinking "We can't do that difficult thing because...", think "This is difficult so in order to achieve it we need to..." (Or more simply expressed: If you really want do something you'll always find a way and if you really don't want to do something you'll always find an excuse.)

Yes. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Fences can be cut or climbed, walls can be climbed or breached, and so on.

..../Cont.

54. Only take a long shot it you are able to reload in time for a closer range one.
55. Protect your nuts with a washer.
56.Take small bites - particularly at first.
57. Remember that rest is as important as work and play.
58. You can cope with any 'what' if you have a 'why'.
59. Play to your strengths, not others' weaknesses.

Yokel

LE
..../Cont.

60. Do not look up to others because of their wealth, status, or qualifications, or look down on them because they have less of these things or because of their job. Seek to speak to them whilst looking in their eyes, accepting them as equal partners in our shared endeavour of life.

Latest Threads