The ARRSE Cookbook

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ViroBono, Jun 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The possibility of putting together an ARRSE cookbook has been raised in a couple of threads. Any profit would go to a suitable military charity.

I think that this could be workable. It would need the CO's agreement to use of the ARRSE name etc.

My idea is that whilst such a book should of course include such classic British military recipes such as the magnificent Egg Banjo, Cheesy Hammy Eggy and so on, there are not enough to fill more than a slim volume. Therefore, I would include recipes either from, or inspired by, places the British forces have served - which is almost everywhere.

Whilst some recipes are fairly standard, it would be necessary to avoid plagiarism - so recipes should not be lifted directly from the pages of other people's books, especially those who might sue.

No doubt a celeb chef or two could be persuaded to contribute a recipe or a few words.

What do others think - worthwhile, or a dead duck?
  2. That was my idea! So naturally I think it is a great idea. Perhaps Sir Richard Dannatt's take on scrambled eggs could be included? Or Sir Jock Stirrup's osso bucco, lots of backbone on show. Oh and SOSD(V) could perhaps talk us through the hash he makes most days?
  3. Worthwhile.

And a book of Arrse quotes or "my Arrse says", again with proceeds going to a good cause
  4. I do a steaming pot noodle. Would that help?
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Good Idea! Could we get Ugly's Ghurka Curry recipies in there....
  6. More than a good idea. I make a wicked lasagne (sp?) and would be happy to pose naked (with necessary apron of course) displaying the finished article....

sorry, did I actually say that out loud?
  7. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Brilliant idea - and I will even give up my secret recipe for white chocolate and basil parfait.

I may even offer up my carpaccio of beef and the Lime Leaf and Lemongrass Panna Cotta.

So count me in!!

Edited to add: the real challenge would be getting Gordon Ramsay (who supports the Forces) and maybe Marco Pierre White to offer something. Get Bear Grylls to do a survival recipe as well.
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

In my mind's eye, I see short quotations from the deathless postings of ARRSERs across the bottom of the pages...
  9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

The name:

"Cake and ARRSE"!!!!!!!

I can see the advert:

Mysteron sits on his Chesterfield with the speaking trumpet in his hand,"Hello, Waterstones. I am looking for a cookery book called "Cake & ARRSE" that has a recipe in it by a chap called Mysteron..........Oh you do, my name.........M.Y.Steron."
  10. I'd better start coming up with witty,publishable material if I want to make the cut then eh?

I do a great Tommy Cooper impression,but I appreciate that it's hard to transfer that to paper.
  11. I've got the cookbook from the Brigade of Ghurkas if people want recipes from there.
  12. Like the idea, perhaps include a section on favourite ways to enhance rat pack meals.
  13. If there's a good one for curry, I'd be interested. :p

Actually, I have been looking for a decent daal bhat recipe if there is one available.
  14. Genius idea, I'd buy/read/recommend it...

And with celebs:

1) Gordon's pro-forces
    2) Jamie cooked with the RLC, I believe, for School Dinners- might do something to maintain his cuddly everyman stylings
    3) Nigella's got a large ARRSE following... badoomtish.
  15. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Bloody brilliant idea.

However all recipes would need to be tried and tested, perhaps at St Omer. If tested here they can be adjusted to suit the tastes of everyone, so as not to rot the insides of the average civvy. Otherwise you are bound to get people complaining.

It would need to be funny and with a large range of foods. Talking of range, range stew would have to be added to the book.

Rather than use peoples Arrse names when saying who gave the recipe, perhaps use their surname and regt. For instance, on a bloody mary recipe, it could have been given by former L/Cpl Cooper of the RAMC.