Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The ARRSE Beer Guide.

Well, have to agree with a few other people; London Pride or Bombardier.

Though if you're down in Cornwall Tinners is ace.

Cornwall HSD, then Jennings in Notts, Badger is ok but pickled partridge is a little heavy and I like most porters inc Black Isle, St Peters (any St Peters beers). Timothy Taylor, Youngs is a nice southern drop as is Harveys and Sussex. Keg beer just isnt the same and I know why the older lads peferred Guiness when we went on the lash in Ireland and Scotland as they seem to like Keg up there. I do like a nice IPA in summer.

As previously stated, anything draught by Timothy Taylors. Only problem is it doesn't travel well and there are very few pubs that stock it that far from its home town of (shudder) Keighley.

The best option is Haworth - get yourself on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway when the buffet/bar car is on; spending all day shuttling between Keighley and Haworth on a steam train getting royally smashed :D

Also concur with the choice of Sam Adams if you're after something a little closer to lager.

As mentioned, Theakstons Old Peculiar or XB at a push, but nothing quite beats a pint of dog bolter, only trouble is there aren't many of the Firkin pubs left. :cry:

feu_de_joie said:
Shepheard Neame Bishops Finger, actually anything by Shepheards Neame is good. Fullers Pride. Carlsberg Elephant - In Denmark.

There used to be a botlled beer by name of Barclays Imperial Russian Stout, brewed by Charringtons, does anyone know if it is still available?

We used to mix it with 1080 cider. Fcuk me that was a cheap night out!

When I am back in Blight I am quite partial to some of these:

http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/

OK, I doubt that many of you have heard of the New Inn at Cropton. It's a pub in the truest sense, it's for people who enjoy a drink and conversation with others. No f*****g duke boxes, musak, and no fruit machines or soup in the basket. The great delight of this place, is the macro brewery they have behind the pub.
The number of beers change regularly, but they are all very good. I've not seen the beers away from the pub, so I don't know if they travel well, however, if you are near Nr. Pickering...

Twelfth Night is a good Bath ale.

I'm also a fan of Butcombe brewery, along with Bombadier, Spitfire, Tribute (St Austel's I believe) and Courage.

There used to be a Belgian youth oriented "alcho-pop" called K8,came in a bright red bottle to appeal to the kiddies.
However inside it was an 8% kriek,one of the nicest Ive tasted. It was on draught in the Bar Fringe in Manchester for a while,and I believe its still made in Belgum

I used to live in the Duke of York in Eccles (I was the landlady`s toyboy)(it was a while ago) and I used to virtually live on Taylors Ram Tam . A fine beer. I always thought it was made in a specially way until Taylors accidentally delivered 15 barrels of Landlord instead of 8 Ram Tam,7 Landlord. Tony the Taylors rep turned up with a big jug of caramel,we poured some in 8 of the barrels,kicked them around the cellars,and Hey presto,Ram Tam!
A little of the colour went out of my life that day

We used to sell Jennings Sneck Lifter too,and Marston Pedigree,as well as Bulmers bright orange cider

Thanks Jarrod
It was 24 years ago. Taylors came in 18 Gallon kilderkins,not those tiny metric equivalent of 9s that they do now,and I could do all sorts of things that age and being f*cked up stop me from doing now

Made stillaging them harder than now.
I got a barrel of Ram Tam off Tony the Taylors rep for my 23rd Birthday. turned up in the back of a van,midnight the night before , with a blue ribbon round it. May be my best ever birthday present

Savvern - Anything from Shepheard Neame
Northern - Wensleydale Brewery Coverdale IPA Poacher or Hawkshead Red
Scots - Anything Oyster Brewery Seil (brewed by a Yarkshurmun)
Welsh - Brains (in Wales only as it does not travel)
Boxhead - Augustiner-Bräu München
Belgique - Too many to name :D
French - Nil
Spam - Georgetown Pale Ale

12volts said:
OK, I doubt that many of you have heard of the New Inn at Cropton. It's a pub in the truest sense, it's for people who enjoy a drink and conversation with others. No f*****g duke boxes, musak, and no fruit machines or soup in the basket. The great delight of this place, is the macro brewery they have behind the pub.
The number of beers change regularly, but they are all very good. I've not seen the beers away from the pub, so I don't know if they travel well, however, if you are near Nr. Pickering...

The landlord had the distinction of being the only bloke who ever asked me if I was old enough to drink - and served me anyway! (That's going back to 1974!) At the time, as with a few pubs on the North York Moors, Theakston's Old Peculier was served from a small wooden cask mounted on the bar. Bar temperature and lethal - the landlord would sell a maximum of two pints of it to anybody who wasn't a regular (note - small "r" :) )

Back to the main subject:

Theakston's Old Peculier, especially if from a small wooden cask on the bar.
Timothy Taylors Landlord (thanks for the introduction to it, bro-in-law).
Tetley's (hand-pumped) Mild.
Tsingtao (even though I realise that it's just Carlsberg).
Cameron's Bitter (for some reason, the electric is better than the hand-pumped).
Dog (i.e. Newcastle Brown Ale) - but only if you pour it from a great height into a pint glass to get rid of the gas - sorry Geordies with your strange way of drinking it. If you don't do this, you explode halfway down the third bottle.

I feel ashamed to admit this, but I also developed a taste for Ward's Bitter (I believe the brewery doesn't exist any more). The first dozen or so times I tried it, I detested it. But as a Ward's pub was the only pub for miles when I was a student, I persevered. Then, suddenly, it wasn't too bad. Gradually, it became the best beer in Sheffield, even when there was a choice. I ended up making a weekly call into the brewery to collect a four and a half gallon polypin....