The Arrse Coalition Poll

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cpunk, May 11, 2010.

1. Conservative minority government

2. Conservative-Lib Dem formal coalition

3. Conservative-Lib Dem 'agreement'

4. Labour-Lib Dem minority coalition

5. Labour led 'progressive' majority coalition

6. A new election very soon

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Now that the votes are in, what result do we want to see?
  2. Nothing that involves us getting closer to Europe.
  3. Conservative-Lib Dem 'agreement'

This will give the agreement a majority in the HoC, so they can get on with sorting out the economy (surely the most important and pressing problem)
    They can horse trade for all the other sticking points at a later date.
    A Lib/Lab pact will not be stable and they will have to make concessions to the Nats in Wales and Scotland.
    Also it is in the national interest to make sure Mandleson has no control over anyone ever again!!!
  4. I went for the Lab-Lib Minority BUT only because I want it to fail miserably within 6 months, in the grand scheme of things, it will be for the long term good of the country.

I am undecided on the Tory leadership, Hague would be my choice for leader any day of the week, but I'm not convinced they could do a swap in time to convince the electorate, especially if a LabLib government failed as quickly as I would hope/expect.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

A new election fairly soon.

I know that that will be a huge pain in the arrse, but people have had their protest vote, GB is going so lets have a 2 way fight to see who really should be running the country as the voters wish.
  6. One that will bring in a fixed term parliament term.

One that will ensure that no non-elected person be brought into the cabinet, politicians are supposed to be accountable to the electorate adhoc members are not. That would mean no more Mandleson
  7. I don't know why anyone is surprised that negotiations are taking so long. Get used to it, this will be the norm under PR. PR will produce alliances like you've never seen before and will probably result in weeks or even months of negotiations as leader after leader attempts to form a Government.
    If you throw a serious situation, like the economy, into the mix then you know that it may even take years to get an alliance together that is strong enough to tackle the situation.
    Clegg will take his time and forge the best deal he can get. That deal must ideologically suit the majority of his party and he must also give them something to sweeten the deal, obtaining some sort of agreement on PR will probably appease most LD members.
    It's probably true to say that they would be better off with Labour who would just give them some sort of PR without referring to the electorate to see if they want such a fundamental constitutional change (I think you'll agree they have a past record on that) but the Tories will at least offer a referendum.
    Politics is all about furthering your party's ideology, the only way that a small party gets to do that is to hold the balance of power between the two larger parties. No one is putting party before country (or, another way, everyone is putting party before country) they are just doing what is necessary to bring about reform inline with their party's ideology which governs how they rule the country, you cannot really separate one from the other. If Labour had one Cabinet Minister who was the best there has ever been at that post, do you think the Conservatives would invite that Minister to remain in office because it was for the good of the country?
    It's Clegg's job to get the best deal he can and he'll want to form the strongest alliance possible, the one that will last the longest because that is how long the LD ability to influence the Governing of the UK will last. He is pragmatic enough to know he will have to lose a few ideology points to get longevity, it will be a mark of his ability that he makes the right alliance and makes it work for as long as he possibly can.
  8. I think we should be back to the polls and do the job properly this time. Either that or Her Maj declares a constitutional monarchy
  9. I'm torn, the pound is falling fast so I want to tories to come in and get a grip of the economy , on the other hand if Labour and Lib dems form a government no-one will ever trust them again for the attempted coup. Labour have done a good job of dumbing down the proles, but not enough to attempt a banana republic style coup and get away with it, once finally shifted they would face a very very long time in opposition.
  10. It's got to be a Conservative minority government, who can then publicise how they are going to get us out the mess we are in. Then they can show what a bunch of cnuts all the others are if they vote against those measures and force another election.
  11. I went for a new election, because the tories would romp home and the Lib/Lab pact would be sent to oblivion.
    Time for some civil disobedience, BA are going strike, and I think we need a serious fuel protest to help focus the mind of the politicos.
    I would love to see a Lib/Lab coalition fail but I think it would destroy the country and lead to a fire sale of government gilts, S and P, Moody would then adjust our credit rating to the same as Greece and the IMF would end up being the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Will last person to leave, cancel the milk and turn off the lights.

I jest not!!

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The Lib Dems have been found sufficiently wanting to rule out ANY kind of a deal with the Conservatives in my mind. They had the opportunity to honour their pledge to support the party with the most seats/votes and could have got the representation they needed as part of such a coalition. Instead, they chose to double-deal and basically blackmail the entire country into something that wasn't voted for, even to the point of being party to keeping Brown in power for 5 more months of chaos.

The Conservatives and the country would do very well from steering well clear of the lot of them. If Labour and the Limps want to form a minority coalition of losers, including the nationalists, let them. All the more quickly will they consign themselves to the gutter. Britain will pay the price in the short term, but it will recover. This coalition of liars and cheats will pay the price in the long term as people remember their behaviour in a time of national financial crisis.

If the Conservatives have any gonads, they'll rule out a Limp pact, and within 12 months, we'll get to vote again.
  13. The Pound is currently against the Euro at 1.168 which is the highest I've seen it for at least a year. Possibly more to do with Greece than the present impasse but the current political situation hasn't put the pound in freefall against the Euro.
  14. Hmmmmm? You know, I can't decide. I'm possibly as "left" as they come. I have an ingrained believe that mankind must take precedence over money, greed, property. And I really do have no comprehension of the feelings of those on the "right" who defend capitalism. I've heard a plethora of opinions on where we go from here. Some seem reasoned, adult and responsible. We all know politicians can be stupid, childish and selfish. But I think most of us also acknowledge that there are a few that, even if we know their political philosophy is a million miles from our own, we trust that they are honourable, wise, trustworthy, honest and, basically, a decent bloke(ess). My hopes are that something "good" might come out of these discussions, but I'm not sure I'm too optimistic. Interesting times ......

EDIT: It must have taken me 15 minutes to type those few words. There are loads of posts before mine now. I despair.
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It was slightly higher last week.
    Yesterday the markets were all pulled up by the Greek solution - including Sterling which now has an umbrella too. That bubble popped in Asia this morning. Liquidity is great, but the systemic risk is there and time is needed to see recovery taking shape, and most importantly debt being slowed and reversed.
    Chinese inflation is an extra factor too - that will possibly be tackled this week and there will be knock on effect on world economic growth/recovery.
    Tip of the day: Watch Estonia. :)