The ARRSE Beer Guide.

ugly

LE
They might have been mackems but they made a fine nut brown ale!

Thwaites, Liberation Ale (England)
Released in bottle in 2004 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of "D-Day", with 10 pence from each sale going to the British Legion charity, Liberation is a dark gold/red ale with a short-lived, off-white head. The nose is very fruity and gently malty, with a nice undercurrent of leafy Goldings hops. On the palate this is a creamy-textured, luscious beer with a big red fruit flavour, a little sweet suggestion, and some malty, biscuity character. There's a good acid balance, with some crispness and freshness in the finish. 5.2% ABV.On 4 for a fiver at Morrisons at the moment. :wink:

Attachments

Labatt 50, the king of French- Canadian pissups!

Old Speckeld Hen is my curent tipple of choice.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
I have recently sampled the River Cottage Nettle Beer by Hugh Eats Ferns and Little Things.

It actually makes your tongue tingle from the nettles - great stuff!!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
For those of you who've been watching the NAAFI, HERE, it might be worth sticking your head in the Terminus in the Isle of Man.

They DON'T do a nice line in Port diluted with lemonade!

Talking of Mackem b4stards (I'd been in the North East two years before I discovered this was actually two words), does anyone like Cameron's Strongarm Bitter? If so, you can have my share too - it is fouler than McEwans 80 in a can. How somebody can produce nectar of the Gods like Castle Eden and Strongarm in the same county, let alone company defeats me...

Cuddles said:
Talking of Mackem b4stards (I'd been in the North East two years before I discovered this was actually two words), does anyone like Cameron's Strongarm Bitter? If so, you can have my share too - it is fouler than McEwans 80 in a can. How somebody can produce nectar of the Gods like Castle Eden and Strongarm in the same county, let alone company defeats me...
I'll drink yours, though, as I mentioned in my earlier post, it's got to be from the electric pump. There's a perception that hand-pulled beers are best - but not in this case!

Cuddles said:
Because Camerons is from Hartlepool, (which makes them Smoggies, rather than Mackems) which is in Cleveland, not Tyne & Wear. And Castle Eden was stolen from the Castle Eden Brewery, which was in Durham (who are neither Smoggies, Mackems nor Geordies).
So, you have a beer that isn't made by Mackems, made in Cleveland which tastes like piss and one which they stole/bought (more likely stole, it is Middlesbrough after all) from County Durham and now happens to be made in the same brewery.

Clear as mud? :p

I must plug the Hog's Back Brewery on this thread. Their TEA (Traditional English Ale) is nectar. Their polypins were a regular feature in our TAC bar.
They also brew Burma Star ale in bottles which donates some money per bottle to the Burma Star Association.

Fill your boots for a good cause!

salforddude

War Hero
Little Creatures pale ale in bottles is very drinkable. Met the rep at the Northern Bar trade show,tried to get him to import it draught,but he reckoned it would be "prohibitvely expensive" Nice bloke,gave me a slab of the beer!

Latest Threads