The ARRSE Beer Guide.

A couple of recommendations -

Innis and Gunn - Mangoes on the run. Have developed a taste for this stuff.

Also recently discovered Mikkeller - have had a few of their beers and have yet to find one I dislike.

A couple of recommendations -

Innis and Gunn - Mangoes on the run. Have developed a taste for this stuff.

Also recently discovered Mikkeller - have had a few of their beers and have yet to find one I dislike.
Citrus beers don't work for me. Just wierd. But each to their own. Current pint is Shipyard American Pale.

I've quit most of my drinking for a while now. The only alcohol I've drunk over the last couple of years is when I've gone to the last couple of Oktoberfest celebrations with my friends and had a stein or two of Erdinger Weissbrau's Oktoberfest brew.

Bloody love that stuff. Kinda glad it's a bit hard to get a hold off around here, I'd restart my regular drinking if it was easier to get.

Last edited:
Citrus beers don't work for me. Just wierd. But each to their own. Current pint is Shipyard American Pale.

I've just recently started to subscribe to Brussels Beer Project - something like 30 euros every two months and they send over 11 experimental beers. This month had a beer that is best described as tasting like a stout, but had also been brewed with chillis. Not something I would drink all the time, but certainly nice as a one off experience. Also have a few other interesting beers, including one made with Specuoos (Biscof in the UK) which I've not cracked open yet.

If anyone else is interested btw - this is the group who do the Beer at Home deal. Worth it for 30 euros (including P+P).

Will look into the Shipyard as I'm rather partial to a pale ale.

I've just recently started to subscribe to Brussels Beer Project - something like 30 euros every two months and they send over 11 experimental beers. This month had a beer that is best described as tasting like a stout, but had also been brewed with chillis. Not something I would drink all the time, but certainly nice as a one off experience. Also have a few other interesting beers, including one made with Specuoos (Biscof in the UK) which I've not cracked open yet.

If anyone else is interested btw - this is the group who do the Beer at Home deal. Worth it for 30 euros (including P+P).

What's Biscof mucker, I've Googled it and comes up with biscuits?

Mufulira

Old-Salt

Just slightly Off Topic My most favourite Bar Maid started a fine trend called Poets Club "Piss on Everything Tomorrow's Saturday" on a Friday preferably at 1300 hrs, we'd meet after the martini drinkers had slunk back to their Kraal of work. She's introduce a new beer or two and await each member's comments and mark it down on the membership card. Each entry was part of what she termed a 'Stop. Each Stop had 5 slots for a different beer and your comments. After 5 separate 'Stops' or to be precise, 30 different beers, she'd pour your next one on the House. The serious members, 3 or more cards, were awarded an engraved mug to be suspended from the bar and it was filled immediately upon one's entry into the Pub. Her tips were truly memorable...

What's Biscof mucker, I've Googled it and comes up with biscuits?
It is a biscuit mate. There most popular beer - Delta IPA - uses left over loaves of bread from one of the local bread factories as grain. In this instance, I think they are using biscof as the grain.

Last edited:
Managed to pick up a bottle of Tynt Meadow at the weekend too - still not touched it yet (generally I might only drink three or four beers a week, but I tend to buy interesting beers whenever I see them - so have what my other half calls the Frat House Corner in the lounge - whereas I call it the bar). Tynt Meadow is a British Trappist beer - tastes a bit like a porter and pairs well with blue cheese.

Also found this the other day - Homage To Mesopotamia — BRINKBURN ST BREWERY - pretty interesting. The grape isn't fermented as far as I understand, but it certainly adds an interesting flavour.

Last edited:
It is a biscuit mate.. There most popular beer - Delta IPA - uses left over loafs of bread from one of the local bread factories as grain. In this instance, I think they are using biscof as the grain.
Crate Brewery do a similar one for the new Silo restaurant upstairs. Personally I thought it tasted bloody awful but each to their own. Good food though for an opening night, we're booked back in for NYE for dinner then onto boaty mcboatface to the fireworks.

Crate Brewery do a similar one for the new Silo restaurant upstairs. Personally I thought it tasted bloody awful but each to their own. Good food though for an opening night, we're booked back in for NYE for dinner then onto boaty mcboatface to the fireworks.
The restaurant looks interesting. Reminds me a bit of Forage and Chatter in Edinburgh.

I'm down in London for a few days visiting the folks over Xmas, so I also plan to visit the Mikkeller Bar in E2. Mikkeller do some decent beers.

Managed to pick up a bottle of Tynt Meadow at the weekend too - still not touched it yet (generally I might only drink three or four beers a week, but I tend to buy interesting beers whenever I see them - so have what my other half calls the Frat House Corner in the lounge - whereas I call it the bar). Tynt Meadow is a British Trappist beer - tastes a bit like a porter and pairs well with blue cheese.

Also found this the other day - Homage To Mesopotamia — BRINKBURN ST BREWERY - pretty interesting. The grape isn't fermented as far as I understand, but it certainly adds an interesting flavour.
I got a couple of these last year. My opinion: a bit harsh. Some time in the cellar might help. In my humble opinion, CAMRA sticking their oar in didn’t help.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
The USA does produce some excellent India Pale Ales (IPAs), here where I am there is one called 'Shipyard' its something of a favorite of mine, IPA's are a bit 'trendy' in the UK at present. If by any chance the the 'guests' are paras, then they will happily drink their own p!55 and be happy. Strange but true.

I got a couple of these last year. My opinion: a bit harsh. Some time in the cellar might help. In my humble opinion, CAMRA sticking their oar in didn’t help.
I've got one that I picked up the other day - I might leave it for a few months before cracking it open.

Also picked up a Teku glass at the weekend - will get a few more if its as good as they say.

What did CAMRA do with Tynt Meadow?

I've got one that I picked up the other day - I might leave it for a few months before cracking it open.

Also picked up a Teku glass at the weekend - will get a few more if its as good as they say.

What did CAMRA do with Tynt Meadow?
I was a CAMRA member for many years. I called out some lazy thinking and was asked to leave.
ETA: Roger Protz and his “my opinion on beer” boredom.

Latest Threads