The ARRSE Cookbook

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Asmallbrownduck - Wash your mouth out!!! :wink:

As to the book, I have been thinking about it whilst walking Mutt Mysteronand my thoughts about this sees a few chapters that are obvious:

"The Field Kitchen" - Classic Army Recipes, that the rest of the world don't eat and we see every day: Egg Banjos, Marmite Potatoes, Range Stew, etc.

"The Rat Pack" - How to improve 24hour Ration Packs. Possibly try and get a celebrity challenge.

"The Officers' Mess" - The fancy recipes.

"The Cookhouse" - Users variations on Basic and classic Recipes.

"The Hardest Course in the Army" - handy tips on how to improve your cooking techniques.

Thoughts anyone?

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Good point - we could also do with a recipe from the commonwealth nations that regularly have people serving in the Army:

Fiji, St.Kitts & Nevis, Scotland, Wales - that sort of thing..... :thumleft:

Ventress

LE
Top idea, I've seen several recipie books done by the Old Bill and they sell quite well as there is probably one or two good meals contained within.

Jeanne_d_Arc

Clanker
As well as recipes, how about including some of the arrsepedia entries on army food? This would mean that the book would reflect the culture and language of army food as well.

Great idea.

I'll donate my curry biltong and bat's nest soup recipes. Definitely for the 'NAAFI Bar and Cafe' section.

A good idea and I'll take one, whether it be a leaflet or a six volume encyclopaedia of culinary art.

BUT IT MUST HAVE PICTURES OF EACH RECIPE! Mrs Puttees won't read it, otherwise.

A further suggestion for a chapter "Immediate Action Drills" or how to rescue your recipe when it starts going wrong. "Cake rising, cake rising, cake stops.... etc."

ViroBono said:
The possibility of putting together an ARRSE cookbook has been raised in a couple of threads. Any profit would go to a suitable military charity.

I think that this could be workable. It would need the CO's agreement to use of the ARRSE name etc.

My idea is that whilst such a book should of course include such classic British military recipes such as the magnificent Egg Banjo, Cheesy Hammy Eggy and so on, there are not enough to fill more than a slim volume. Therefore, I would include recipes either from, or inspired by, places the British forces have served - which is almost everywhere.

Whilst some recipes are fairly standard, it would be necessary to avoid plagiarism - so recipes should not be lifted directly from the pages of other people's books, especially those who might sue.

No doubt a celeb chef or two could be persuaded to contribute a recipe or a few words.

What do others think - worthwhile, or a dead duck?
I'd buy it, if its good I'd read if not, then it would judt be expensive toilet paper.

soleil

War Hero
I've heard about a RM Chef who does cookery demos to kids and who shows them a curry recipe with a "special" ingredient in it (I won't say what it is, except that you can find them in sweet shops).

You might be able to include that recipe in the book.

soleil said:
I've heard about a RM Chef who does cookery demos to kids and who shows them a curry recipe with a "special" ingredient in it (I won't say what it is, except that you can find them in sweet shops).

You might be able to include that recipe in the book.
You can get Rohypnol in sweet shops? No wonder there are so many teenage pregnancies.

Maybe, along with the recipes, some top tips from army chefs related to the recipe?

skintboymike said:
Maybe, along with the recipes, some top tips from army chefs related to the recipe?

Puttees that was very cutting - no egg banjos for you!!! :D

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I mentioned this to my Mum the other day, she said she would buy it. I think it could do very well and all for a good cause as well. Win win if you ask me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mighty_Blighty The NAAFI Bar 37
mercurydancer COVID-19 392
Gundulph Cookery 1

Latest Threads